Your Top 5 Groups Of All Time!

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My first thoughts are the classics like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who and the Rolling Stones.

Then there are bands like Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Police, Queen, Black Sabbath, Chicago, Genesis, Journey, R.E.M. and Hall and Oates who churned out killer song after killer song. All of these bands spanned atleast two decades.

Then you have the modern bands like Pearl Jam, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tool, Stone Temple Pilots, The Foo Fighters, The Beastie Boys etc. who have had numerous hits and still sell out arenas.

I don't wanna dismiss them with my little top five favorite band list.

1). The Legendary Miles Davis Quintet 1965-1968 (Miles, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Tony Williams)

Probably the best group of musicians that ever played together.

2). The Weather Report Classic Line-Up (Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius, Wayne Shorter, Alex Acuna and Manuel Badreno)

They changed the world with their blend of world music, rock, funk and jazz to refine the musical concept the world would later know as jazz/fusion.

3). Herbie Hancock's Headhunters (Bill Summers, Herbie, Wayne Shorter, Paul Jackson and Mike Clark)

Their album Thrust is one of the most intense musical tour de forces that jazz has ever unleashed.

4). The Ornette Coleman Quartet (Ornette, Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, and Billy Higgins)

The breakthrough album "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" was like Stravinsky's" Rite of Spring" when it came to provoking discussion and breaking boundaries in the realm of jazz. Older more traditional musicians bemoaned the ridiculous tempos, chord changes and the loose harmonic structure that was to define what we would come to cherish as "free jazz". Check out the "Skies of America" to see what improvisation and the "movement of forms" sounds like in an impossibly complex harmoniuc structure.

5). Earth Wind and Fire

The Perfect Band... I don't know what else to say

Honorable mention goes out to The Ohio Players, The Commodores, The Gap Band, The Talking Heads and Parliament/Funkadelic, The JB's and The Isley Brothers

Sorry I left out the metal bands, there are plenty of amazing metal bands.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
  1. Oasis
  2. The Beatles
  3. Radiohead
  4. U2
  5. Depeche Mode
i've seen 3 out of the 5 bands in concert (radiohead, oasis, depeche mode--in that order) and i'm going to see radiohead again in august!!! now if it was possible to get the beatles together again... ahhhh i could die happy.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1. The Chameleons
2. The Cure
3. The Smiths
4. Joy Division
5. Skinny Puppy

#1-4 Brits, #5 Canadian, no American groups. :frown1:

Top favorite American

1. Pixies
2. Ramones
3. Fleetwood Mac (when the 2 Americans joined and they became a Cali band)
4. Weezer
5. Foo Fighters

Last edited:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
U2
Beach Boys
Springsteen & E-Street Band
Journey
Police

Others:
Smashing Pumpkins
Steely Dan
Van Halen
Tool
Godsmack
Jethro Tull
Cheap Trick
REM
Offspring (prefer them to Green Day, but GD is fine too)
Loverboy
Bush
Fixx
Guns & Roses
Bon Jovi
Firehouse
ELO
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Duran Duran
Creed
Bush
Bad Company
Candlebox
Led Zeppelin
Heart
and many more.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hard to narrow down into a top five. In no particular order though my top list of groups woud have to include The Beatles, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Rush, Enigma, Yes, Deep Forest, The Moody Blues, Parliament, and ELO - based on the number of albums I have (or had) for each of these, compared to all the others. (I know...more than five).

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:rofl:
You and my wife would get on famously!

OK, maybe not.

For me, it's gotta be:

1. New Kids on the Block
2. Menudo
3. N*Sync
4. Spice Girls
5. Engelbert Humperdinck

Yes, I'm aware #5 is not a group...but the awesomeness of Engelbert is such that he needs no group to be more awesome than most entire groups.

So many truths spoken in jest.....:wink: