Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I notice that Mormon and Scientologist are not one of the choices. (the only things I know about those religions I learned from South Park)
Although there IS a whole debate if Mormon is Christian or not, let's not go there. It could be Christian, or Other.
Scientology, definately definately OTHER!!!

The Bahá’í Faith and Jainism would fall into the other category as well.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I am NOT an expert on any religion. However, if what you say is true, then you may want to correct this wikipedia entry about Eastern Orthodox.
Members of the Eastern Orthodox Church usually refer to themselves as simply Orthodox. Eastern is a term often applied in the Western World for the sake of clarity. Traditionally the Orthodox refer to themselves as Catholic since the Roman Empire (centered in Constantinople) called itself Roman and its people, Greek speaking though they were, called themselves Romans. But for modern scholarship and to alleviate confusion in textbooks the term Byzantine Empire is often used today. Members of the Orthodox Church consider themselves to be members of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, a claim also held by the Assyrian Church, the Coptic Church, and what is today referred to in the Western World as the Roman Catholic Church. As the Orthodox see it the Assyrians and Copts broke from the church after the first few centuries and the Roman Catholics in 1054. Since then the Eastern Church has referred to itself as Orthodox (Correct Believing). National pride has lead many local congregations to adopt national epithets such as Greek Orthodox or Russian Orthodox, but theologically and spiritually there is believed to be only One Church, the Orthodox Church.

Several other ancient Churches in Eastern Europe, Western Asia, and North Africa also use the term Orthodox, but are distinct from the Eastern Orthodox Church as described in this article.

Oh, your confusion makes sense after reading that. That's a semantic issue. The Roman Catholic sect (typically called Catholic) and the Eastern Orthodox sect (typically called Orthodox) are very different from one another, having separated long ago. The use of the term "Catholic" in that part of the article isn't referring to Roman Catholicism, but to the meaning of the word "catholic" in the original greek--that is, meaning "original". Orthodox do consider themselves the closest church to the "original", and therefore in Greek call themselves "katholikos", but that's not related to Roman Catholicism.

If you are interested in the large number of differences between the two, read farther into the articles. :smile:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am NOT an expert on any religion. However, if what you say is true, then you may want to correct this wikipedia entry about Eastern Orthodox....
Oh yes, Wiki where I go whenever I want inaccurate information. Not fair, actually. They do at times have the proper and correct information. Of course when they don't it becomes much worse as the incorrect information starts circulating the internet as people grab onto it as, um, er, gospel truth.
(this is not against you njqt466, just a commentary on Wikipedia)

I notice that Mormon and Scientologist are not AMONG the choices. (the only things I know about those religions I learned from South Park)
Mormons were learned about from Mona, The Osmonds, Mitt Romney and countless commercials and a few PBS programs. Scientology I learned about from listening to rantings of Tom Cruise. Never heard of South Park but I've been to South Beach-the good one on Staten Island.

And why aren't Wiccans listed?

As to me, I was born in a non-religious family-nothing was officially practiced. We then came zip-zip-zipping to The U.S.A. In an effort to become quickly assimilated into the American culture, it was determined that joining a church was the way to go. The nearest one was Methodist. I was soon baptized at The Church of St.Paul and St.Andrew
http://www.samedifference.org/images/Links/spsa2.jpg
on a cold day. The minister, who I have long since forgotten, first attempted to slowly drown me (or was it water torture) by dropping water on me. It was winter, and odds are that I would have soon frozen to death had it not been for my newly redeemed soul. I attended Methodist church services for several years and then became a member. A few years later I withdrew membership. Or attempted to. The Methodists seem to be desperate, and didn't let me off their list for several years.

These days I believe in a singular God who is aided by several others-those who were once in Earthly form and now are there (wherever there may be). I suppose it's some form of Christianity-

Last edited:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, there's Protestantism and the several Orthodox faiths (Greek, Russian, Syrian, etc). Allegiance to the Pope is a major point of separation and there are many liturgical differences, besides. I'm hardly an expert in comparative religion, myself, though.

I remember as a young kid on the school bus being caught up in some inane discussion when the Catholic kids insisted that all non-Catholics go straight to Hell. Being quite upset by this, I asked my mother when I got home. As my mom never missed an opportunity to hate on something, she reassured me that, in fact, "the little bastards have it backward" before launching into an attack on the Pope. I think I can trace my pagan sympathies to just that moment :rolleyes:

Hahaha....pissin my pants laughing at this little story of your past!

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Buddhist, practicing in the Tibetan tradition........and for what it's worth, many Buddhists consider themselves to be agnostic as to the existence of God........It's not considered a fruitful or helpful activity to ponder the existence or non- existence of God

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I spent 9 years in a convent , nun run boarding school, I can fucking well asure you it changed my views on sex and I cant cum unless its fucking well wrong

Dear Sparkle_pony

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you mean you have hangups about sex as a result of your convent experience? If so, please try and move out of that hungup place and enjoy your sexuality to the full.

I sure have dropped the traditional Catholic view of sex and relationships. Although I'm an active Catholic, I have many different views than do traditional Catholics: Sex is one, women's ordination is another.

