Your thoughts about homosexuality

Which words and phrases describe your feelings about same-sex attractions?

• Total voters

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thank you. I get a lot of hassle from family for not forcing him into sports, playing with army type dolls and so on.

Oy. It's too bad that some people still want to "force" kids to get into sports or play in a particular way. There's nothing wrong with the kid; it's the adults who are uncomfortable that have a problem.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
aww.. That's sweet of you. I'm not sure if most parents would be that accepting and willing to speculate that his or her child is probably gay. It says good things about you. :smile:

Yeah, ain't that the truth - even with people you'd expect to be comfortable with it - One of my cousins is gay and my aunt and uncle were, IMO, two of the coolest and liberal thinking people I knew. When my cuz came out my uncle was cool but my aunt went a bit funny - she asked me whether I thought they had done something wrong to make her gay - I was like :confused: I asked her outright did she think being gay was a defect, she said no. So where was the 'we did something wrong that made her gay' coming from? - I mean specifically she was worried she'd been a bad mother and felt that she didn't have a normal daughter any more. (Yikes!) Due to a completely unrelated issue I haven't spoken to this aunt in a few years so I don't know if she has settled down - but she was the last person I expected to react that way. Most odd.

Last edited:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
You know...I actually have to agree here. GRANTED people should be who they are...but I know SOME gay guys are WAY over the top in their actions but its not always girly. I think everyone has had this feeling about some people in the community. HOWEVER, it's the same in the Straight world too. Some guys are sooo insecure with themselves they act hypermasculine, overbearing. I think it all boils down to insecurity and also the lack of or personal need for attention that makes them "kick it up a notch." BAM! (Emeril Legasse) :) hahah

I agree with that too. It's a bit too much from both sides.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I suspect you would've learned more about how people "really feel" with a poll where the respondents' identity was masked. I think most people realize that on a gay-friendly group like LPSG, it's uncouth (and widely unacceptable) to publicly state that homosexuality is "disgusting" or "should be illegal."

Steve

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
i put perfectly natural, acceptable to most of society and happy if my child was gay. im gonna regret this but i also put mentla disorder.
before you start quoting me and typing out your rage against me hear me out. i say its a mental disorder becuase scientifically i believe it is in nature to want to procreate. however i contradict itself to say its natural because not everyone is the same. not everyone has the same view on salad and even straiht people are not keen on having kids, thus id say they have a mental disorder. by saying its a mental disorder im not saying im against it at all or its not normal, id love to know more gay people to broaden my own horizons and because straight guys macho bullshit does get boring after a while. i even put myself as 1% gay therefore i have the same mental disorder. where i come from and my main enviroment, a liberal college, we have lots of gays. i dont find them wierd but i can agree with pieter about the annoying ones, we have some trans gender ones, well per op, and they annoy me. not because of their choice because they act as if everyone is againt them and they impose it on us like someone might impose a certain race by acting victimised when they are not. all in all i think gays and bi and all the other mentally disturbed people such as myself ;) make life far more interesting and if every guy wanted to "bang chicks" id probably have shot myself long ago.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I suspect you would've learned more about how people "really feel" with a poll where the respondents' identity was masked. I think most people realize that on a gay-friendly group like LPSG, it's uncouth (and widely unacceptable) to publicly state that homosexuality is "disgusting" or "should be illegal."

Yeah, possibly. I guess I like learning about the personalities here, and that's why I didn't make it anonymous.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
THANKS fr the Thread MrM

Perfectly Normal
I am impressed how its much more accepted now than previous.
Perhaps forever and a day .. there will be folk confused re it all (i was till age 29 or so')
I now KNOW -i was born Gay- (let no person try and tell me otherwise')
Shame a few folk appear to be a little over the top' with there Gayness (flamboyant' accept it now tho -def NATURAL & often Normal)
Personally not so much into Gay Marriage' but can see and understand how its important to some
Similarly not into the 'holding hands in Public scenario' -just me- (Public displays as such can confuse kids?)
Have never been a Protestor for Gay Rights... but have always admired those who have been so forthright in it all.
Tend to often forget of our Lesbian Sisters - Apologys - (possibly as i am not into Social Scenes)
Get very annoyed with the Ignorant re Homosexuality (you dont want to be around me)
enz
AGREE wholeheartedly with ocmusclejock,s post
(thats about all for now..may add a little more in-depth later on...i am sort of capable of such..haha)

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i put perfectly natural, acceptable to most of society and happy if my child was gay. im gonna regret this but i also put mentla disorder.

Don't regret it. Standing up for your position will encourage others to be honest if they agree with you.

they annoy me. not because of their choice because they act as if everyone is againt them and they impose it on us like someone might impose a certain race by acting victimised when they are not.

They're not just "acting" as if everyone is against them; they probably really feel that way. Try to empathize a little. Imagine if you felt like you were born as the wrong sex. It's not easy to live like that.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I felt embarrassed when Clay Aiken officially came out.

I somehow felt that was bad PR for the cause.

The thing that stands out most among the responses so far is a discomfort with effeminate men, so you're not alone. I think it's a shame, really, but it's reality.

And George Michael's arrest for public gay sex in a Beverly Hills bathroom (which he then blamed on "depression").

Just remember that you define yourself, not Clay Aiken, George Michael, or anyone else. If you let others define you, you'll never be happy.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Don't regret it. Standing up for your position will encourage others to be honest if they agree with you.

