Your tax-dollars spent in Iraq

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tracksuitboy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

With the cost of Iraq - bombing it, invading it, staying in it - is in the region of $500 billion and climbing, how do you Americans feel about this? Given that the 9/11 Enquiry found that there was no connection between Saddam and Al-Qaeda, the "leftist / liberal" view (yep, mine) was that the reason for removing Saddam was a total crock (ok then, a lie). As a result, the $500 bln was not spend on the "war against terrorism" as you were told.

How do you feel about this?

$500 billion is a shit-load of money by anyone's standards (even Paul McCartney's) and could have paid for X hospitals, X police, X teachers and so on. As it is, you will reap the benefit of precicely $0 of the money spent in and on Iraq.

How do you feel about this.

My reference point is entirely on the financial perspective by the way

2. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

BTW, the cost to the UK taxpayer for Blair's contribution to this conspiracy is about £3 bln (around $5.1 bln) ... smallfry compared to your costs.

3. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    To give you a low-brow response, it sucks!

At this point, I'll be surprised if Bush wins in November.

4. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: well Tony Blair declared war before bush did , and as I see it George W. is trying to clean-up a job his father left unfinished long ago. Lets face it Saddam was a sack of shit who should have been taken out in the first round

5. mindseye

Gold Member

That figure is a projection of how much will eventually be spent, and I think it's probably on the low side. The actual amount spent so far is about $119 billion -- $422 for every person in the country.

http://www.costofwar.com has a really nice site that displays a running total of the present expenditures on the war -- and allows you to break it down geographically (Q: What is my state's share of the war cost? A: Over $2 billion) -- and also by missed opportunities (Q: How many 4-year college scholarships could have been furnished with this money? A: Over 3 million.)

Tragic and unacceptable, really.

6. Imported

Gold Member

7. jonb

Gold Member

LOL Hulk Hogan?

8. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Well Jesse Ventura is talking about running in 2008, until then Bush or Kerry sounds like a two ASSED coin toss to me.

Did I mention I HATE POLITICS?

9. Imported

Gold Member

dcbulgefreak: each election gets easier and easier for me to pick who i'd vote for. i'd vote for the corpse of richard nixon over that cockroach that is in there now.

it really bites my ass how people talk ON AND ON about clinton's lies. he got a blow job and lied about it. BIG FUCKING DEAL. it is totally irrelevant to me what the president does with his sex life. its personal business. let hillary handle it.

bush lies and people die. and most people think this is less of a sin. i really really don't get it.

the so called "liberal biased" press does not talk much about what this war is costing us in money and lives and worldwide respect. we will pay for this for years to come in alot of ways. anybody know how many iraqis have died? nope. its never mentioned. the pro-bush media doesn't release such things. anybody catch the scenes of our soldiers gunning people down in baghdad for protesting? it was on pbs a few months ago. you had to look fast. so much for free speech. what about the torture chambers we set up there. heard about it for a bit, but then oh, reagan died. bigger news story. he was so wonderful because of the deficit he created, lack of attention to AIDS and poor people, and the iran/contra scandal that we need to honor him by renaming airports and roads and putting his face on the $10 bill and maybe carving his mug into mount rushmore.

with each year, i grow more and more bitter against the republican party. they are a "win at all costs" group of right wing misfits intent on running the country into the ground for the sake of lining their pockets with money. i hate you with every fiber of my being. i want to see tom delay in a cage with his mouth taped shut.
    what a vile human being.

and remember, osama bin laden is still on the loose. HE was the one that directed the events of 9/11, not saddam hussein. (i'm predicting he gets found in late october, just in time for bush to claim victory and ride easily to his second term)

i'm a pissed off puppy tonight. had a bad day. sorry guys - ignore my post even though i mean every word. gnite.

10. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

So..anyone for North Korea or Iran?

Heads or tails?

11. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

Nah... it's the wrong time of year. How about later - say early November?

12. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ...

13. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

Now, the torture is being done by American and - sadly - some British troops.

14. jonb

Gold Member

North Korea doesn't have any oil. We already have deals with Pakistan, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. We outsource jobs to China, Indonesia, et al because they're such human rights abusers.

15. madame_zora

Gold Member

dcbulgefreak, I'd just like to add my "hear, hear" to your disgruntled post. Why would I care what BC did with his penis?? It is his after all, not mine. I rather enjoyed the eight years of financial bliss I had then. His lies were non-offensive, not one person died because of them. I'd vote for the corpse of Frankenstein over this current administration! Please people, get out and vote! I also have not doubt Bin Laden will convenitently resurface just in time to give ol' dubya the boost he needs.... dammit! I hope to GAWD we're not that stupid as a nation....

16. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    This is not a War Against Al-Queida, this is a War Against Terrorism.

Saddam Hussien was known to pay the families of suicide bombers substantial sums.

To say that this money did not go to fight the War Against Terrorism is false.

And in case you forgot, North Korea and China have nuclear weapons already.

17. mindseye

Gold Member

Thank you, Barney. Have a milk bone.

I will agree that this is "not a war against Al-Qaeda". However, it is also not "a war against terrorism". Iraq had not posed any serious threat for years; the Bush administration had to manufacture and distort evidence in order to make the opposite appear true.

Incidentally, the US government also financially remunerates the families of service personnel who are killed while on active duty. (oh, but that's different, you say!)

Pop quiz -- how many of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Iraqi?)

18. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Thanks you, mindseye. How level headed for such a young man!

Luke :)

19. jwc1978

jwc1978 New Member

You wanna know something that will really piss you off..... People in Iraq are only paying 5 cents a gallon for gas, and US Government is subsidizing it. Saw the story on Yahoo news.

20. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    You don't have to like Kerry or Bush, but I do think it's important to remember that whoever is President will likely appoint at least 2 Supreme Court judges who will be there for the rest of their lives. I think that's one of the most important reasons why we should care about who wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted