Your Favorite Action Movies

Media
Alot of these being mentioned are not "action" flicks.

cannot agree that these movies mentioned constitute "Action" movies...

Heat
Gladiator
Full Metal Jacket
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Apocalypse Now
Scarface

Kill Bill are action movies in my opinion. About the others I agree :smile: they have action but are more crime or war movies. Seen all of them.

Apocalypse Now and V for Vendetta did nothing for me.

I'm very curious for Terminator Salvation too...

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Heat
Gladiator
Full Metal Jacket
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Apocalypse Now
Scarface

Eh, I could see that. But I can't take away Heat and Gladiator. 'Specially Heat.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Heat
Gladiator
Full Metal Jacket
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Apocalypse Now
Scarface

Ya a lot of those are classified as dramas but some have enough action that i'd consider them action-worthy, imo. Kinda like alien, if you asked me, that's more sci-fi genre than anything, but thats cool. I'd say Kill Bill is action though, just not in the normal sense of explosions and gun fights. If you want to get real technical about it, there have been very few good, real action movies

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mad props, I. Kristanna Loken. You're right. She whooped Arnold's ass on that shit. I didn't care for the movie as whole, but she was a bad bitch in that shit. Not another Terminator....they are fuckin' it up. Well, is it gonna be worth it from the preview?

Well, I think that the new Terminator film will be different from the Carolco produced Terminators. I think that this one is going to be a futuristic horror action type thing. I hope that it will be great. It can't be as bad as Brokeback Mountain or Under The Cherry Moon. :smile: But I am skeptical of it being produced by McG (Director of the Charlie's Angels movies.). If Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu pop up in that Terminator movie...that will prove to be an interesting Terminator film. TERMINATOR'S ANGELS. :biggrin1:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kill Bill are action movies in my opinion. About the others I agree :smile: they have action but are more crime or war movies. Seen all of them.

Apocalypse Now and V for Vendetta did nothing for me.

I'm very curious for Terminator Salvation too...

how are kill bill action?

just because a film has a couple of fight scenes, does not make it an "action" movie.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Eh, I could see that. But I can't take away Heat and Gladiator. 'Specially Heat.

why Heat?

Heat has the first robbery and one massive shootout (still one of the great all time scenes) then the ending cat and mouse with DeNiro/Pacino.

It's a crime film, not an action film...there is no action for the sake of action, which is what a Schwarzenegger or Stallone film is, or Con Air etc...ridiculous, unmerited, absurd action of the unbelievable variety (hanging on to the wings of airplanes, etc...absurd action)

even Heat at its most violent, is never anything more then criminals or cops, doing what must be needed to end a standoff or a burglary etc.

Gladiator is a bit harder to classify, but it is certainly not an action film. It had the one major war scene which was extremely well done...(I wish they had done alot more with that though) and the rest were fights in the gladiatorial arenas...

(IMO)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Edit: I'm actually with Flashy here on the definition of "action movie" and the ones I list below I would not call action movies if asked to classify. /edit

Well - hang on - if we are allowed to include war movies like Apocalyps Now and westerns like Tombstone and Quigley Down Under (yes, it is a good movie, not great but good - I love Alan Rickman in anything!) then I have a new list:

Fist Full of Dynamite
The Good, the Bad and Ugly
Bullit (shoulda been on there in the first place)
Kelly's Heros
Where Eagles Dare
Unforgiven (have you guessed I'm a Clint Fan yet)
Fist Full of Dollars (and Few Dollars More, to Complete the Man with no name triology)
Once Upon a Time in America (if Scarface can be in that can be in)
Scarface
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
The Sand Pebbles (yeah, McQueen fan too)
The Dirty Dozen
Platoon

And that's just off the top of my head!

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ya a lot of those are classified as dramas but some have enough action that i'd consider them action-worthy, imo. Kinda like alien, if you asked me, that's more sci-fi genre than anything, but thats cool. I'd say Kill Bill is action though, just not in the normal sense of explosions and gun fights. If you want to get real technical about it, there have been very few good, real action movies

IMO, action is not how much action there is, but the type of action there is...there is action for action sake (ridiculous action) and action that occurs as part of a dramatic story.

For example, there is lots of "action" in the Departed, but it is not an action film at all.

i draw a distinction at what the action is intended to do...is it part of the story? or is it the reason to tell the story?

A movie like ConAir, or True Lies, the action is the reason to tell the story, and the action borders on and crosses over into the totally absurd.

A movie like Heat or The Departed (or similar ones) the action is only a small part of the larger story.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well - hang on - if we are allowed to include war movies like Apocalyps Now and westerns like Tombstone and Quigley Down Under (yes, it is a good movie, not great but good - I love Alan Rickman in anything!) then I have a new list:

Fist Full of Dynamite
The Good, the Bad and Ugly
Bullit (shoulda been on there in the first place)
Kelly's Heros
Where Eagles Dare
Unforgiven (have you guessed I'm a Clint Fan yet)
Fist Full of Dollars (and Few Dollars More, to Complete the Man with no name triology)
Once Upon a Time in American (if Scarface can be in that can be in)
Scarface
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
The Sand Pebbles (yeah, McQueen fan too)
The Dirty Dozen
Platoon

And that's just off the top of my head!

I agree, but we should not be including those...can we honestly put those excellent films you mentioned above as "action", along with Faceoff and The Rock and other true action garbage?

we should leave quality films where they are, away from the action ones.

Also, think back to a movie like Bullitt...that was one of the first action flicks, and McQueen was probably the first legit "action" star...but the action had a real quality to it, not like the absurd action in a film like True Lies.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I know, right? Put some metal plates on those chicks and it'll be a wrap, LOL. I hate to see them make a sequal of something and then it sucks. Poor Speed, it happened to that so hard.
Well, I think that the new Terminator film will be different from the Carolco produced Terminators. I think that this one is going to be a futuristic horror action type thing. I hope that it will be great. It can't be as bad as Brokeback Mountain or Under The Cherry Moon. :smile: But I am skeptical of it being produced by McG (Director of the Charlie's Angels movies.). If Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu pop up in that Terminator movie...that will prove to be an interesting Terminator film. TERMINATOR'S ANGELS. :biggrin1:

Media
I agree, but we should not be including those...can we honestly put those excellent films you mentioned above as "action", along with Faceoff and The Rock and other true action garbage?

we should leave quality films where they are, away from the action ones.

Also, think back to a movie like Bullitt...that was one of the first action flicks, and McQueen was probably the first legit "action" star...but the action had a real quality to it, not like the absurd action in a film like True Lies.
I see what you mean, and I agree partly. But, what you're actually saying is that no movie in which the action is the reason for the movie, can be a good movie.

Ok, there is no pointless action or absurd action in Kill Bill, but it has many action scenes, and can therefor be called an action movie too.

(IMO)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The Kill Bills were a heap of steaming shite and shouldn't be on anyone's list of anything (unless it is a list of movies that are a heap of steaming shite) BUT I agree with Flashy - unless the raison d'être of the movie is action then it is not an action flick.

Take these examples:
Is Sophie's Choice a War movie? No - of course it isn't. War is a HUGE part of the plot and setting but it is not a war movie.
Is Jacob's Ladder a War movie? No - likewise war is an even HUGER :)confused::rolleyes:) part of the plot and setting but it is not a war movie.

The Kill Bills were just a Tarantino-shows-us-AGAIN-that-he's-seen-a-load-of-other-movies-and-has-industry-connections fest and not much fucking more. Don't get me wrong - I love Resevoir Dogs and I like Pulp Fiction - but KB was just taking the piss.

There is however a case for including the action comedy. I would include movies like Bird on a Wire and Tremors in action movies - though the comedy factor is large too.

Media
The Kill Bills were just a Tarantino-shows-us-AGAIN-that-he's-seen-a-load-of-other-movies-and-has-industry-connections fest and not much fucking more. Don't get me wrong - I love Resevoir Dogs and I like Pulp Fiction - but KB was just taking the piss.

The Kill Bills were much better than Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.
IMO
:cool:

But if we all had the same taste, earth would be a shithole.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I see what you mean, and I agree partly. But, what you're actually saying is that no movie in which the action is the reason for the movie, can be a good movie.

Ok, there is no pointless action or absurd action in Kill Bill, but it has many action scenes, and can therefor be called an action movie too.

(IMO)

but the action is not the reason for the film...and the action is "satirized"... like when she goes to Japan and fights the crazy 88s etc...

Generally i would agree that no movie where the action is the reason for the movie can be a truly great movie.

I would say it is VERY rare, for an action movie to also be a great movie...very rare indeed...and it would have to be a revolutionary action film with another element to the story...Terminator 2 was a story like that...it was far from perfect, but in terms of "action" only, that was pretty much the best there has been in the past 25 years.

I would put Aliens in there, but it was sci-fi...so not really action. (IMO)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IMO

But if we all had the same taste, earth would be a shithole.

well, i enjoyed the Kill Bills...they were not brilliant, but they are nowhere near Reservoir Dogs and Pulp.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Resevoir Dogs is raw - I had never seen anything like it when I first saw it - that is why I still love it. Pulp fiction is classy and very smooth.

I have since seen a lot of the movies that influenced Tarantino's direction and scene specific minutiae - and most of them are better - but they don't change the effect RD specifically had on me.

Kill Bill is ridiculous overblown 'aren't I clever' posturing - it is poorly acted (unlike the other two), poorly written, lazily directed. Actually, if it mocked itself a little more it might be funny - but it doesn't, so it isn't.

IMO

Entitled - but wrong :wink:

Resevoir Dogs is Quentin's best movie, hands down.

Entitled and right :biggrin1:

Yes - we all have different tastes - mine are clearly better :biggrin1::biggrin1::tongue: (j/k)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Kill Bills were a heap of steaming shite and shouldn't be on anyone's list of anything (unless it is a list of movies that are a heap of steaming shite) BUT I agree with Flashy - unless the raison d'être of the movie is action then it is not an action flick.

Take these examples:
Is Sophie's Choice a War movie? No - of course it isn't. War is a HUGE part of the plot and setting but it is not a war movie.
Is Jacob's Ladder a War movie? No - likewise war is an even HUGER :)confused::rolleyes:) part of the plot and setting but it is not a war movie.

There is however a case for including the action comedy. I would include movies like Bird on a Wire and Tremors in action movies - though the comedy factor is large too.

exactly...and don't forget about the "Buddy-Action-Comedy" LOL.

there are so many different genres and sub-genres now, it becomes hard to truly classify.

Often times, "Comedy" goes hand in hand in with the "Action" films, because of the need for the catchline/humor aspect so the action is not overwhelming, plus the Buddy aspect also is huge...the most notable of these was the LEthal Weapon series...that combined a heavy dose of humor (at least in the first two which were entertaining) with buddy elements (Gibson, Glover, then Peschi, than overkill, with Russo and Rock as well) plus action...

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
why Heat?

Heat has the first robbery and one massive shootout (still one of the great all time scenes) then the ending cat and mouse with DeNiro/Pacino.

It's a crime film, not an action film...there is no action for the sake of action, which is what a Schwarzenegger or Stallone film is, or Con Air etc...ridiculous, unmerited, absurd action of the unbelievable variety (hanging on to the wings of airplanes, etc...absurd action)

even Heat at its most violent, is never anything more then criminals or cops, doing what must be needed to end a standoff or a burglary etc.

Gladiator is a bit harder to classify, but it is certainly not an action film. It had the one major war scene which was extremely well done...(I wish they had done alot more with that though) and the rest were fights in the gladiatorial arenas...

(IMO)

Well through the scope of deductive reasoning, an action movie is a dry piece of shit. But an action movie is whatever one wishes it to be. Besides, there are so many sub-genres it's impossible to say what is definitively what. So I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion. But I don't see how you don't classify the scenes in Gladiator as action. Every "action" movie is basically a good guy vs. a bad guy with some sort of violence. Heat isn't any different. Every "action" movie is part crime film. If not, it wouldn't have any action.

Suprisingly, I personally find Stallone and Schwarzeneggar (sp?) to be two of the cheesiest. Except for First Blood, it was classic. Even The Departed can be considered action depending on how the viewer interprets it.

But like Apollo312 so eloquently put it, this place would be a shithole if we all had the same taste.