your first car?

SeeDickRun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1950 Jag Roadster. Now work what, $250,000 or more? Electrical system by Lucas, the folks who invented darkness. Damn headlights would go out when you made a left turn. Electic gas pump worked when it wanted to. But it was fun to drive, when it ran!

BJT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First car that I could call my own 1996 VW GTI

First car I bought myself, paid insurance on everything...1990 ford ranger

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Electrical system by Lucas, the folks who invented darkness.

Not to forget, the intermittent windshield wiper.

On my old MGA the Lucas wipers would just skate over freezing rain, leaving a nice lumpy layer of ice. But with the top down I could reach over the top of the windshield and scrape it off while driving. Of course that meant that I got covered in freezing rain. Well shoot, no car is perfect.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1950 Jag Roadster. Now work what, $250,000 or more? Electrical system by Lucas, the folks who invented darkness. Damn headlights would go out when you made a left turn. Electic gas pump worked when it wanted to. But it was fun to drive, when it ran!

Lucas. I heard a joke once: Why do the British drink warm beer? Answer: They have Lucas refrigerators.

I laugh at that joke but have no firsthand knowledge of Lucas electrical systems except what owners of old MGs tell me.

My cars were:

- 63 VW beetle.
- 66 VW beetle.
- Same 66 VW beetle with rebuilt engine after the old one swallowed a valve (as they were wont to do). This is when I decided to become handy with VW engines. I rebuilt this engine in a big galvanized tub in the living room of a third floor college apartment. I loved those beetles. With a trunk full of spare parts and a pair of vice grips, they got me through college. When I gave up my last beetle I willed all my spare parts to the hippie VW repair guys in town who repaired these things as a kind of religion.
- 78 Datsun B210 - Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was really not a good car at all.
- 75 Volare Station wagon, bought for $50, but not worth a penny of it. Lee Iacocca wrote about this car in his first book, claiming that it was the epitome of Detroit's awful quality. He was completely right. It had three automatic choke mechanisms kludged on top of each other. One of them even circulated radiator water through it. And it would still stall on a rainy day under acceleration when it was not quite warmed up.
- 81 Honda Civic - put 190,000 miles on it over 11 years.
- 92 Toyota Corolla - Corollas are like rolling refrigerators. You buy them and run them until you can't stand to look at them anymore. Then you hand them down to your kids and buy a new one. I used to feel funny about just changing the oil every so often. So I would take them into the shop at about 90k miles and say, "hey, do something to this car, ok". The guy would change the plugs or something and say it didn't need anything else.
- 95 Mazda Van thing. This was ok, but a bit wierd.
- 98 Subaru Outback. - Got totalled.
- 00 Toyota Corolla - To replace the one I handed down to one of my sons. Working at home for the last 3 years, so it has only about 50k miles on it.
- 02 Subaru Outback. - Outbacks are amazing vehicles. The power distribution to all the wheels is so intelligent that you can floor it on a gravel driveway and it will accellerate out of a standing start without tossing up a single stone or spinning the wheels.

jeffm88

Expert Member
Media
First - 1986 Toyota SR5 Pickup
Second - 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Third - 1996 Ford Mustang Gt
Forth - 1998 Volvo 850 t5-r
fifth - 2002 Subaru Wrx

belgaboyz

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Classic 1986 bmw 518i (E28) bought in 2001, great car, got ruined in an accident 11 months later. I'm still sorry it's gone.

I'm still trying to buy one in that mint condition. Unfortunately they are hard to find here in Belgium these days.

vindicari

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1953 morris minor (the car was older than i was)
since then many, morris oxford, vauxhall viva (fekkin bundle of scrap)
ford granada, vauxhall cavalier, hyundai pony (worst car in the world)
my last four cars have been toyota camry,s. (love em) sadly replaced by the avensis. which i dont like. drove a mazda xk8 for a while (jeez it was fast) but too small, like tryin to get a size ten foot into a size 6 shoe.