Your Choice For President of the U.S. - 2004

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know the general election is not until November 2004, but don't be afraid to cast your vote!  This poll will be revised from time to time as the number of candidates decrease, and you will be able to change your vote at that time.

Everyone is welcome to vote - you don't to be a U.S. citizen.  Obviously, this is an unscientific poll...   ;)

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow - it's funny you mentioned that site, mindseye - I just marked it as one of my "favorites" yesterday. In fact, it helped me create the list of candidates here.

two_fister: I cast my vote for Al Sharpton, can you imagine the field day SNL would have with him?
...I can see it now Tracey Morgan, in a crazy wig, playing big Al.....lmao :D

tertiary_adjunct: Personally i think u should keep the one u have now, afterall;

- Unemployment is down
- The country's not in Debt
- You sign up to World Environmental Policies
- You respect other countries and dont invade them looking for weapons of mass distraction

OH NO! WATCH OUT SARCASM OVERLOAD?!?!?!

Then again u didn't vote in Bush so who knows who ur gonna get next time!

LOL

PS. only kidding

7x6andchg: Dean interests me...but I don't know enough about any of them to make an informed choice.

Of course, given the way most elections go I think that will likely be the case for most of the electorate next November.

;)

7x6&C

willem73: I was kind of hoping John McCain would run again.

7x6andchg: Willem - even as a Democrat, so was I.

gigantikok: [quote author=tertiary_adjunct link=board=99;num=1051303715;start=0#4 date=04/29/03 at 13:28:36]You respect other countries and dont invade them looking for weapons of mass distraction

OH NO! WATCH OUT SARCASM OVERLOAD?!?!?!

Then again u didn't vote in Bush so who knows who ur gonna get next time!

LOL

PS.  only kidding[/quote]

I am really sick of the blatant, uneducated ignorance people like you spew out in regards to the war and our president. In regards to not respecting countries...we are simply looking out for freedom and safety. Why should we respect a country run by a tyrannical madman that only a few years ago was committing mass genocide among people in his country? In regards to people saying that we are killing innocent Iraqis...In war there will be casualities, but we are far from disrespecting a country. We are liberating a people, supplying them with food, and actually saving lives. If Saddam had stayed in power, many many many MORE thousands of people would have died under his rule in the next few years. We are attacking him, not becuase he didn't directly attack (which he did, but i'll get to that later), but becuase we are ending terrorism around the world. There is direct evidence that Hussein was directly funding and providing supplies to many terrorist organizations. Saddam had a direct hand in the Sept 11th attack, and there is documental proof. So in reality, we ARE defending ourselves. We have now started to uncover very well hidden weapons, and we have saved ourselves and the Iraqi people from a horrible tyrannt. In the history of the world, no one will criticize Bush becuase they will see the good that came from dethroning Hussein, too bad ignorant boobs like you don't see it.

Oh, and by the way, half the nation DID vote for Bush, and no one seems to mention the millions of overseas Republican votes for California that were thrown out when it was certain that Gore was going to take control of the state. Those votes alone would have put Bush above Gore in the overall tally. In Florida alone, Gore tried for WEEKS to find enough votes to beat Bush, and he couldn't. They even gave Gore votes that were unspecified such as chads or totally unspecified votes, just to help him win. no one mentions that corruption. Nope, becuase everyone loves to hate Bush for some reason. Everyone loves to make fun of him when he appears, to me, to not only be doing great things for our nation, but for the world. You idiots really steam me up.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Gee, gigantikok, can't you tell us how you really feel?

LOL - don't be angry, just keep watching Fox News.

As long as the U.S. has an Electoral College there will be periodic controversy in Presidential elections.

BTW, the Supreme Court did not decide that Bush would become the 43rd President - they simply said the Florida Courts had erred, the recounts had run their course and it was time to put an end to Florida's, and the nation's dilemma.

As for hatred of President Bush by some Democrats, imagine how much everybody else would hate a President Gore!

:D :D :D :D

Pecker

7x6andchg: Well said, Pecker.

Between our own ignorance (collectively) as an electorate and the electoral college system, I'm suprised most elections don't end the way this one did.

I will say this - and let me preface this by saying that I lean left politically - I personally believe that unless the economy starts getting moving again that President Bush is going to end up just like his father IF the Democrats can manage to put up a decent challenger.

The war is over, and we Americans have very short attention spans. Many of us are living on unemployment, and the quality of life has taken a major hit since 2000. I am not sure what President Bush or his cabinet can honestly DO to ameliorate the situation, but if they don't do something I think he's not likely to be living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW come January 20, 2005.

Just my 2 cents, as always.
7x6&C

two_fister: it appears that some people will continue to smoke crack....

there is NO direct evidence that Sadam had anything to do with 9-11.....that being said, we still needed an enemy, and we couldnt' find the guy we know is responsible, so we went after the next best thing....I agree Sadam is/was a bad guy, but he's no worse that a bunch of other dictators all over the world, we can't try and be the police force for the whole world......don't you think there was a reason why most of the world didn't support the war?.....but that's enough political ranting.

Al Sharpton for PREZ!!!!!! :D ;D

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, 7x6andchg, the electoral college was invented so that the I[sup]3[/sup] factor - as in Ignorant Idiotic Imbecile - would be avoided. Until Americans actually do investigations into the candidates' careers, we'll need it.

SchroederJr: [quote author=two_fister link=board=99;num=1051303715;start=0#3 date=04/26/03 at 13:56:24]I cast my vote for Al Sharpton, can you imagine the field day SNL would have with him?
...I can see it now Tracey Morgan, in a crazy wig, playing big Al.....lmao :D[/quote]

Now THAT is what I call informed voting. Making your decision for president based on how funny it would be to see him mocked on SNL.

And JonB is right. The electoral college was invented to prevent everybody who didn't care, who was uninformed, and uneducated enough to understand the process from controlling this nation's leaders. Now, I think it needs some revisions, but I do not think it would be a wise idea to totally destory the electoral college.

As for the war, it's over. No, I don't think the war was justified, a wise move, nor legitimate. But it's too late to do anything about that. (If you really wanna know why I think so, PM me) There's no use getting into arguements on a message board over it. Let's not beat the dead horse because the horse is dead no matter how hard you beat it. Nobody's going to change their mind. I've seen it on every board I visit, and it's stupid. So can we PLEASE just move on?

I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for for President. I turn 18 in July, so it'll be my first time to vote and I'm really trying to pay attention to all the candidates this time. I'm not terribly worried about it right now, as it doesn't matter all that much until after the primaries and the Dems pick a candidate. I most likely won't be voting for Bush again. Dean is catching my eye, but I don't want to be swayed just because he supports same-sex benefits. Yes, that's important to me, but not an issue of national importance, in my opinion. So if I had to pick right now, I'd have to say Dean.

lttle1: The electoral college gives small states disproportionate influence by giving them 2 electoral votes for their 2 senators, regardless of their population. And in most states, it turns the race into an all or nothing battle on a state by state basis, magnifying slim margins into landslides. In my view those are bad characteristics of the electoral college, and I can't think of any good ones. In particular, I don't see how it reduces the influence of ignorant voters. Can you explain that one to me, JonB?

My dream candidate is probably Dean, because he's smart and enlightened. I doubt he could win in a general election, though, because he would be branded as overly liberal. So, in the primary I will choose between Jon Edwards and Bob Graham, two southerners who might have a chance of holding onto traditionally Democratic southern states such as West Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky, any one of which I think Gore might have won (and thus secured the presidency) without Lieberman on the ticket. The south was not ready for a Jewish vice president, I think, although I welcome input from southerners who disagree.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, lttle1, originally, it wasn't customary for electoral votes to be determined by popular vote of a particular state. Every electoral vote did - and still does - depend on a single person, though they by custom vote with the majority of their state. The theory was that since they were picked by the state legislatures, they'd be more educated than the average voter.

two_fister: AL SHARPTON FOR PREZ! :D

come on man.......we're online... laugh a little.

it doesn't matter who you vote for.

7x6andchg: Two_fister:

Now that's another topic. Sadly enough by and large I don't think it does either...the Republic will go on regardless. I tend to pay more attention to local races since they affect me more directly. (Gov. Doyle over Gov. McCallum, for example, to get local on ya, two_fister...that was the last election...)

Comments, anyone? Does the Presidency really matter? Or do the local races decide more of one's day-to-day life?

7x6&C

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You may be right that the local officials affect our lives in greater ways than federal officials, however, it's the big guys like the President and his administration that we have to see and hear every time we watch the news or read a newspaper. If you don't like the party in power, it can be a very long 4 years.

7x6andchg: Marko-

A very valid point....
But the state and/or local government affects:

1. My property taxes
2. My license plate fees
3. My sales and income taxes
4. My ability to find a job
&c.

IMHO, The President affects the overall tone of the country, but I think local races are the most effective in determining the direction of one's "home"land...

As a case in point, take Oklahoma and Texas..the Oklahoma government wouldn't let the Texas Rangers into their state because all of Oklahoma is run by Democrats....

A point of order to our foreign posters: We call ourselves the United States of America. In reality, it is 50 DIFFERENT places. Just ask anyone from my neighbor state, Minnesota, who has forgotten to buy alcohol for his Sunday dinner party and has to run to Wisconsin.

:D <- At Minnesotans who don't plan...we get the tax revenue.

Paul
7x6&C