They're not just "acting" as if everyone is against them; they probably really feel that way. Try to empathize a little. Imagine if you felt like you were born as the wrong sex. It's not easy to live like that.

I can believe it isn't easy to be that confused. But what I also notice a lot, is that people don't give you a chance to understand, they immiaditaly think that you are against them. Not only with gay, bi or transgenders. But in a lot of things. It happens a lot, and that isn't fair.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
its hard to emphasise when your view is wrong immediatly. like what pieter said. i also must confess that i didnt speak to these people as i never really had a need to, but in my opinion a college especially ours with its religious conservatives, preppy whores, weed heads, mild alcoholics etc is a silly place to feel like everyones against you when we are all pretty screwed up in some way as it is.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can believe it isn't easy to be that confused. But what I also notice a lot, is that people don't give you a chance to understand, they immiaditaly think that you are against them. Not only with gay, bi or transgenders. But in a lot of things. It happens a lot, and that isn't fair.

I think a lot of people (including me) have been caught off-guard and even confused by the wide range of acceptance (and non-acceptance) of homosexuality. The elimination of same-sex marriage in California added to this feeling. We're in the middle of a proverbial hurricane in America when it comes to gay rights and equality.

I understand what you're saying, but I also understand how paranoia can take over the mindset of gays and transgendered people. It's like terrorism. Although the chance of being a victim of terrorism (or anti-gay violence) is small, it only takes one act of terrorism (or gay bashing) to cause an entire community to be afraid.

Does that help you understand why they may feel the way they do?

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
An observation - significant or not?

Out of the 12 who said that homosexuality is "accepted by most of society":

7 are straight or mostly straight
3 are gay or mostly gay

(the other 2 had no info in their profiles)
Two possible conclusions:

1. A lot of gays are paranoid and overestimate the amount of antigay sentiment in society.

2. A lot of straights are naive and underestimate the amount of antigay sentiment in society.
Which is the truth? Or are both true?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
MisterMark: You're absolutely right. I do feel some discomfort with effeminate gay men I suppose. Not so much in real life (when I get to know somebody it no longer makes a difference) -- but in terms of public figures coming out.... Clay Aiken is a fairly lispy effeminate guy and (I think) a stereotypical "gay" singer... I kinda wished he stayed in the closet (yes, I know this is a reflection of me and not of him).

Tom Cruise needs to come out. Masculine guys. Everyday guys. Christian Bale. Matt Damon. Whoever. When Clay Aiken or Lance Bass comes out people sort of yawn and say - "didn't he already come out?" -- and these guys just reinforce gay stereotypes.

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have had same-sex attractions. Although I have never had sex with men, I am attracted to those cute guys with nice bodies and flat ass. Sexy !!!

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Tom Cruise needs to come out. Masculine guys. Everyday guys. Christian Bale. Matt Damon. Whoever. When Clay Aiken or Lance Bass comes out people sort of yawn and say - "didn't he already come out?" -- and these guys just reinforce gay stereotypes.

For that matter, Richard Simmons isn't "officially out" either. Think of how good it would be for the acceptance of gays if he were to finally come out of the closet. :tongue:

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have had same-sex attractions. Although I have never had sex with men, I am attracted to those cute guys with nice bodies and flat ass. Sexy !!!

Flat asses? That's interesting. You rarely hear that from anyone.

If you're comfortable telling us (or me in private), what is it about flat butts that you like better than fat, juicy bubble-butts? :booty:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MisterMark: You're absolutely right. I do feel some discomfort with effeminate gay men I suppose. Not so much in real life (when I get to know somebody it no longer makes a difference) -- but in terms of public figures coming out.... Clay Aiken is a fairly lispy effeminate guy and (I think) a stereotypical "gay" singer... I kinda wished he stayed in the closet (yes, I know this is a reflection of me and not of him).
Tom Cruise needs to come out.
I've heard many of my gay friends IRL say this as well. Why? How does his coming out benefit you or the gay cause?
Masculine guys. Everyday guys. Christian Bale. Matt Damon. Whoever. When Clay Aiken or Lance Bass comes out people sort of yawn and say - "didn't he already come out?" -- and these guys just reinforce gay stereotypes.
I'm confused, it's okay to be a gay celebrity as long as you don't sing or dance? :confused:

An observation - significant or not?
Out of the 12 who said that homosexuality is "accepted by most of society":
7 are straight or mostly straight
3 are gay or mostly gay

(the other 2 had no info in their profiles)
Two possible conclusions:
1. A lot of gays are paranoid and overestimate the amount of antigay sentiment in society.

2. A lot of straights are naive and underestimate the amount of antigay sentiment in society.
Which is the truth? Or are both true?
I think both conclusions are true. It's kind of like how everyone but black people are surprised everytime there is a racial crime committed that ends in death.

I am straight and have gay friends, yet I probably underestimate the amount of gay bashing that goes on in todays society.

Note: I would have liked the opportunity for multiple choice on the poll.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I put "Perfectly natural".

There were two others that I "could have" chosen but didn't because of technicalities...

"Acceptable to most of society" - It isn't but it should be acceptable. Unfortunately most of society is narrow-minded and homophobic.

"I would be happy with a gay son or daughter" - This one really is a technicality for me. I didn't select this one because I wouldn't be happy to have a son or daughter, whether they were gay, straight or bi! I have simply never wanted children, period. But if I did want/have kids I'd be ok with them being gay but I'd be concerned with them growing up in a society as narrow minded as much of ours is (see above paragraph...)