Your religion

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Jul 5, 2008.

?

what is your religion

Poll closed Aug 4, 2008.
  1. athiest

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. agnostic

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. christian

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. catholic

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. jewish

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. muslim

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. hindu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

What if any is your religion and does it cause issues when looking for love etc.

2. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    Athiest. And, so long as the girl isn't pushy about her beliefs, there has been no real problem about it.

And please don't get me started about the abuse of the term "agnostic". . .

3. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Agnostic and not even remotely interested in others that believe in alleged gods anymore than I am interested in those that believe in leprechauns.

"When you understand why you do not believe in other gods, then you will understand why I don't believe in yours.”

4. D_Portelay Porquesword

Primarily Christian but not limited to. I do believe in God, a divine being, and universal energy and all that good stuff.

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

i wanna know what you mean though!!! lol

6. invisibleman

Gold Member

I am a spiritual being having a human experience.

There aren't any guarantees that you are supposed to get love. So, we have to learn to fill that gap.

#6 invisibleman, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  7. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    pretty much a solitary (alone) eclectic Pagan. I don't have a specific path at the moment. I pray and send positive thoughts to others but I do not feel comfortable in a "traditional" setting or someone telling me how I have to interpret a book. I am an adult I can come to my own conclusions.

I am very tolerant of other religions and love learning about comparative world religions. I just don't like when people use religion as an excuse for violence in any form such as war or sacrificial purposes. I'm open to new ideas unless I feel someone trying to convert me........sorry I doubt it will ever happen. I feel closeness with the powers that "may" be either in nature or at home.

I don't have to go to church every weekend to be a good person. If you think I am going to hell. Maybe I will, but I will live my life as I want be as friendly and as helpful to others in my family, community, and country as I can.

8. invisibleman

Gold Member

I agree with that. I don't go to church. I am a good person but I do have a bad temper. But I don't deal well with malaise. I am more attuned with my emotions. I am not Superman. I can't be a lot to many so I just be myself. And I allow others to be themselves.

There are things in this world way bigger than religion. If you ascribe to a religion that is so rigid and causes to cast a blind eye to people's life experiences...then, I think that religion is bad in that regard.

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

The Carpenter from Nazareth and Prince Gautama are my guides and masters

no issues

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm a flaming pagan, and I believe that I"m here to explore and push my physical and emotional boundaries and those of my sundry consorts.

That philosophy has informed all of my interpersonal relationships, most especially those of a sexual nature. But it's my path, not necessarily anyone else's and most especially not everyone else's.

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I was raised Catholic, but don't really follow it. If asked I would say Catholic.

In finding a partner, it is not an issue for me, as long as it is not one for them. By this I mean that I would not want to be in a relationship with someone who felt that I should convert for them.

I had a good friend that was Born Again Christian and he wanted that in a mate too.

12. zacktoria

zacktoria New Member

Albums:
    I'm Catholic and attend mass weekly......if I marry I think having a spouse with the same beliefs as myself could add to the relationship. I mean let's be honest relationships are hard enough to fight about religion. I think common ground is a good thing. However, I would NEVER rule out someone based on their beliefs.

And on further thought I don't know if I could have a ltr with someone who wasn't religious - wouldn't have to be organized religion but some belief system.

Great poll/question! Made me think on a Saturday!

13. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Blissism

14. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, in short, if the question is "Do you believe in (any dieties)" then the response "I'm agnostic" is not an answer. Agnostic is really only an adjective: it modifies the noun "theistic/atheistic;" it addresses the state of our knowledge (literally), not the state of our beliefs, per se. One could believe that God exists, for instance, but feel that His existence is unknown or unknowable -- they would be an Agnostic Theist, essentially.

The problem is when people use "agnostic" to imply an openness to belief, to mean something to the effect of "I don't know about (diety), but I would believe if I had some." On the surface, this is a profoundly obvious statement, but it is also an implicit admission to atheism: they do not believe (diety) exists.

In other words, by treating agnosticism as some third category to "existence" -- 'things I know are real, things I know are NOT real, and things I can't put into the other two' -- they commit a catgory error by confusing 'belief' with 'knowledge.' But existential beliefs are black-or-white; you either believe something exists, or you don't. As they say, 'you can't be half-pregnant.' :D

So, that's kinda what I meant. . .! :D

15. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Agnostic is often mistakenly used by folks to mean "undecided".

Properly, agnostic means that you don't form beliefs about things for which you have no evidence.

The big bang is actually the only evidence for such a thing as a God... but it says nothing about the nature of that potential God, nor even if that God is in any way present in the Universe...

And the Big Bang could just as easily have been caused by some NON- god phenomenon outside of our reality.

Because there is no evidence for a God as described, a true agnostic does not believe in God.

However... since there is also no compelling evidence that there absolutely is no such thing as God... the agnostic must take the position that atheism is an unproven assumption.

I can not state that there is no God, even though I can logically prove that God can not possibly be as described in the bible.

Because there is ample evidence that any purported God can NOT be as described in the bible... an Agnostic believes there can be no Judeo/Christian style God.

Due to the paucity of actual evidence, the agnostic can not invest the notion of God with any form of belief.

#15 Phil Ayesho, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    I worship the Almighty Jeebus. My pastor is Homer Simpson.

17. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I have no religion BUT if i was ever to chose one i would go with Buddhist. I like they way they think

18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    In reviewing the poll, I noticed that Buddhism isn't even listed as a possibility, and that, for whatever reason, the OP doesn't consider Catholics to be Christian (hence the separate categories).

19. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Ain't no religion guiding my life.. I find it hard enough to live by my own rules already.

20. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.

Draft saved Draft deleted