Young Men Living At Home With Parents Are More Violent

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Young Men Living At Home With Parents Are More Violent, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (July 20, 2009)— Young men who stay at home with their parents are more violent than those who live independently, according to new research at Queen Mary, University of London. The new study indicates that men still living at home in their early twenties have fewer responsibilities and more disposable income to spend on alcohol. This group makes up only four percent of the UK's male population but they are responsible for 16 per cent of all violent injuries in the last five years.
Delaying social independence and remaining in the parental home have become more common over the past 40 years in both the UK and the USA. Professor Jeremy Coid and Dr Ming Yang surveyed over 8000 men and women. Participants answered questions about violent behaviour over the past 5 years and mental health problems. Their results showed for the first time that staying in the parental home is a stronger risk factor for young men's violence than any other factor. Professor Coid said: "Young adult men living at home in Britain are no longer influenced by parents to conform to standards of behaviour expected of previous generations. "Violence outside of the home, mainly involving strangers, is the most common scenario and just one of a series of hedonistic and negative social behaviours such as hazardous drinking, drug misuse, sexual risk taking, and non-violent antisocial behaviour.
Odd survey, but I can definetely see how and why this occurs. They stay home, allegedly to save money but then feel emasculated and react violently. :mad:

Odd that women in the same situation don't also react violently. Maybe that's why we drink? :lmao:

Last edited:

Gogiboy1

Just Browsing
Media
OMG, Thanks for posting the info, I just got out of a 1 yr Physically & Mentally abusive relationship & They at age 38 still live w/a parent. But then again they have a psychological disorder which they refuse to take a Dr. Prescribed RX for.

Thank You!!!

lickme69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a brother that is 39 and still lives at home with my parents. He even has a child that lives there as well. My parents basically raise the child. He drinks heavily. And yes he can be very violent. He has on occasion been mean to my mother and threatened her.

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I live with my dad still and I'm 20, and I plan to move out before I turn 23, and I'm not violent at all. Actually, I'm very anti-violence and I believe that violence never solves anything and it's really really stupid. So, maybe I'm a rare case, lol.

I also never drink any alcoholic beverages, nor do I want to. I think alcohol is nasty, and the same goes for drugs. Drugs are disgusting, and I would never harm my body with those foul things. I also don't "dispose" of my income, I save it so when I'm 23, I can move out and be stable and not have to worry about paying my bills, rent, or anything else on time. I work 2 jobs, and most of the time, I'm very busy working. I have a very healthy amount of money saved up, and every penny of it has been earned by me, and not very many 20 year olds can say that. I rarely go out with friends, and I take both of my jobs very seriously.

So, this study may have some accuracies in it, but apparently it completely disregards people like me. Oh well, lol.

Last edited:

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Also, I never yell or swear, EVER, and when someone is yelling at me, I immediately walk away and won't talk to them until they can rationalize like a normal human being instead of being a loud idiot. It's just the way I handle things, and I believe everyone should do the same, but sadly, I'm probably the only one who does so.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Alcohol consumption by young people is a real plague also here in Switzerland (and drugs too). Shops are not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages (beer included) to underage persons but the youngsters manage to get them anyway. I have no idea how this could be stopped.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I live with my dad still and I'm 20.

I also never drink any alcoholic beverages, nor do I want to. I think alcohol is nasty, and the same goes for drugs... I also don't "dispose" of my income, I save it I work 2 jobs, and most of the time, I'm very busy working... I rarely go out with friends, and I take both of my jobs very seriously.

So, this study... completely disregards people like me. Oh well, lol.

You sound very responsible but not a great deal of fun. :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is it possible that violent and abusive people don't have the necessary skills in life to live on their own and use the parents as a crutch? I moved home between living in Hawaii and relocating to NY (for two months) and did not become violent or abusive, I just could not wait to get out on my own again.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What if they've got it backwards? Perhaps a different reason causes these men to be violent, alcoholic and unable to be responsible enough to support themselves, thus resulting in them staying at home. Not violent because they're at home, but at home because they're violent. Just a thought.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Years ago, parents, children, grandparents all lived together; it was just normal. Nowadays, there is the gnawing pressure to move out of your parents' home as soon as you get out of college. And if you don't, you're some kind of oddball. Here's what I have say to that: I know hundreds of horribly crazy adults who do not live anywhere near their parents. Besides, it's not anyone's business who lives with whom, unless you're paying their bills.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think that in 'western' societies, people who get out of the house at reasonably early age are, in general, likely to be more responsible for themselves. I wonder if the authors of the study (or the writer of the article) are putting the cart before the horse.

Where I live now, I know many 30 yo people still at home with parents and even grandparents. Often the bride will move in with the family until the couple has enough money saved for their own place. This is not a very violent culture.

I agree with Bullbull, I too know lots of crazy-ass adults living hundreds of miles from their parents.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
Its only one study and therefore doesn't prove anything. You can find studies on human behavior that eventually put everybody in a bad light. As far as i know there is no profile on who will be an abusive husband. They run across all classes and races. There was a case here where the ceo of frankin templeton mutual funds went to trail for martial physical abuse { a vp of franklin bought the san francisco giants }. If i remember i read something where most people in prison are high school dropouts. Life and human behavior are very complicated and i doubt they can be categorized which is why psychology and the social sciences in general are failures.

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
OMG, Thanks for posting the info, I just got out of a 1 yr Physically & Mentally abusive relationship & They at age 38 still live w/a parent. But then again they have a psychological disorder which they refuse to take a Dr. Prescribed RX for.

Thank You!!!

I had a hard time figuring out what you are trying to say because your use of the word "they" is confusing. I assume you don't want to specify the gender of the person you are referring to, but I think if you were referring to a woman you'd just say so.

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very interesting study...And from what i've seen in my experiences (friends, myself when I lived at home, etc..) its holds pretty well to reason. Recipe for disaster: mind and character of a boy, but fists and liver of a man. Of course thats not every guy, but I think it's natural to have a "me against the world" mentality when you're still initially struggling to deal with the pressures of the "real world". I guess when you can't be a man in some traditional ways (powerful, competent, self sufficient) its easy to try and compensate with other traditional male behavior: you know; being drunk cruel and stupid.

I can't decide what this reminds me of more: Quadrophenia or A Clockwork Orange

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Oh, how they love to generalize. I'm 19 and I don't plan to move out before I finished my studies. And even then it might take a while before I decide to buy a house of my own. I don't feel 'emasculated', I'm not aggressive at all and the reason why I don't move out is: Why should I leave luxury behind and move into an appartment or so. Everything's done for me and it makes my life and studying easier.

I don't know what kind of people they asked questions to, but nobody I know fits that picture.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I don't know what kind of people they asked questions to
, but nobody I know fits that picture.

Have you ever seen the Jeremy Kyle show? :rolleyes:

IMO yet another of those stupid surveys that prove nothing at all. Pick 100 people (not quite randomly) and you can prove whatever dumb statistic you want.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh, how they love to generalize. I'm 19 and I don't plan to move out before I finished my studies. And even then it might take a while before I decide to buy a house of my own. I don't feel 'emasculated', I'm not aggressive at all and the reason why I don't move out is: Why should I leave luxury behind and move into an appartment or so. Everything's done for me and it makes my life and studying easier.

I don't know what kind of people they asked questions to, but nobody I know fits that picture.

I don't think they were targeting children still living at home going to school. I'm fairly certain the study involved those who should have taken responsibility for their life and moved on and out.