Your TSA-confiscated items...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
are now on eBay. This is absolutely crazy for so many reasons, but go to ebay dot com, and on the home page, in the search box, type NTSA and click GO.

Also, do a google search for "TSA confiscated auction" (without the quotes) and see what turns up. It's amusing and it's infuriating and it's puzzling.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I stuck all my contraband in my pants pockets, so they never took anything from me the last time I flew. After I went through security, I just put my toothpaste, etc. back into my carry on.

The whole ordeal is one huge fucking joke.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
WTF?!?! Fingernail clippers??? HOW THE HELL are fingernail clippers a threat to national security?

I understand the pocket knives.

I can stretch my mind to understand the cuticle clippers.

I cannot fathom how someone would use a fingernail clipper as a weapon.

Now that i'm down ranting about finger-nail clippers: WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT to sell this stuff? It's not as though you can stop by on your return trip and pick up your confiscated property. They don't appear to be holding your property and allowing you a specified amount of time to reclaim it before they auction it off. What's next? Diamond earings? Ruby cufflinks? This smacks of scam!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also find it very offensive that they give you the "relinquish these items or you won't fly" ultimatum, then they turn around and sell it. You have to dig a little deeper than the front page at eBay, but they also auction off other things, too... like faux-fur-lined sex-play handcuffs that have been confiscated.

But getting back to the eBay thing... what I found so strikingly bizarre is the way they are selling them. I guess it is the only way (considering what we are talking about here) to do it logically, but who the fuck wants to buy a "10-pound bag" of used fingernail clippers? Or a 20-pound bag of embroidery scissors?

On another site, one of the complaints I saw was from a guy saying he didn't want the little pocket knife he accidentally brought to the airport, to end up with his fingerprints at a crime scene. A little bit "out there", but who knows? Some nut out there probably WOULD buy a "bag-o-pocket-knives" and use them that way, just to vex police.

The whole thing is ludicrous. There are several ways they could deal with "contraband" items. Stealing small $5 - $10 items from passengers, then auctioning of those items is just wrong for so many reasons.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
If you have a butane lighter in your backpack or carry on the x-ray machine will pick it up and it will be confiscated.

However, if it's in your pocket - no problem.:tongue:

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Talk about crazy!!!

I wonder... I recently came back from doing a lecture at South Dakota State University. I was unaware that inhalers had to be "packaged" like other items (in the clear ziploc bags). I was 'randomly selected' for search; they found my inhaler and asked me why it was not properly packaged. I explained I did not know it had to be. To be honest, the people were not the friendliest and needless to say and after our 'dialogue,' they informed me they would be keeping the inhaler - which they did. ha--- maybe it will be on ebay! (joking about the ebay statement) Regardless, though, I do think this is all a little ridiculous.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have to be an informed consumer of the travel industry's product. The list of permitted/prohibited items on TSA's website changes at least weekly. It is in your best interest to read the list each time before you travel.

It is also in your best interest to know what your rights are. If those agents were not behaving in a professional, traveller-centered manner, you are within your rights to speak to a supervisor. If the supervisor is also not behaving professionally, you have a right to file a complaint with the TSA, including the name and badge numbers of any offending screeners or supervisors. I have had occasion to file 6 such complaints, plus an additional two complaints for the way TSA handled my primary complaints. I forwarded all the correspondence to my congressmen and senators, and let them know that I was not happy with my tax dollars going to pay the salaries of pompous jerks who are NOT making air travel safe, but simply harrassing passengers unduly. Just because they wear a badge, that does NOT give them the right to treat you like a prisoner.

By the way, 3 of those original 6 complaints were over a TSA screener just grabbing my bag and walking away, without saying anything at all to me. One of those times, I called out to the guy and told him he was NOT allowed to leave with my bag. He ignored me, so I went after him, and another agent grabbed me (a bit roughly, I might add.) You do have the right to be treated with respect. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
By the way, 3 of those original 6 complaints were over a TSA screener just grabbing my bag and walking away, without saying anything at all to me. One of those times, I called out to the guy and told him he was NOT allowed to leave with my bag. He ignored me, so I went after him, and another agent grabbed me (a bit roughly, I might add.) You do have the right to be treated with respect. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

It would have been worth going to jail for busting their nose and kicking the shit out of at least one of them.

Thats downright assault and robbery.

Thank god I don't fly. I'd end up killing people before even getting on the plane.

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
YourAvgGuy said:
Talk about crazy!!!

I wonder... I recently came back from doing a lecture at South Dakota State University. I was unaware that inhalers had to be "packaged" like other items (in the clear ziploc bags). I was 'randomly selected' for search; they found my inhaler and asked me why it was not properly packaged. I explained I did not know it had to be. To be honest, the people were not the friendliest and needless to say and after our 'dialogue,' they informed me they would be keeping the inhaler - which they did. ha--- maybe it will be on ebay! (joking about the ebay statement) Regardless, though, I do think this is all a little ridiculous.

That really worries me that they confiscated your inhaler. What if you had an asthma attack on the plane and could not recover from your bronchospasm? People have died from that - it's called Status Asthmaticus. They wouldn't be too happy if that happened, now would they? Multi-million dollar wrongful death suit written all over that!

They are not taking diabetic's insulin! Just because you weren't informed about proper packaging doesn't mean they should be able to take a medication. Did you talk to a manager? Were they even receptive to that?

Sugar

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
joyboytoy79 said:
WTF?!?! Fingernail clippers??? HOW THE HELL are fingernail clippers a threat to national security?

I understand the pocket knives.

I can stretch my mind to understand the cuticle clippers.

I cannot fathom how someone would use a fingernail clipper as a weapon.

Fingernail clippers! The last time I was in Guatemala (2 years ago btw) they confiscated extra plastic ties that one of the physicians had - you know, the kind that you use to lock trunks. They are only about 3 inches long if that! What is a person going to do with those - tie someone's fingers together :confused:

Sugar

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can someone please tell me what TSA stands for?

I have never known a Nation like yours for shortening anything and everything to initials :biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
wi_sugargrl said:
They are not taking diabetic's insulin! Just because you weren't informed about proper packaging doesn't mean they should be able to take a medication. Did you talk to a manager? Were they even receptive to that?

Sugar
Yes, Sugar, they do if it is not properly "prepared for inspection." You bet they do. You really really really should take the time to read through their website.

**edit: I just checked the TSA website again. Big surprise, they have changed it again. There is no specific mention of insulin in this context. It simply says that all medications must have the original printed label affixed, and must show the provider's name and the type of medication, and the name on the label must match the passenger's name on the ticket. Most diabetics I know get their insulin several bottles at a time; the vial itself does not have the patient's name, it is on the box that the vial comes in. The syringes likewise. So I guess that you have to bring your whole big bag of 100 syringes, and a new, unopened box of insulin. Very cumbersome.

BuddyBoy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
Yes, Sugar, they do if it is not properly "prepared for inspection." You bet they do. You really really really should take the time to read through their website.

**edit: I just checked the TSA website again. Big surprise, they have changed it again. There is no specific mention of insulin in this context. It simply says that all medications must have the original printed label affixed, and must show the provider's name and the type of medication, and the name on the label must match the passenger's name on the ticket. Most diabetics I know get their insulin several bottles at a time; the vial itself does not have the patient's name, it is on the box that the vial comes in. The syringes likewise. So I guess that you have to bring your whole big bag of 100 syringes, and a new, unopened box of insulin. Very cumbersome.
In Canada insulin is an OTC product and as such has no name on it. I also take my medications in a small pill box - my prescription bottles are 90-day quantities and there..is..no..WAY I'm finding room for those huge bottles in my luggage.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BuddyBoy said:
In Canada insulin is an OTC product and as such has no name on it. I also take my medications in a small pill box - my prescription bottles are 90-day quantities and there..is..no..WAY I'm finding room for those huge bottles in my luggage.
Insulin is OTC in Canada?!?!? That is amazing. Oh well, if you ever fly anywhere in the USA, just be prepared when you make your return flight. Apparently, the laws are very different.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The TSA confiscated my sense of humor 3 weeks ago. I am left only with bad puns and memories of cold, steel objects....

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Insulin is OTC in Canada?!?!? That is amazing. Oh well, if you ever fly anywhere in the USA, just be prepared when you make your return flight. Apparently, the laws are very different.

It seems Canada is less inclined to rob her own people than her neighbor to the south. People don't have to go to the doctor for things they know they need, and when they DO get prescriptions, they don't have to take out a bank loan to get them filled. Colder climates are looking better all the time.

I've now witnessed three shootings and been the recipient of a robbery myself in the last six months- I think my likelihood of survival might be better there as well. This place is really sucking balls anymore.