Your Partners Annoying Habits - How Do You Cope?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I know we all have dealbreakers; we have discussed those ad nauseum in other threads. What do you do when the object of your affection has/does one of those things on your list? Does it depend upon what it is? Or does it depend on the person, whether you decide to bend your rules? How much can the rose colored glasses of a new romance hide?

At what point do you decide that his cracking his knuckles to punctuate sentences or her eating Snickers in bed really is a big deal and you just can't live with that?

As an asthmatic and a non-smoker it takes me two days to recover everytime I go to my new beaus house. He has roommates and all of them smoke. He smokes too; but not around me. So obviously I can't go over there anymore or I can just hang out in the yard and play with the cat. But what really annoys me is the snuff. :yuck: He's not a baseball player, so it's not related to a team/camraderie thing? I just don't get it; it's such a gross habit.
Unfortunately this may be the death of us.
Please men, tell me what is the appeal of dipping snuff?
At what point do you decide you can live with a dealbreaker?
At what point do you decide great sex just isn't worth dealing with it and walk away?

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NJ Smokers and snuff? Girl run dont walk out of there, lol. Matt is just messy as hell. He comes home and the suit jacket lands on the dining room table etc. He leaves a trail of crap behind him when he gets home. I have learned just to pick his stuff up. Its not worth fighting over. He has more good traits than bad.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NJ Smokers and snuff? Girl run dont walk out of there, lol. Matt is just messy as hell. He comes home and the suit jacket lands on the dining room table etc. He leaves a trail of crap behind him when he gets home. I have learned just to pick his stuff up. Its not worth fighting over.
He has more good traits than bad.

Exactly my point! He has more good traits than bad. I mean it's just two little things I feel like I am being petty about it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Please men, tell me what is the appeal of dipping snuff?
/quote]

My friend and I used to dip in movie theaters when we were in high school. I simply did it because I couldn't smoke in the theater. When I met my future wife, even though we were both casual smokers at the time (we were both lucky enough never to get addicted to nicotine), she told me that if I ever dipped, I couldn't sleep with her in the same bed for three days. Swearing off dip forever was pretty easy after that! :biggrin1:

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm fortunate to have some very special friends who are like family to me, but don't take on many partners. I have a low tolerance for things that irritate me. If I find that I'm the one who does most of the compromising, the magic fades and I'm looking for the escape hatch. Ultimately, independence is more important to me than having a warm body to hold onto.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think the most annoying habit my partner has is he thinks he is always right. It's truly irritating at times as the only time I ever think that is when I KNOW I am right about something. For him, it's some kind of power knowledge trip. It's so f'g frustrating!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are,get over it and your self.:cool:
You never change, you are still an ignorant putz. :12: :irked:

I should have left you on ignore. I would appreciate it greatly if you would put me on ignore or at least refrain from posting in my threads since you never have anything useful or nice to say.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My g/f loves to dance...like I mean, all the time. She goes to dance classes of all kinds. When we're together, she has this tendency to stretch and do squats and back bends. Sometimes I wish she would just chill and stop moving so much. It's a little irritating. Sometimes it's extremely irritating. If I complain, she says I'm not supporting her art! :rolleyes:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My g/f loves to dance...like I mean, all the time. She goes to dance classes of all kinds. When we're together, she has this tendency to stretch and do squats and back bends. Sometimes I wish she would just chill and stop moving so much. It's a little irritating. Sometimes it's extremely irritating. If I complain, she says I'm not supporting her art! :rolleyes:
C
onstant movement is a sign of hyperactivity, not artisticness. :wink:

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At what point do you decide you can live with a dealbreaker?
At what point do you decide great sex just isn't worth dealing with it and walk away?

The whole point of deal breakers is that they break the deal. When you see one you walk. There's no fault to either party. The longer you wait the greater the message you're sending that your deal breaker is not a deal breaker, so when you finally do walk because of it (and you will - or for some pretend reason that's little more than smokescreen) the onus is all on you as to why you're leaving.

Sticking it out with annoying habits is one thing - we all do that - but deal-breakers? When I think back to all the deal breakers I've tried to stick it out with because the sex was good - smoking, party drugs, lying, jealousy, general stupidness, tattoos you need 3-D glasses to see, voting for Mike Harris - all I can do is thank God I had the presence of mind to get my ass out of that situation.

There's lots of good sex out there. Shitloads of it. And most of it wouldn't involve you mucking up your lungs.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You have to decide if the annoying habit outweighs the positives in the relationship...and truthfully, it takes considerably less energy to overlook the small things than it does to argue about them.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My man and I have been together for five years.

I now have accepted the fact that he'll never
  • change the toilet paper roll
  • screw a lid on something in the refrigerator tightly enough to keep it from spoiling
  • turn off the kitchen sink faucet completely
  • turn over in bed without pulling all the covers off of me
  • ride anywhere with me for more than an hour without kicking back and going to sleep in the passenger seat (which is why I always drive, when we're together in a car)
  • learn to fold clothes neatly
  • read the books I read
  • eat broccoli or green beans
  • put something down in the same place twice (he loses his keys and/or his wallet at least once a day somewhere inside the house, so I've learned how to think like he does in order to find them)
But also, he'll never
  • fail to consider my feelings, even when we're arguing heatedly
  • shave his chest again (he knows I love his body hair)
  • stop patting my hairy ass whenever it's available and in front of him :biggrin1:
  • quit communicating with me, even when he's depressed over his job prospects in this damned economic "downturn"
  • forget to call me and tell me to have a great day
  • laugh at me if I'm really scared or upset
  • stop being excitingly free-thinking and intellectually provocative
  • quit being creative and sexy and full of the joy of life
  • hit me
  • demean me
  • ridicule me
  • take my money and run
  • disrespect me, whether in public or in private
  • stop loving me
I really do think the advantages seriously outweigh the disadvantages.

NCbear (who's continuing to fall in love, over and over again, with his main squeeze :tongue::wink:)