Your issues with tattoos

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by ClaireTalon, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

This refers to a talk I've had last night, I was out having a couple of drinks with some girls at work. However, the girls have brought a newbie with them, only with us for a week now. Talk about welcome drinks.

However, I noticed her staring at the tattoo I have on my left shoulder. Furtive glances at first, but throughout the night I've noticed her stare at it for longer (I was wearing a top with short sleeves, so short in fact they cover only about the top quarter of my inkwork there). I was thinking she's a little shy maybe, too shy to inquire about it, and so I pulled up the sleeve and showed her the whole thing, asking whether she liked it.

Well, she didn't. She said she'd never get one, and that she absolutely couldn't understand why anyone could ever. It didn't piss me off necessarily, nobody has to like it after all, but most don't run out of words if you push on and ask for the reasons of their dislike. This time, nothing. She was shrugging it off, but it put me to think. Especially since there also appear to be some issues among men against women with ink.

I am, however, not talking about the badly done ink jobs. With tattoo artists it's always a gamble, I must admit I think mine could also have been done better, but I know girls who really have great ones. Great in execution, symbolism and taste. And I wonder what's there against these? Why do even these better ink-jobs turn some guys down, or what makes other women crinkle their nose at the sight?

Maybe the great LPSG can help me out with my questions.

2. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Good question. I don't know. But I detest them. Especially when they're the same stupid tramp stamp from the same stupid sample book right over what then looks like the same stupid ass.

Maybe it's because I figure that if something looks right, it doesn't need doodling or graffiti all over it. Much like I hate engravings of ducks on the sides of shotguns. Although I'll admit that this theory doesn't address why I hate tatoos even on those who don't look right.

The only good thing about tats is that they're not piercings. Now those I really hate.

Not entirely germaine, but it might provide another perspective - My father was an old country doctor who had several old patients who had emigrated from central Europe to the US after WW2. They would occasionally talk to him about the possibility of removing some old tatoos .... their concentration camp identification numbers. I believe he generally talked them out of getting them removed. I'm not sure why, but he was pretty dedicated and thoughtful about professional matters and I imagine he had some good reasons. However he died a few months ago, and that's one of the things I never got around to asking him.

3. cantonesejim

cantonesejim New Member

Albums:
    Personally i have tats and I love seeing girls who have CUSTOM tats, i can't stand flash. But i can understand the fixation with clean unworked skin.

4. misfit20

misfit20 New Member

I don't have any ink of my own, but I have no problem with quality work. I especially found the comment about "tramp stamps" incredibly amusing.
    As far as custom sleeves and well designed large pieces go, some of the most attractive women I have seen had either large pieces or full sleeves. If people take the time to decide on what to get done and don't rush into the decision then I see no problem with expressing your personality via custom ink work. However even some of the cheesiest designs done properly can still look ok. Or perhaps I have a bias in favour of tattoos....:biggrin1:
    On a side note, Claire do you watch that show MiamiInk? What do you think of Kat Von D's work? Personally I think it is phenomenal....

Cheers

Jeff

5. PowayWolfman

PowayWolfman Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I got a tat and 5 more planed.. i dont understand why people get so Uppity about them.. or my piercings for that matter.. It dosnt afect THEir life.. people need to learn to get over themselfs and let others live their life they way they see fit!

6. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I've got two fairly small tats. I think that in moderation ink is fine, however the tramp stamp has become so commonplace that it's lost it's cool factor. Get something that is unique.

I dislike tattoos that can't be covered with clothing when one is in a professional atmosphere. I don't want to go into a business and see ink up someone's neck or on their hand. If they want to do it fine, but it's not professional in an office or a store, etc. If you work in a tattoo parlor, it's a different story.

On girls, I don't mind a very small tattoo, but when they are heavily inked, it's too masculine for my taste.

7. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have 4 fairly small tattoos, 2 that I love (lily on the base of my spine and a flower that appears to wind around a toe and open up on the top of my foot) and 2 that I'm not so keen on and may get covered over with something I do like.

I also have my tongue pierced.

I love to see men with tatts, REALLY love it. My ex husband was virtually covered apart from above his collar and below his cuffs - for the purposes of appearing presentable in a suit.

8. va_lk_yr_ie

va_lk_yr_ie Member

To each their own.

I'm fairly heavily tattooed for a woman - all custom work. A large japanese dragon sprawling across my entire lower back (way bigger than the normal 'tramp stamp' tat that's usually confined to a small part of the lower back) and may add to a full back piece at some point in time. I'm also finishing up the last parts of a half-sleeve on my upper, left arm with koi carps, lotus flowers and swirling water.

I do get my fair share of reactions - both positive and negative when they're out. Most people that see me in my professional role (where they're always covered) would never guess I have the ink I have, nor would they guess I wouldn't mind a few strategically placed piercings - also hidden from vision.

9. Wrat

Wrat New Member

Albums:
    As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
    I don't reserve any negative feelings towards those with tats because when I was a young Marine we all got small tats and totems in the form of initials, blood type, and other information that might be useful in combat. I only have letters and numbers myself
    I don't find most tats to be particularly attractive. They are usually reduced to blue smudges after a while and they tend not to be very high quality art, even if they are well executed. If you consider the black-line art of Charles Schultz or Al Capp (cartoonists) to be very attractive then you might have an appreciation for most tattoo art.
    Like piercings, some tats are put in place to display an attitude. I do not mind other people's attitudes, but you will find out about my attitude if and when I need to deal with you. I like it that way. I think as often as not the tats are there to keep people away. Most people can't see past a big tattoo or a nose ring. If you put a ring in your lip or something that's about all anyone will ever see. As common as it is, sometimes all I can remember about talking to some girl at the store is that she had something shiny on her tongue or a big tattoo on her throat. I really don't think most people can look much further than that without some effort, and I don't think most people want to expend the energy to look further on any given work day. I sure don't.

