Your Favorite Action Movies

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In your opinion, yes. In fact, no. That would imply some type of scientific evidence and unanimous agreement. That statement obviously lacks both.

your desperate need to defend bad movies made by a director who has himself stated about his career that "I make movies for teenage boys." Is becoming absurd, because you have so much invested in the defense of it. You said that all his movies are good, and went so far as to say that one was great. So your own personal opinion is completely clouding your objective views. Your enjoyment of it, has nothing to do with its quality, which is in fact poor, as rated objectively on every level of film-making, from writing, to acting, to plot, to characters etc.

Michael Bay makes movies that have zero character development, virtually ignores actors, are poorly written, and focus only on action. He ignores intelligence and acting to focus on visuals.

That is a recipe for a bad movie, which he makes and you enjoy.

It is strange that such a good director, who makes such good movies, has never once been recognized by the academy or the directors guild for his directing achievements and not one of his films has ever been nominated for a single award either, other than technical awards (best sound, best sound effects, best visual effects, )

no awards or even nominations for recognition of writing or acting or directing or film quality.

Not a thing.

One would expect such a good movie maker and his films to receive some sort of recognition by the DGA or the academy.

His films are shit, and you eat them up...nothing wrong with that. you can eat shit if you want and you can certainly enjoy it, but don't tell the rest of us it is chocolate when you do.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wherever you find Michael Bay...Jerry Bruckheimer cliches are there. Look at Bay's films and then watch some Jerry Bruckheimer shit. Same shit, different director. Okay?! :rolleyes: :smile:

exactly...no words in the american lexicon should send people screaming from the theaters faster then these "So and So pictures presents, A Jerry Bruckheimer Production...A Michael Bay Film"

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
your desperate need to defend bad movies made by a director who has himself stated about his career that "I make movies for teenage boys." Is becoming absurd, because you have so much invested in the defense of it. You said that all his movies are good, and went so far as to say that one was great. So your own personal opinion is completely clouding your objective views. Your enjoyment of it, has nothing to do with its quality, which is in fact poor, as rated objectively on every level of film-making, from writing, to acting, to plot, to characters etc.

Michael Bay makes movies that have zero character development, virtually ignores actors, are poorly written, and focus only on action. He ignores intelligence and acting to focus on visuals.

That is a recipe for a bad movie, which he makes and you enjoy.

It is strange that such a good director, who makes such good movies, has never once been recognized by the academy or the directors guild for his directing achievements and not one of his films has ever been nominated for a single award either, other than technical awards (best sound, best sound effects, best visual effects, )

no awards or even nominations for recognition of writing or acting or directing or film quality.

Not a thing.

One would expect such a good movie maker and his films to receive some sort of recognition by the DGA or the academy.

His films are shit, and you eat them up...nothing wrong with that. you can eat shit if you want and you can certainly enjoy it, but don't tell the rest of us it is chocolate when you do.

Desperate? nahhh. I'm simply pointing out that you think your opinion is a fact. That you think you and the academy and actors guild are the authority on what is a good film and what isn't. They are just more people with more opinions. If they said the opposite, you would be eating those movies up.

My enjoyment has absoultely nothing to do with it's quality, neither does your non enjoyment. Since that changesf rom person to person.

As I said, they were good in the context of action films. But you choose to ignore that.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Flashy - you are taking this all too seriously and you are both arguing from different definitions of the word 'good'.

Good is a VERY general word. Michael Bay films (which I watch and enjoy (sometimes) and also see for the bubblegum that they are) are good for fun, good for action, good for switching off and just being in the moment of 'look what we can do - it's silly but ain't it fun' - millions of people have had hours of entertainment from Michael Bay movies - that has to be a good thing.

mr.g - I know you are not arguing that Bay movies are 'good films' - which is what I meant above when I said they are not good.

So - I would like to see this argument be left behind because it seems fairly clear to me that there is no disagreement - just different interpretation of how the word 'good' applies to a movie. How about this: Michael Bay films may not be good films but they are good entertainment.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy - you are taking this all too seriously and you are both arguing from different definitions of the word 'good'.

Good is a VERY general word. Michael Bay films (which I watch and enjoy (sometimes) and also see for the bubblegum that they are) are good for fun, good for action, good for switching off and just being in the moment of 'look what we can do - it's silly but ain't it fun' - millions of people have had hours of entertainment from Michael Bay movies - that has to be a good thing.

mr.g - I know you are not arguing that Bay movies are 'good films' - which is what I meant above when I said they are not good.

So - I would like to see this argument be left behind because it seems fairly clear to me that there is no disagreement - just different interpretation of how the word 'good' applies to a movie. How about this: Michael Bay films may not be good films but they are good entertainment.

normally i would agree MB, but that is not what Geech has said.

he stated initially in the thread

Really ? Maybe in YOUR eyes, but how so ?

You mean to tell me that Bad Boys 1 and 2, The Island, Transformers, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, and The Rock weren't good films ?
http://www.lpsg.org/1623765-post49.html

I have repeatedly said it is fine to enjoy what you wish to enjoy, and that is a-ok with me, but don't tell us that because someone may enjoy a Bay film that it somehow makes it good film-making.

I think it is fine that people switch their brains off and watch dumb movies for enjoyment sake...as long as they don't try to convince everyone that those dumb movies with bad acting, writing, characters and stories are actually good movies.

Geech does in fact think they are good films...and now he his apparently backtracking to say he meant they are good "action" films.

As I said, they were good in the context of action films. But you choose to ignore that.
Which is nonsense, since he says Bad Boys was a "great" film.

Indeed, if people want to check their brains at the door and enjoy some nonsense from Michael BAy, i certainly have no problem with it, but classifying them as good films, as opposed to good time waters is very different. I have repeatedly said people should enjoy what they want, but if they enjoy crap, don't tell the rest of us it isn't in fact, crap.

I watched the Rock and it is the only Bay film that i find remotely enjoyable....it is an amusing film, though total crap. Nothing wrong with that, i just don't think crap should be lauded for being something more than it is.

I suppose the nonsense about it was when Geech referred to "Heat" and "The Departed" as action films. Which is simply not the case, and how does one expect to be taken seriously when classifying those films as action films, and at the same time singing the praises of Michael BAy as a film-maker?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He never said they were "good film-making". That's altering the meaning again.

His definition of a good film is different from yours. That's all there is to this. Let it drop.

no. he said they were good films. Which usually are the result of good film-making.

Which they really weren't.

If he enjoys them, that is very different.

I am all for enjoyment...just not delusion.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy, I shouldn't have to specify that I thought they were good in teh context of action films since that is the name of the thread. Just let it drop. No one's opinion is fact and it's not that big of a deal.

um yeah you should specify, since there is a big difference between a good film, and what you are now alleging you mean which is an action genre film that is only good within its genre.

If you truly believed that, then you would have agreed with me.

So then there is nothing to argue about. You think Michael Bay films are good for action films, but are in fact, bad films. Correct? That is what it appears you are saying now.

You called Heat and The Departed, action films, when they are clearly not.

If you cannot figure out the difference between those and action films, then i would say you need to be pretty specific about what you consider good films.

Since i have clearly stated i believe BAy films to be utter crap, you have repeatedly said they aren't...

so clarify your view,since you are now playing both sides of the fence.

I have stated that i think BAy films are total crap.

You have stated that you think BAy Films are good. With no distinction.

So which is it?
A.-Are they good action films that are also good films in general?
B. -Or are they merely good films in the action genre but not good films in general?

Clear up the confusion...perfect opportunity...it is pretty simple.

Which is it? A or B?

If you say A, then it says you are just lying about your new "i was only referring to in the action genre" statement.

If you say B, then you are in agreement with me, which makes me wonder why in the hell you are arguing about it.

so?

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
um yeah you should specify, since there is a big difference between a good film, and what you are now alleging you mean which is an action genre film that is only good within its genre.

If you truly believed that, then you would have agreed with me.

So then there is nothing to argue about. You think Michael Bay films are good for action films, but are in fact, bad films. Correct? That is what it appears you are saying now.

You called Heat and The Departed, action films, when they are clearly not.

If you cannot figure out the difference between those and action films, then i would say you need to be pretty specific about what you consider good films.

Since i have clearly stated i believe BAy films to be utter crap, you have repeatedly said they aren't...

so clarify your view,since you are now playing both sides of the fence.