Lots of love

Tiggerpoo

jack65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello

The differences between the Christians and to a broader extent other God based religions is like this,

Dear word pad, today dad called us to a family dinner, all my bothers and sisters were there as well, once again dinner did not go well, while dad was talking about family and its importance a argument broke out between us all and before we knew it everyone was shouting over dad and then he just stopped talking, look at us & hung his head and cried, no one could fix it then, again we all started to fight over who did this to our father.
We all went home and the dinner did not even get eaten, i had to buy some take out on the way home!
You see Dear Word Pad all my brothers & sisters just make dad upset, i wish sometimes that i was an only child then there would not be all this fighting when i go to dad's place and he would not be upset with them.
so what shall i do dear word pad? I know, when i see the others I'll try to be polite to them, and i know that dad likes me best any way, to tell you the truth i hope dad just invites me for dinner next time. I mean what does he see in them anyway?

Until tomorrow good night Dear word Pad.

These are my views only

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Buddhist, practicing in the Tibetan tradition........and for what it's worth, many Buddhists consider themselves to be agnostic as to the existence of God........It's not considered a fruitful or helpful activity to ponder the existence or non- existence of God

Bingo.

These are my views only

Full-bore bingo.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Only an agnostic who accepts whatever evidence you are alluding to.
There is no reason why an agnostic cannot say he has no proof of whether or not the Judeo-Christian-style God exists or not.
He may be foolish in saying that, or not.
But if he sees no compelling evidence (whether that lack of perception is evidence of stupidity or, possibly, exceptional insight), then he can truly call himself an agnostic on the question of whether a Judeo-Christian God exists.

I think you are making a qualifying error in this response.
You seem to think that being agnostic is to say "i don't know one way or another" and so leave it at that. Again, the mistake is that being agnostic does NOT mean "undecided"

Apparently a lot of folks make the same assumption... as 'agnostic' is one of the most commonly misused and misunderstood words around.

Its not about religion.
Agnosticism goes far further than mere issues of religion. It is not, as is atheism, a position on God... it is a position on the concept of "knowing" , and it applies to every aspect of human interaction with the outside world.

Here's what people don't get about agnosticism. Its default state is DISBELIEF. It is, in fact, the position that 'belief' itself is not acceptable... that knowledge must be based upon evidence.

Therefore, when asked about a judeo christian god, a true agnostic would respond, "I do not believe in the judeo christian god." Why? because there is no evidence in support of it.

When asked about atheism they would reply, " I do not believe in atheism".
Why? Because there is no evidence about that either.

In short, agnosticism, as it applies to God, is that ANY statement about God, is founded on ZERO evidence and is therefore simply unreasonable. God's existence or absence is UNKNOWABLE.

However... people DO make statements about God... defining God, describing God....
I can certainly Judge these statements on their own merit as to whether they could possibly be consistent with reality. This is not making statements about God... this is making statements about the statements made about God. ( And this is partly how agnostics prove there is no evidence of God- by proving the statements made about God are impossible and unprovable)

God or no God the one thing we can say about reality is that Logic applies to it.

Lacking real evidence, I can examine statements about God purely from the perspective of whether they are purely conceptual, or whether they can actually exist.

For example... we can talk about the concept of infinity... but infinity can not actually exist. There is a finite volume to space, a finite number of particles in space and a finite number of places those particles can actually be.

Mathematically, I can divide a pound of lead infinitely... but in practice, I do not have infinite time to divide it... and in reality, I can not divide lead infinitely because eventually I will be dividing an individual atom of lead... and then it ceases to be lead.
So infinity, while a useful idea, can not actually exist in reality.

We can conceptualize and discuss things that simply can not actually BE.

Similarly, we can ascribe all kinds of theoretical characteristics to God... such as omnipotence... but that does not mean that such a characteristic can actually exist in reality.

The God described in the bible simply can not exist, as described, and still exercise moral authority.
He can not have the powers attributed... the old question of whether God can create a rock so large he can not lift it is perfect proof of the ridiculousness of omnipotence as a concept. Fun to entertain, but not possible.

This is not to say that God can not exist... just that ALL "knowledge" claimed of God can be proven false.

We can state that the difference between an imaginary God and a God that would actually exist is that a 'real' God would be limited to those qualities that are actually possible.

Again... Agnostics take the position that ANY claims as to the real nature of God can be proven false... therefore there is no evidence on which to base ANY belief.

The agnostic's repsonse to ANY claim of knowledge is, "I don't care nor credit what you 'believe'; what can you demonstrate?"

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unitarian Universalist here, infrequent churchgoer (although I've gone the past two Sundays! **pats myself on the back**:biggrin1:)

As for issues in finding love, I would only have a problem if the person I dated was a fundamentalist (unfortunately dated two of these and broke up with both of them over the religion issue) or a Satanist.
Non-fundamentalist Christian, Jewish, Pagan, agnostic, atheist, whatever... (yes I know I'm leaving some religions out... doesn't mean they're not worthy, just can't think of ALL of them!) are fine. Just no fundamentalists/religious right types! And no Satanists!