10. OKFarmer

OKFarmer Member

I personally like a good quality tat on a woman. I don't like the *oh I like that tat on page 115 of the wall* tats however. I've met some very attractive women with personally designed, professionally inked tats. My wife is looking at getting a full back-piece done as am I. What I don't like is the teddy bear or rose that has been distorted and blurred by being placed on what used to be a nice gam and has turned into a nasty cankle.

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Again, I'll echo what seems to be the majority opinion: Well-executed, original art can be nice, but crudely inked cliches are unattractive.

I've never wanted one on myself. I would never ever ask an artist to "put page 88 on my chest", and I don't think I'm creative enough to design one that I would want on me for the rest of my life.

Claire, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from your new coworker. Last summer, some friends from out of state came to visit, so I was showing them around the Smithsonian. We walked across The Mall, and I saw a woman with lots and lots of ink visible. It wasn't particularly well-done, but I thought she probably got a lot of negative comments from strangers, so I stopped her and complimented the ink.

12. slate_australis

slate_australis New Member

Albums:
    I don't find them attractive on either men or women. I'm not going to chastise someone for doing something to their own body... I just don't like it.

13. Mi_thong

Mi_thong New Member

Albums:
    i love tattoos im working on having my entire back filled right now. I love women that have tattoos that took some planning and creativity. I hate star, flower, butterfly, and japanese symbol tattoos and other like that, you know the ones that you walk into a tattoo shop, go through the books and say, i want that 1.

14. PussyWellington

Albums:
    Personally I don't really like them. To me,they make the person look "hard" and maybe a little "scary". Having grown up in New Zealand, the Maoris' have a lot -- including facial tatoos.

I think the only one I have liked, was an ex boyfriend's map of the world on the top of his arm. This proved interesting and useful when we travelled through Indonesia and Thailand as many of the locals had never seen a map and we could show them where we were from -- me New Zealand and him Holland.

I have another friend while drunk decided to get a tatoo - our friends convinced him to get "I love fish and chips" put on his back.

15. ceg1526

ceg1526 Member

I don't care for tats on either men or women, although they do make for good positive ID. For me it's a generational thing - when I came of age no one got them. I think it's Gen-X and later.

One of my gripes (after poor work) is that there's generally no theme, no thought as to how multiple tatoos fits together as a whole. I've seen a few full-sleeves that look pretty good, but I expect that those will eventually become a glob of color as the fine work goes.

That said, it is your body (canvas?) and you can do what you like with it, as long as you're over 18. Just think before you do it - you're going to be living with it for a long time.

Take care

Ceg

16. Chrysalis

Chrysalis New Member

I have two tattoos -- the face of a snow leopard on the back of my left shoulder, and a dolphin on my right hip.

I got them when I was eighteen and nineteen, respectively, and have never regretted either one.

They both have personal significance to me, and were not done on a whim.

I plan to have another sometime soon... a custom-designed butterfly (probably about 2" by 2") but haven't quite decided where to put it. Suggestions welcome...:wink:

17. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wondered what was on your hip when I saw your picture. :smile:

I've mentioned it before but I have an old alchemy phrase on my lower back "Succus Lunariae". Spent 4 years thinking about it before getting inked. I've had nothing but positive comments and questions about it. It's there for me and I decided my lower back would be ideal so that I could hide it easily under shirts and sweaters. Problem is that I have a long torso so if I bend over, my shirt or sweater pulls up and it's in full view. That's when people notice and ask about it.

18. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I see nothing wrong with tattoos. I, personally, don't like full bodies covered in ink, because it think said people loose the ability to be truly nude... but other people find it hot, and that's cool.

I, personally, don't have any tats, but i may get a small one someday. It is something i've been thinking about doing one day in the future, and if/when i do, i don't expect to care much what other people think about it.

19. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I think we can agree that the serial jobs, like the "tramp stamp", target practice and others we have become pretty weary of seeing them. Neither do I think it's good to make the decision of getting one after a party night, or in a drunk state, however there's nothing wrong in having a couple before you go to the shop to get it. Did so myself, but that was after I've made the decision to get one, and after I've made the decision. The trigger was in my case that I've seen one really good ink job on a guy then, he had is initials (TXS), together with his service number and date of entry on his shoulder. It was done in some ornate way, with some lines around it, and I liked it, rather decent. So I went to the store and had a look at the pictures in the books, and there I've found one, a maze that revealed to be a b/w silhouette of a dragon, but only if you looked long enough. Well, that's how I got my first one.

By the way, big_dirigible, isn't "detest" a rather strong term? Disliking seems normal to me, but detesting sounds like you're having really serious issues with it.

20. ck85x65

ck85x65 New Member

It is not my place to judge. It is, after all, your body, do with it what you please.

I confess I dislike them, and find them a bit of a turnoff.

It's like the saying - not all dudes with tattoos are criminals, but go into any prison anywhere in the world and you will see ...

I think my biggest problem with tattoos (and piercings) is that they may be fun on a young body, but the owners never figure what they're going to look like in old age, when gravity takes its toll. For me the mental images are scary.

Lastly, two items:

Many females are getting tattoos on their lower backs. Should they ever want children, and require an epidural during childbirth, the doctors may refuse it, because of the risk of infection. Their position has been documented, that going through the ink layer, regardless of how small it may be, is an unacceptable risk.

Lastly, just as when I was last in Florida and saw countless women carrying small dogs in their purses wherever they went, I pity the folks who all opted for that barbed wire tattoo around the biceps. An entire generation it seems.

Draft saved Draft deleted