I have stated that i think BAy films are total crap.

You have stated that you think BAy Films are good. With no distinction.

So which is it?
A.-Are they good action films that are also good films in general?
B. -Or are they merely good films in the action genre but not good films in general?

Clear up the confusion...perfect opportunity...it is pretty simple.

Which is it? A or B?

If you say A, then it says you are just lying about your new "i was only referring to in the action genre" statement.

If you say B, then you are in agreement with me, which makes me wonder why in the hell you are arguing about it.

so?

Ok spin doctor. The name of the thread is YOUR FAVORITE FUCKING ACTION FILMS. I shouldn't have to specify that I think his movies are good action films since the thread is called YOUR FAVORITE ACTION FILMS. I don't need to put action in every post I make in this thread since it's in the title. You're just acting like a child for the fuck of it.

There is no confusion. There is no straddling the fence. I have no need to make any distinction to you as you are the only jackass carrying on about such trivial things. My explination is clear and everyone understood/stands it except you.

Doesn't matter if you think The Departed and Heat are not action. They fall into many categories. For every source you find that says they are not so, I can find just as many that say they are.

So, in order for this nonsense to end, you need the last word.

Please take it and kindly cease interaction.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wherever you find Michael Bay...Jerry Bruckheimer cliches are there. Look at Bay's films and then watch some Jerry Bruckheimer shit. Same shit, different director. Okay?! :rolleyes: :smile:

EXPLANATION

I don't hate Michael Bay. I don't hate Jerry Bruckheimer. I just like different.
If you are going to direct a film and have Bruckheimer produce it, why does it have to look like Jerry Bruckheimer directed it?
I own Pearl Harbor. The Commemorative Edition on DVD. Ben Affleck was hot in that damn uniform. That is what sold me. Hehehe.
You look at Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson films. TOP GUN. DAYS OF THUNDER. BAD BOYS. ARMAGGEDDON. All those films have a certain photographic style. A certain iconic way of filmmaking storytelling. Hero goes through a lot of shit. And you have all this zoom in panoramic shots and zoom out panoramic shots. And you got the hero in silhouettes. If they were to have written ROCKY. There would be a bunch of closeups of Sylvester Stallone and zoom out panoramic shots of him jumping up and down with Kenny Loggins singing "DANGERZONE".

Uwe Boll...he directed BLOODRAYNE and ALONE IN THE DARK. They were okay films.

They what?

Oh, its on now.

:tongue:

I don't hate Uwe Boll either. I liked BLOODRAYNE and ALONE IN THE DARK. I actually have ALONE IN THE DARK on DVD. Christian Slater and Tara Reid had a hot love scene in there. Stephen Dorff was hot. He was always hot. :smile:

BLOODRAYNE I rented at BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO. Kristanna Loken was great. I loved her in that Terminator movie. That is why I rented BLOODRAYNE on that movie. It was a great film.

D

deleted15807

The Dark Knight has been added to the list.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Anyone in the mood to watch a great-awful aerial adventure movie? The sound isn't synced properly so the actors mouths move like an old Godzilla sci-fi being translated from Japanese into English. "Look Tobiashi! It's the monster Godzilla!" "Please help, please help! Our pilot had a heart attack!!" Just roll with the airplane and keep watching.

For a movie that lasts just over an hour, this couple face more improbable aeronautical emergencies than an entire airline seniority list of pilots would face in several careers. In no particular order the twosome are A) instantly lost over a trackless expanse of ocean at the same time they B) conveniently suffer simultaneous communication and navigation failures after trying to use a Bendix-King KX165 VHF radio they mistakenly call "shortwave." Not long after they C) stumble into a squall line-- likely with tops above forty-thousand-- which they miraculously climb above in their single-engine plane... only to suffer from an understandable bout of hypoxia. Which of-course causes the aircraft to instantaneously dive straight down. They also have a difficult time staying inside the aircraft. Oh just enjoy the movie.

The plane is an Australian general aviation single called a GippsAero GA8 Airvan. Here is more on it if anyone's interested.

Pilot Report: GippsAero Airvan Delivers Utility in a Fun To Fly Package

Last edited: