Your Relationship With God

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For those who believe in God obviously :tongue:

What is your relationship with God, do you think of him as a stern but fair father, a friend, someone you can go to for advice. Do you believe that you can directly communicate with him or do you think that you have to have an intercessionary such as a priest or the church.

Do you pray, how and when? Every day to say thanks or ask for help. Only when you're in need? Before meals or bedtime, and how are your prayers articulated.

Feel free to make any comment you feel relevant.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh...um, wow. This is a pretty cool thread.

I believe in God, totally. I grew up Baptist denomination, but kinda ventured into the more "charismatic" side later on.

I've seen alot of different ways to talk to God and ways people believe he works or moves in our lives, but for me I think of Him as real as anyone. He knows what I'm thinking and he often gives me the tools I need to make it through some of the hardest of situations.

As far as prayer, I pray all throughout the day, but not in some sort of event or traditional certain steps...just when I think of something to say, I go to Him.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't believe in God but I'm always interested in hearing the other side and I realised I didn't actually know how people saw God on a personal level.

Do you go to church jock? If so what kind and why do you feel the need to go, is it to touch base with other people who believe in God or to worship him or?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For those who believe in God obviously. :tongue:

What is your relationship with God, do you think of him as a stern but fair father, a friend, someone you can go to for advice. Do you believe that you can directly communicate with him or do you think that you have to have an intercessionary such as a priest or the church. I pray directly to the big guy. :cool:

Do you pray, how and when? Every day to say thanks or ask for help. Only when you're in need? Before meals or bedtime, and how are your prayers articulated.

Feel free to make any comment you feel relevant.
Everyday before I get out of bed I thank the Lord for giving me another day. I pray for his guidance to handle whatever comes my way. Of course I pray for the wellbeing and good health of my family and friends.

We have always said grace before meals in my family.

FYI - Unlike the President, God doesn't talk to me. :rolleyes: I don't hear his voice or any other telling me what to do.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My relationship with God is in my heart and mind. I truly feel God is a loving father/mother and friend. Not so much a frienbd you can go to for advice, but I feel in nature and life, God has a way of showing you a path through little and often mundane things. I don't think I can communicate directly to him as I don't think I can hear his voice, but his love is in my heart, mind and soul.

As for prayer, we pray at church and dinner, but that is about as routine as it gets. I have been known to grab my rosary and pray for the ill or those in need. I will pray for friends who are going through hard times and I will pray when I personally need strength or when life becomes a bit overwhelming. I will occasionally pray a prayer of thanks for gifts I am given (not necessarily material).

As for how my prayers are articulated, I think it is evident. I am blessed with many wonderful people in my life (online and off), I have beautiful, healthy, intelligent, and loving children, a wonderful and beautiful wife, and a pretty good life. I think God or whatever you wish to call the higher power has been very good to me.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you go to church jock? If so what kind and why do you feel the need to go, is it to touch base with other people who believe in God or to worship him or?

Yeah, I go to church, because I was always taught that the "church" is the people who follow the word and not the building you congregate in. Also, it's part of being involved with the relationship that you fellowship with like minded people. Just like anything else in life.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't believe in God but I'm always interested in hearing the other side and I realised I didn't actually know how people saw God on a personal level.

Though you don't believe, do you feel there is a greater power or force out there that kind of drives things or maybe helps influence the unseen?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I believe in God, and I love him dearly. I don't really see him as being family or friend. I guess in a way, I sort of view him as the "wise old man" of the village. But to me, he's more of an energy than a being. I think he's eternal love. I don't fear him, I look up to him. I never worry about whether or not my actions will cause him to be angry with me, because I know that I'm not here to make him happy or to gain his approval... I was pre-approved when he created me. :smile: I don't really pray or make a concerted effort to communicate with God, but I should probably try to do that more often. I always know he's there, though.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No I don't Osiris, I feel it's all a big cosmic fluke. There are times when I would like to believe in God, for instance when my father died, when I'm having bad times, but I just don't and can't. However, I realise that someone else's belief in God is no more disprovable than my disbelief.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Being a skeptic and of a scientific mind, i totally believe in God.

I do not and i'll repeat it as i mean it, do not, believe in the hokum, humbo gumbo bollocks of the man made constructed so called organised religions.

Christianity, Judaism, Islam... is all hypocritical shit, designed to keep the lowly masses obedient, the rich privalidged and women in the kitchen or the bed. At best they can be described as a set of basic (out dated) guide lines for life. Nothing more.

Religions are intended to guide mankind but all too aften they blind mankind to whole purpose they were intended for. Which is peace and harmony with ones self, those around us and the world we live in.

No one needs to be in a specific building to be close to God. No one needs some backwards shit peddling middle man, no matter how good their intentions, to be closer to God.

I would say i have a very personal, one to one relationship with God. He/She has always been there for me in my deepest darkest hours of need. No, i dont hear voices before you start and neither did God give me the lottery numbers. It's not that black and white.

Theres an old addage, for those that believe, no proof is needed, for those who dont, no proof will do. Its kinda true, you can be given an idea of who or what God is but you have to find him/her, whatever, by yourself to understand it.

It pisses me off who people think of God as some mean bastard picking on people. If your 4 year old son is hit by a car, news flash, God didnt kill him, the pissed up wanker driving did. If you contracted HEP C or something equally as nasty, God didnt give it to you, the dirty needle or blantant disregard for the condom did.

We blame God and scape goat him for all the wrong that may befall us in this world, espically when we cant face the fact that 50% of the time, it's our fellow man thats done something evil to us and the remaining 50% is our own shit timing, poor judgement, coindence, good old fashioned bad luck or just LIFE.

God to me, I guess, is simply acomplishment despite adversity. To have shit rain down on you every day, who dosent, and still give your only umbrella to someone else, cos you know what it like to be shit on, so you'd choose to spare someone else the greif. To be a victim, and we all are from time to time, but to rebuild ourselves, or to help rebuild those that need it and be more humaine, despite of our damages, or even because of them. Empathy, dignity, sympathy, courage and the witt not to be played as a sucker, lol... thats what bring us closer to God and it's through these i believe we hear the faintest echos of the divine.

I see God as a familiar if not distant friend. You cant call Him up to go for a beer or whime about your boyfriend to Him, but hes the quiet voice of reason keeping you calm when your arse is litterly on fire, the spark that gave you the unexpected currage to step in and intervien when everyone else is just watching, Hes the infitessimally small glimmer of hope that no matter how much pain we're in, someone else knows such pain too, that someone may help us when we need it most. If you're poor, you're poor, God aint gonna give you money. But God is the charity of your friends, family and strangers that bail you out, no matter how small. If you're tired, sad and hurting, God isnt an over the counter fix it all pill, Hes the oppertunity that we might look at ourselves and ask why and how we're like this, Hes the grace we show when we pick ourselves out of the shit, not the reason we are in the shit in the first place.

So what about serial killers i hear you ask, simply, fuck'em. Mankind chooses to kill. There are only three animals in the whole world that choose to war with each other, ants, chimps and man. If someone freely kills of no other reason or grounds than the sake of it, put the fuckers down.

Rant nearly over, i just gotta take a breath, lol

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would qualify myself as an atheist and therefore don't believe in a God as a supreme deity like the cliche of the old man with a beard sitting on a throne. But when I do consider religion, specifically Christianity I think the Jesus had some interesting ideas.

And what gets distorted in the varying interpretations of the Bible is the message that Jesus had which I think has value. Whether he was a real person or not is irrelevant to me, and if what is written in scriptures ought to be construed as literal truth is beside the point.

The message I take from the life of Jesus was that he was a simply a man not unlike myself who was trying to find answers and discover his own spirituality and find a path to enlightenment.

I don't think that religions should be so narrowly defined as having cornered the market on truth but they can be used as a guide or stepping stone to help your understand yourself and the cosmos.

I relate in to what I believe to be a Buddhist or Hindu parable. That if you are on some journey and come to a river you might construct a raft to get you to the other side. But once across you wouldn't throw the raft over you shoulder and continue on. Rather, you just leave it beside the river."

This is how I fell about religion. Scriptures, tenets, and other texts of religion can sometimes be a useful tool like a raft and help you on your journey of self discovery, spirtuality or personal enlightenment but they can only get you so far. At some point you must continue on without them and not rely on them too heavily otherwise they can become a crutch and then impede your progress. Eventually you must make the rest of the journey alone with you own judgments and intuition and leave the raft by the side of the river.

I hope that makes sense :smile:

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
god is the thread of the fabric that creates our existence.
we man,are also composed of that same thread.
we just need to learn how to stop seeing the fabric and
start looking at the seams.
that is a mild synopsis of how i see it.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.....That's true..but at least it makes you a church goer

What's your point? Are church-goers better or closer to God than non church-goers?

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
:smile: .....I was an atheist for many years,and then i discovered buddhism,and started to meditate daily,it was through this that i realized what god is........, you cant describe god,love,etc....call it what you will ,its a realization its an experience you can only live it,thats why the nearest we ever get to decribing it is in poetry,art ,song ,etc ,i know there is god but i cant help anyone to see that,you have to find out for your self....sadly some people live there lives and never do,..........you cant find god you never will,...god finds.... YOU....I see god as the life force in all of us god is life.I dont hold with any organized religion and no priesthood, we dont need mediators just an ..open loving heart ...,thats all true prayer is being qiute and listening for that still small voice within..... that which you seek you already have.....:smile: