your thoughts on the "Jena Six"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by galaxus, Sep 23, 2007.

1. galaxus

galaxus Member

i don't have a TV up in my dorm so i don't know every little detail about it.
    but i know all my friends are outraged by whats happening.

so your thoughts.

2. DGirl

Gold Member

?

What are your friends thoughts?

3. Principessa

Gold Member

It seems most of us are angry at how poorly the school and other authorities handled this. IMHO it should never have been allowed to get to court let alone this far.

Read this thread for more info:
    http://www.lpsg.org/62917-jena-6-case-history-written-3.html

There are of course a few racists here who show their true colors when cases like this come up. There are also many people on this site who live in other countries and have little to no knowledge of the American judicial system or the strong influence that skin color and racism still have in our everyday culture. I'm sure they think this case is archaic and barbaric and sadly they are right.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Sorry, double post. Please delete.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

One thing has changed in our world for the better. When people ban together and use their freedom of speech justice will be done. :smile:

6. Act2_Begins_Now

Act2_Begins_Now New Member

My life has been so busy, I just heard about this with the $10,000 donation from David Bowie. Since that time I have read two articles that were on yahoo and an article that was in my local newspaper that recapped the beginning to now. So with that little history, my thoughts are ...

That you cannot compare nooses being hung on a tree to six people attacking one. And when you do, I think it shows ignorance and desparation.

7. Osiris

Gold Member

All I can say is that everybody made mistakes, caused hurt, and are perpetuating a cycle of racism and hatred. The white kid's racially antagonized the black kids by hanging nooses in a tree they would hang out under. The white kids got let off the further supporting racism. Black kids were angry and beat down a kid that was "involved" in the noose incident. Kid went to hospital and was released and at a party the same night. The 6 young black men (AKA the Jena 6) were charged with attempted murder for the beatdown.

Charges were dismissed against 5 of the 6, but one remains in jail months after the crime still charged with attempted murder and there doesn't seem to be a reason for his kid to still be charged with such a major charge for what basically is equating to a fight where someone got beat up, but not in a life threatening manner. Others have called for a review of this matter by Governor Blanco. This lead to Al Sharpton organizing the march on Jena to call greater attention to this.

The Aftermath:

The night families were waiting on transport to leave and go home, two young men were arrested for hanging nooses from their pickup, carrying concealed weapons and yelling racial slurs. The youngest of the men claimed Aryan Nation ties.

The addresses and phone numbers of the Jena 6 were posted to an Aryan Nation web site that called for "the lynching" of these boys and their families. Several of the families have reported harrassing calls laced with racial epithets. Jesse Jackson is calling on Governor Blanco to provide protection for these families. Governor Blanco's response is to launch an investigation.

And that's the story up to now.

I admit it, I watch too much news and read too many papers.

8. DGirl

Gold Member

:eek:

How are we going to have our men and women fight a war in one country when we can't even get along in our own?

9. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    And you, DGirl, win the thread!

10. Principessa

Gold Member

DGirl, you can't go around speaking sensibly like that. :redface: Someone might hear you.:tongue:

11. Osiris

Gold Member

That is probably the most astute observation I have heard since 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted