Your All-Time Favorite Album

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
I agree with Nienna, it's gotta be a Led Zeppelin album.. but I'd say "Houses Of The Holy" it's great to just kick back and listen to. B)

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by steve319@Apr 27 2005, 03:36 AM
In an age when radio’s focus on hit singles is more smothering than ever and the advent of downloadable songs is eroding the art of creating a full, coherent set of songs, I think that the classic form of the album deserves some props. So how about we all take a moment to share our all-time favorite album—the one that moves you or makes you smile (or cry) from the opening notes to the final fade. The one that reminds you of a particularly wonderful moment or time in your life—the album that doesn’t have a single lame song (for you) in the whole set or any filler hidden near the end. This is the one that makes you say, "This is what music should do for us."

Doesn’t have to be a classic or cool or special—it only has to be special for you.

But first, a couple of rules (yeah, I’m smashing the vibe a bit):

1) You must choose only one. No ties or cop-outs, no “it’s too hard to choose just one” whining. I know—life is tough all over. Be a man (or woman!) and make the tough choice.
2) Tell us why. Here’s your chance to win us all over and make everyone want to listen to the soundtrack of your life! :)
[post=305241]Quoted post[/post]​

--------

steve319

Here comes an example of a Generation Gap??????

"Victory At Sea", The Album, London Philharmonic

To listen to these compositions "take you" to and thru the storms of the South Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans. In addition your taken to major battle
campaigns of WWII.

blackwood

blackwood

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really have a hard time doing this so I will make them in categories...

Fav. R&R Album : The Stranger by Billy Joel

Fav. R&B Album : The Dude by Quincy Jones

Fav Classsical Album : Romances for Saxophone by Branford Marsalis

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by hippyscum@Apr 28 2005, 08:17 PM
I agree with Nienna, it's gotta be a Led Zeppelin album.. but I'd say "Houses Of The Holy" it's great to just kick back and listen to. B)
[post=305871]Quoted post[/post]​

Welcome! I love your name and ava. If we're going for Led Zeppelin I'd have to fo for Physical Graffiti because of all the different moods it gives.

AlbertCunning

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can't let this thread die.

My favourite album has been The Beatles' 'Abbey Road' ever since I heard it for the first time over 15 years ago.
'Revolver' is probably the BEST album ever when it comes to pure genious in songwriting, but 'Abbey Road' has a certain poignancy to it, being their last effort as a band, as well as being a magnificently written album.

'The Dreaming' by Kate Bush is one that has just grown on me over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'll regard it as my favourite album some time in the future.

Also, 'Hjernen Er Alene' by the Norwegian group DeLillos is just brilliant, but as it's entirely in Norwegian, I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone not so inclined. Non-Norwegians I mean...

vindicari

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans would be my choice for musical masterpiece. I know no one has probably ever heard it or ever will, the sales sucked, but it has all the elements of music I admire. It's experimental, high concept, incredibly complicated harmony- I love everything about it. How can I resist the most talented musicians of my time putting the Bible to music? Geez, those guys are ostentatious assholes![/quote
I got the original album madame , love the phsychadaelic art work on the cover. but my all time fav. album is "dark side of the moon"

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The Allman Brothers Band - A Decade of Hits 1969-1979

I know every word to every song (that has lyrics) on that album. Grew up listening to them and was the first concert my Dad took me to when I was 13. Great memories with each and every song. Also, myself and both of my siblings are named after ABB songs :wink: . I guess I had no choice in the matter, really.

I also love Zeppelin, so that's a close second...oh, and Bob Marley - No woman, no cry....ahhhh, that's such a great song!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread!!

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Secrets - Toni Braxton

This album was Toni 2nd album released back in 1996. This album marked a major change in Toni's appearance, from a girl next door to a full blown Sex Vixen. This album is just so eclectic and is just so amazing. After 10yrs I still can't put it down, starts off with a bang and ends nice and calmly. If anybody asked me to pick one Toni album to bring with me to the grave, it would be Secrets...I advise everybody to go out and get this masterpiece.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just can't pick one, but here's the choices by artist:

Elton John
Electric Light Orchestra
Bruce Springsteen (excluding Born in the USA)
Beatles
Fleetwood Mac
AC/DC
Cheap Trick
Lynrd Skynrd
Steve Miller Band
Van Halen
The Beach Boys
Bad Company
Bon Jovi
Bush
Journey
Police/Sting
U2
Steely Dan
Tom Petty
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Heart
Smashing Pumpkins
Loverboy (for a single album, "Working for the Weekend", was pretty good)
Rush
Toto
Jimmy Buffet

just too many more to mention and when each was on top of playing their music, one could listen for hours.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans would be my choice for musical masterpiece. I know no one has probably ever heard it or ever will, the sales sucked, but it has all the elements of music I admire. It's experimental, high concept, incredibly complicated harmony- I love everything about it. How can I resist the most talented musicians of my time putting the Bible to music? Geez, those guys are ostentatious assholes!

Well maybe a few of us have heard of it Madam Z. and it's a great choice. I had the album but lost it along with most of my others in the flood. Those who liked T.F.T.O. might also have liked the album "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe", which I think also fits your description of "incredibly complicated harmony."

I think all time favs generally should have certain qualities: a uniform or cohesive theme combined with generally excellent music throughout. So a number of the ones already cited by others above (like Sgt. Pepper) certainly qualify.

Someone mentioned ELO but no title. Maybe they were thinking of the album "Eldorado" or maybe "A New World Record"...both gems.

I couldn't pick a single one. So I'll just toss in a few more of my favs. (See if you're old enuf to remember some of these...):

"MCMXD a.D." - Enigma
"Days of Future Passed" - Moody Blues
"Once Upon a Time" - Donna Summer
"Dive" - Sarah Brightman
"Led Zeppelin" - Led Zeppelin
"Off the Wall" - Michael Jackson (in spite of what we think of him now, it was a great album).
"Meteora" - Linkin Park
"Vapor Trails" - Rush
"Aqualung" - Jethro Tull
"Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" - Traffic (remember that diagonal cut album jacket? Don't you miss album covers? CD's not the same...a lost art.)
"Myths and Legends of King Arthur..." - Rick Wakeman
"Disreali Gears" - Cream
"Blind Faith" - Blind Faith
"Osibisa" - Osibisa ("Criss-cross rhythms that explode with 'appiness.")