Your car CD player

Epistasia

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Jesus - I am such an old fart and I'm not even 40 yet. Not only am I the only one with any classical music, I haven't even heard of any of Dee's bands :eek:

You know what's really sad - I was a bloody guitarist in "alternative" bands. :confused: Sorry Peelie.

Don't fret LP, you're not the only classical lover. I have Mozart's Requiem and Puccini's Madame Butterfly in the car. Maria Callas' voice just fucking soars, there is nothing comparable these days. Chopin is my all time favorite! That is special occasion stuff though, the kind of thing that I want to devote all of my attention to. There is music for the background or for mood and then there is music to be stimulated by; that deserves the effort of active listening.

Britt

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I mainly listen to the classical radio station when driving to work and back.

But I listen to Hanzel und Gretyl a lot when going longer distances and last summer I pretty much kept Jerry Lee Lewis playing all the time. I also like Ferrante & Teicher and Frank Sinatra--but I usually listen to these on cassette!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
<.> --but I usually listen to these on cassette!

You're my hero!

I seriously had thought cassettes had died out :wink: Really, sometimes I seem to be the only one still using them. But I would never, ever commit the deadly sin of destroying a 67 Mustang's cockpit by something like a CD changer system, let alone a MP3-player equipped radio. I'm in the Anti-iPod-movement anyways :wink:

Lordpendragon said:
Jesus - I am such an old fart and I'm not even 40 yet. Not only am I the only one with any classical music, I haven't even heard of any of Dee's bands :eek: <.>

Let's see: Gwen Stefani, that rings a bell. But the rest, sorry: Gotta pass by me either. Absolutely clueless. But then again, I'm past 40. Classical music, however, always gets me depressed, no matter how cheerful it sounds.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The last few that have been in there were:

Carl Maria von Weber - Bassoon Concerto in F Major (Milan Turkovic, bassoon; Sir Neville Marriner, conductor)

J. S. Bach - Flute Sonatas (Irena Grafenauer, flute; Maria Graf, harp)

Bonnie Raitt - The Collection

k. d. lang - Absolute Torch and Twang, Hymns of the 49th Parallel

I refuse to list the "disco divas" trash my partner likes to listen to on the road.

monstro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeah, I have a lot of cassettes, Claire. I didn't listen to hardly any of them until I got my car and then I was like, "jackpot!" But it sounds like you have a much cooler car than me :)

In the 70s (and into the 80s) my parents used to have an 8-track player in their car. Good times!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Audio cassettes still have a market share of 3 %, I recently read. I think it's also a lifestyle, you know, putting together a tape from CD tracks (or beware, LPs) is a lot more difficult than burning a CD from another one. Besides the CD player, my stereo tower also still holds a duplicator deck for these tasks. Let's remember one of my car songs:

When I think of all the good times...

Yeah, I have a lot of cassettes, Claire. I didn't listen to hardly any of them until I got my car and then I was like, "jackpot!" But it sounds like you have a much cooler car than me :)

In the 70s (and into the 80s) my parents used to have an 8-track player in their car. Good times!

lbkontop

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Say anything ...is a real boy
best of dwight yoakum
bright eyes cassadaga
queer as folk babylon mix

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What have you got in there at the moment.

:

Nothing at all. I don't like to be disrupted with sound while driving. It distracts me when I hear good music I have an urge to shut my eyes and drift into a fantasy world. When stuck in traffic jams I make some quick calls on the cell, listen to the radio. Traffic starts moving I end the call, shut off the radio.

I honestly don't even know if the CD player in either vehicle works as I never tried using it.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got a new turntable and went back to vinyl some time ago. The warmth of analog sound compared to the compressed tinny sound of digital is amazing. I have a cd player in my car. However, i just cant listen to it anymore. I have over a 1,000 albums. Vinyl is making a big comeback. CD sales are fading fast. Next year they will begin to stop producing them and gradually phase them out. Music will be vinyl or a digital download on i Tunes or elsewhere. Most recording artists are now releasing their new work on vinyl also.

Last edited:

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I usually listen to Satelite Radio, but just for the times when there is nothing on

Queen album, hignlander soundtrack
AC/DC
Metallica
Mixed tape of classic Country music
Beavis and Butthead do america sound track

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I usually listen to the local classical FM station, but for the times they're playing crap I'd rather not listen to (dissonant atonal crud) or are in their membership drives I have a two-disk set of my church's choir and magnificent (and huge) pipe organ as well as a recording of G&S Mikado with Monty Python's Eric Idle as the Lord High Executioner which includes a bloody brilliant updated version of "I've Got a Little List" that gives me a needed chuckle after a really bad day. On road trips I have a box of CDs of various classical works that make the miles go by quickly.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Best of Thin Lizzy
New Order - Substance
U2
REM - Their latest compilation album - and unfortunately swan song.
Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
Pixies - Doolittle

Last edited: