Your Choice For President Of The U.S. - Part 3

Tender: how about Arnold... :D

as CA goes,,, so goes the nation?!
ha ha
wow thats a scary thought... ???

7x6andchg: And given what would have to happen to make it so...it's also not very likely. Amendments to the constitution are hard to make reality for a reason...we'd be more likely to have a native born woman or minority President before we have a foreign-born one - even Arnold, IMHO.

That said, I picked Dean again - I don't know why per se, but of those running I like him best.

7x6&C

awellhungboi: Funny, just from watching her on the stump on the news, forget Arnold, I wanted to vote for Maria Shriver.

I keep vacillating between Dean and Clark. I like both of them a lot. But at the end of the day I think I'm standing behind Clark, even though he's gotten off to a bumpy start. I just think that he can bring in votes from Democrats, Independents, and yes Republicans. If California is any indication (and maybe it is, maybe it isn't) looks like the electorate is getting pissed, and the tenor of the times may support an outsider coming into the fray. I would love to see Clark debate Bush.

7x6andchg: I'd like to see any Democrat with a message debate Bush. Right now the electorate is pretty pissed off, as you note, Monstro, and to be honest I think if Bush is smart he'll try to do something about it...

awellhungboi: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1065594526;start=0#4 date=10/08/03 at 17:46:22]I'd like to see any Democrat with a message debate Bush.  Right now the electorate is pretty pissed off, as you note, Monstro, and to be honest I think if Bush is smart he'll try to do something about it...

[/quote]

you'd think so, wouldn't you? I saw in the news today that Bush and co. are going to be launching a new PR blitz to try to build support for his Iraq policy.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I feel that John Edwards will be the next to drop out.

Bob Graham, on the other hand, may be picked as the nominee's Vice-Presidential runningmate.

As for Bush's new efforts at P.R., I hope it's true. A better emphasis on information will make us all feel more confident. Unfortunately Bush is a manager who delegates a lot and has them report back to him regularly. But there's where the information stream stops. He's got to get used to sharing it with the people who elected him.

Pecker

(I Xeroxed a mirror. Now I have an extra Xerox.)

awellhungboi: I agree, Pecker.  Evidently Rumsfeld is pissed off because they've shut him out of the new Iraq policy.  I think Rummy's days are numbered.

I think John Edwards will hang on til at least the South Carolina primary, hope for a bounce from that, since (at this point) he's leading in the polls there.  I'm from North Carolina, but I don't support Edwards. He's definitely got some problems. I think he jumped the gun. I don't know why he didn't wait until 2008 or 2012.  Although he has, in my opinion, the best education plan--he's just kind of pissed me off because he's been running for President since 2000.  I feel he just kind of flipped off his constituents, after so many of us were excited to have him elected.  I think Lieberman will be the next to drop out.  Although that's just a hunch on my part.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I totally agree that John Edwards should not have gotten into the race. He just doesn't seem "ready for prime time". He must realize that his Senate seat is in trouble as well - maybe that's why he's sticking with the Presidential race.

I know that Bob Graham has been mentioned often as a possible Vice-Presidential running-mate, but boy, he came across as so rusty during the debates so far - I don't think I'm want him to be "one heartbeat away from the Presidency." I don't know him very well, but it even seems like his mental facilities are beginning to fade a little bit.

Lieberman isn't exciting, and he's not good-looking, but I saw him in a lengthy interview on C-SPAN the other day, and boy, he's just so warm and personable when he's being interviewed one-on-one. He's also obviously very intelligent and has considerable experience and knowledge about the issues - he makes John Edwards look like a joke, in my opinion. :p

Oh well - I'm enjoying the process - whatever may happen.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Yes, Lieberman is a great guy but I just wish he'd finally let go and cry for pity's sake!

He reminds me of my Aunt Lorraine.  I love her to death but her voice sounds like she'll burst into tears at any moment.   :p

Pecker

(Here's to our wives and sweethearts.  May they never meet.)

awellhungboi: Yeah, Edwards announced he wouldn't seek re-election for his Senate seat. To which I and many other of his constituents responded, "Gee, thanks for nothing, pal." He had a lot of potential to be a great Senator.

Yeah, I can't imagine Graham on the ticket either. He seems a little loopy. And I wouldn't want to vote for him because he co-sponsored the Patriot Act.

I like Lieberman as a person. Seems like a good guy. He's just WAY too much to the Right for me.

I'm loving it too. American politics is my favorite spectator sport.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know Lieberman has a reputation for being less liberal, but besides his support for defense, how is he right-wing? Over the years, he's voted almost lockstep with Ted Kennedy.

gigantikok: I might be a little more swayed by a liberal candidate if one of them actually stood up for what they believed in, party lines or not. Who gives a fuck if someone is too liberal or too right wing? A mix of political opinions is healthy. We don't need a left wing dingbat or a right wing nutso running this country. We need someone that will appeal to everyone's interests.

I just don't like how Wesley Clark tells the press how he stands for and supports the war in Iraq one day, gets a phone call from the Liberal party telling him that that is wrong, and completely changes his opinion the next day. That is literally what happened, folks. I don't need someone running the country who can be that easily manipulated.

aj2181: That's a very wise opinion gigantikok and I agree, to an extent.

Well I've heard dozens of people say "Well its the end of the world, Arnold is a governor and the Cubs are winning". Go Cubbies!

I haven't heard much about Clark. What's he like? What are his major policy positions? I'm inclined to support the strongest democrat no matter who he or she turns out to be. I think it is good to have a person of one party in the White House and people of another party in Congress. That kind of situaltion demands cooperation and moderation in policy making.

Vice President Cheney is coming to town. He's here fundraising for our congressmen Chris Chocola, a milionair business man handpicked, so they say, for the job of ousting the democrats from the Indiana second district seat. They are having a private invitation only lunch and receiption. $2000.00 a plate. You can also get your picture made with the VP for a hefty fee. The thing that pisses me off is that our tax dollars pay for the flight in, the flight out, and all the security. They are very specific that this is to promote the policies of the White House and the fundraising thing is only a sideline....I'm not fooled.

I saw that about Edwards not running for his Senate seat. It may all be a bluff to make him seem serious about running for pres. The Democrats cant afford to lose anymore Senate seats which is why that announcement by him annoys me so much. These silly politicians have no loyalty to the party. The same can be said for Davis who could have resigned and left a Democrat in charge of California. That pisses me off and I can understand why Davis got the boot.

balls: aj2181-
Does that go both ways..if the House and Senate were controlled by the D's would you vote for an R Presidential Candidate?
"Wax on, Wax off" "Balance".....Mr. Miyagi

aj2181: Ahh you caught me ;)

Not a chance. I do see the wisdom in that, like I already said but should the Pres. be a democrat I'm not inclined to vote republican. I'll leave that up to all those fine republicans out there :)

hawl: I think at this point a lot of Republican power brokers must be regretting their 2000 preference for Bush instead of John McCain. Will there be a "recall" :eek:? If Bush and Ashcroft were leftists working "deep cover" to reenergize the Democrats and alienate the mainstream "swing" voter from the GOP, they couldn't do a better job for risk of seeming too obvious. Here's a concise new "anyone but Bush" article that I thought was unusual for being so ferocious, considering that it's by Michael Kinsley-http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101031013-493326,00.html. This article made me think I had actually underestimated how much Bush has lost "middle America".

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
rrrrrr, the conservatives who elected Bush in 2000 don't trust McCain - they certainly don't feel they've elected the wrong man.

It is not possible at this time to recall a President of the U.S.

As for Time magazine speaking for the midwest, phooey.
That's like Theoden listening to Wormtongue.

Time magazine, like Wormtongue, has an agenda, and it's not conservative.

Pecker

(A man who speaks with a forked tongue should not kiss balloons.)

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
[quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1065594526;start=0#17 date=10/11/03 at 06:35:56]
As for Time magazine speaking for the midwest, phooey.
That's like Theoden listening to Wormtongue.

Time magazine, like Wormtongue, has an agenda, and it's not conservative.

[/quote]

It's an opinion piece - one would expect it to be biased.

And "middle America" doesn't refer to the Midwest - it refers to people who are considered average, whether they live in Duluth or Miami Beach.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Yes, Mark, I stand corrected. Maybe I should go back to drinking coffee for breakfast.

Middle America = Red on the Electoral Map.

Regardless of the negative, sometimes vituperative, reporting by much of the press and rhetoric by Democrats, I doubt Middle America will vote a left-of-center pol into office in 2004. ;)

Pecker

(Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.)