Your Biggest Cock Up at Work.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Nov 5, 2007.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

What's been your biggest or most embarrassing cock up at work.

I was working in an office, we finished work at 5 so our custom was not to answer the phone after 4.55, it rarely rang after 5 anyway it was the kind of business that only worked office hours. I'd just spoken to my immediate boss and was half expecting him to phone straight back, we were all still there getting our stuff ready to leave when the phone rang, it was 5.10.

'Don't answer it', I barked at a colleague who I knew had difficulty in getting garrulous customers off the phone if she answered after 5.

'But it might be Steve (our manager)', she said looking at me pleadingly (she was very conscientious).

'I'll answer it', I said, pretty positive that it would be him.

So I picked up the phone sure it would be him and in this fake sort of cross between Jamaican and Welsh accent (my accents are a little hokey and the cleaners had strong Jamaican accents) I said 'hello there.'

'Who's that?' this person said.

'It's the cleaner they all gone home,' you really have to imagine this strong fake Jamaican accent.

'Who's that?' the voice asked.

'Who's that?' I replied.

'Who's that?' it asked again.

'Who are you,' I said with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

'This is xxxx xxxxxx,' the voice replied - our very starchy managing director who didn't possess a sense of humour, 'who's that?'

'It's Cat,' I replied in a voice filled with as much 'I'm going to suck up big time when I see you' as I could get into it.

'Mmmm, that's an interesting concept, you as a cleaner.'

My colleagues were standing around laughing their arses off as they clearly followed what happened. The MD never mentioned it although I thought next morning I'd be called into his office, given a duster and some Mr Sheen and told I had a new role, but he never managed to look at me after without smirking.

2. B_Veronica_Divine

B_Veronica_Divine New Member

The UPS guy. Well, I assume from the bulge anyway...

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Up at work, my cock is no bigger than anywhere else.

I think that what you mean is "biggest cock-up at work."

4. rexcasual

rexcasual Member

As a young and naive employee I shared information about my annual review and raise over drinks with a seemingly close colleague. It came back dramatically on me when my boss called me into his office and told me off because my colleague had immediately used the info and my name in re-negotiating his own review. Apparently the President and CEO were mightily pissed since they felt I was being treasonous and ungrateful for exposing the unprecedented percentage hike in pay that I had been given. Of course, I had started at $16K a year, so it was a large pecentage raise on quite a paltry salary, but the principle was at stake.

I learned not to trust others to be discreet about my personal info.

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I punched my boss' son. Does that count? I'm not sure it does since his father was standing right there and laughed his ass off. After weeks of bossiness, rudeness, sexual harrassment, and general idiocy, I reached my breaking point when he stuck his finger in my face when talking down to me (he was not in a supervisory position) and I punched him so hard in the chest he fell against the counter. His father said he deserved it. I was torn between feeling badly for reacting in an unprofessional manner and satisfied he finally got knocked on his misogynist ass.

So glad I no longer work there.

6. B_Veronica_Divine

B_Veronica_Divine New Member

I knew what she meant...I'll admit I was teasing.

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I got too eager when I was throwing up a few threads - now where's that bloody hyphen :)

8. welcomatt

welcomatt New Member

Now, I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes, bceause I probably do, but mine are all small. But one particular cock-up of a colleague comes to mind for this thread.

Part of her responsibilities was to answer our Executive VP's phone line when he was on another call or away from his desk. So, she answers the phone once, thinking it is her personal line ringing, looks at the line she picked up, and it's his. The call is coming from the CEO of our company. Instead of saying "Good (morning/afternoon), _____ _____'s office," she absolutely froze and just says ".....Hello?" The CEO is slightly put off and says "...is _____ in?" and she says "...i don't know." Then there was a few seconds of silence before she got the nerve to say "I will have him call you when he's available."

As she is telling us all the story, we are just laughing our asses off. I go back to my computer and decide to email her from our department's shared email account, but I change my name to that of our CEO, and I just write "You're fired!" She didn't know it was me at first and was a little scared but then I was laughing too much and she knew it was me.

She no longer works here, but I do, which is why I left all the names out.

9. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It wasn't a mistake it was intentional. Maybe bad judgement would be a better description.

It was my last week at the job after just over 20 years. A particularly awkward and nasty customer ended up coming through to my phone. He immediately launched into a tirade. I stopped him with " DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE SPEAKING TO"? In my most indignant tone. "No" came the reply. "In that case Fuck off" I replied, plonking down the receiver and heading out the door to Starbucks.

10. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

When we were at work and someone would phone up and piss us off we'd palm them off with anything, when they asked who they were speaking to we'd just give a random name.

This isn't really work related but it's a cock-up I giggled about for days. My kids were smaller, my son had this wardrobe with two drawers in the bottom, the bottom of the drawer was some sort of thin wood - plywood perhaps and it had come out, I tried to push it back in but it wouldn't go so instead of waiting for my husband to come home I rashly thought 'it's easy, I can fix that.' I got some araldite out, knocked the drawer apart, put it back together and glued it. My husband came in and I proudly showed him what I'd done. He started laughing - I'd taken all that time gluing the drawer back and I hadn't even put the bloody bottom of the drawer in.

Draft saved Draft deleted