You're pissing me off Mr. President

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Notaguru2, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Mr. President, I voted for change. I voted for healthcare reform. I voted for making right everything that is wrong with the homeland. At this very moment your Presidency is to be defined, you sir, are acting like a Senator.

You're caving on the "public option"; the only way to drive down private healthcare costs. Where did your spine go? Where is the man I was enamored by 6 months ago? You were supposed to rescue us from uncontrollably rising healthcare expenses.

This is your time. You are President. You have a shot at greatness like no President before you in the last 50 years. It is time for you to lead! If you really believe what you campaigned for, you shouldn't be moved by a few lobbyists shouting Sentors down in town halls. Look in the camera, and tell the people you are going to deliver what you promised.

You have the House. You have the Senate. You have the 70M Americans that put you in office. Now, man up and fucking deliver.

2. cruztbone

Gold Member

That is NOT what the president said. He is NOT caving . He IS trying to get people to understand why the insurance industry cant police itself, and why there must be options to keep insurance giants under the scrutiny of the public. HE expressed himself perfectly in 3 excellent town halls, all broadcast LIVE on CNN and CSpan last week. He is delivering the kind of reform we voted for. NOW it is up to US to lobby congress by email to get THEM to deliver! that is what i am doing, along with thousands of others. YOUR TURN!

3. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, he is, more or less, caving. He's giving up on the public option because of pressure from Republicans and conservative Democrats. I'm extremely disappointed in him for doing this, but I'm not denying he's doing it.

4. cruztbone

Gold Member

He is neither Caving or changing his plan. But he does have to get 60 votes in the senate to close off debate, and then 51 votes to get it passed. Not all Dems are on board; no repugnantcans are on board. what does that mean? It means if you want the public option, which is about 20% of what his plan is about, you have to citizen lobby for it. that means you email your congressman or woman and your US senators. this is the same way we got medicare and medicaid in the mid-1960's. the difference is we did not have the internet, making it easier than EVER to let congress know how you feel. And yes, if you are a citizen of this nation, it is your responsibility to let them know how you feel. I do, al least 3-4 times per week. it takes me a few minutes on my home computer. and yes, i do get responses. sometimes i get phone calls from Sam Farr, my local congressman. i attended his town meeting last week. the demonstrators with Obama pictured as Hitler were laughed at and ridiculed. it was great fun and true democracy at its purest. We are THEIR BOSS; they are not OUR BOSS.

5. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Talking out of their asses to please the masses is what politics is all about. They always say a bunch of great things to keep you happy and voting for their party, they know in the end they cant do it all.

Its almost always disappointing once a new president comes in, he never does what he promised when he was traveling about shaking hands and eating pancakes with the townfolk.

6. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Of course he is caving. He is a weak little bitch with zero leadership experience and has absolutely no clue what he is doing. The Democrats blew it big time in not nominating Hillary Clinton. Instead, they opted for a silver-tounged manipulator who is proven he can do one thing well, and that is read off a teleprompter. Obama is done. Liberalism is going to have to wait for its next president.

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend to agree with the OP. Obama is being far too much of a pussy with the obstructionist assholes on both sides of the aisle.

Newsflash for big business: the government does not exist to protect your business model. Insurers won't be able to compete with a government plan? Tough fucking titty, Cigna. Laws exist to serve the people's interests, not ensure that your profits flow uninterrupted. This bullshit that appears to be going on between PhRMA and the White House would get anyone else who tried it indicted for collusion and price-fixing.

Quite frankly, the use of profit-based business models in literal life-and-death matters is utterly insane. The entire industry should be dismantled and replaced with a 100% subsidized preventive-care system, augmented by a mandatory HSA contribution into a national pool for catastrophic care. At the very least, the existing health insurance infrastructure should be converted to a not-for-profit model.

The fact of the matter is that as long as politicians can make a career out of being in office, they will always place their own re-election ahead of all other concerns...and as long as money is what wins elections, they will always be in the pockets of monied interests, and NOTHING will change.

Term limits, people.

In the meantime, Mr. President, stop pussyfooting around with these assholes whose only interest is derailing any effort to change the status quo. Tell them to get on board or get run the fuck over.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Bingo.

In a checks and balances system, it can't be that simple.
    You know that.

9. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Yeah, it's sad that that's what it's come to. If I could, I'd love to change that. If I were to run for any office, I'd be pure independent; No hand shall be above my plate than those of the people, and those they have elected to be above me. If I can't win an election by appealing to the whole of the people, rather than a group that always goes one way, I shouldn't be the elected representative of those people.

Personally I think a representative should be exactly that; one voice which speaks for the many who chose him to do so. Communication is so important to this function that it is hard to fathom. I believe that no representative should be able to take a position in a vote that is not directly in line with the attitude of the people he is representing. If he thinks that the people are taking a bad stance, and that agreeing is a better choice of options, it is his job to liaise between the government and the people in an effort to convince them to change, so the vote may be lodged in favor. I think that the people should be in control of any compensation a representative receives; If he is representing his populace accurately, and is doing overall well at his job as their voice in government, they will approve of him and can be given the option to recommend higher pay or lower pay; specific value of current pay is shown and a scale is chosen that ranges between lower pay, same pay, and raise pay. Apply changes monthly to prevent it from being a hassle to run the system, and make it secure enough that it can't be forcibly altered without some evidence of the change occurring.

Sure, it's vulnerable to people who just hate politicians, but hey, monetary gain should never be a factor for a representative wanting to be elected, it should be a factor based on his performance at his appointed position. If he's doing a really good job, I doubt the people who hate normal politicians would be too harsh.

10. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Anybody notice he also totally lied about Iraq, illegal wiretapping, torture, etc?

He's a puppet. A fucking tool. Just like W. And he is going to act just like W. Because they are both ruled by the same people.

pfft. Clinton, McCain, Palin, they would all have the marionette string around their wrists in 10 second flat as well.

Clinton and Obama had a secret meeting as it was. They are in the same group.

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

The system is set up with checks and balances, sure...but Obama has (or had) the numbers behind him to force the issue. A great leader knows when to build a consensus and when to tell everyone to step into line, and so far he's disappointing the hell out of me.

12. lucky8

Gold Member

the people are starting to awaken...

rebellion is the only answer

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm actually surprised that a lot of moves haven't been made. Obama's need to be "bipartisan" may eventually lead to his downfall. But perhaps this is all part of the plan to begin with? If anything, the American People are really getting a sense as to how broken and corrupt people in our Government can be. And they're starting to get riled up and protest.

But let's see where this all leads. We still got 3+ years to go.

14. lucky8

Gold Member

And that's how they get away with it...

15. sargon20

Gold Member

Term limits will only mean one thing. As soon as they get the job they will use that job to campaign for a better job in private industry after the term is up. Worst it could become a quid pro quo. There will be no incentive to do a good job or work for the people because guess what? You're fired anyway.

Of course it should be dismantled but that would not make Wall Street happy. And if anybody doesn't know it now they should. Wall Street runs this country. The people are just by-standers. Money has ruined democracy.

And with so many Americans saying they are happy with their insurance obviously excluding the millions who don't have health insurance you run a big huge risk of scaring people because they don't really know what they are going to get. FUD - fear, uncertainty and doubt has awesome power...awesome. And you still have a very weakened but very loud right wing noise machine that is very very good at instilling fear. It's their main product. It's worked for 30 years now and hasn't yet stopped working yet.

#15 sargon20, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Patience is a virtue, my friend.
    Imagine how you would feel if you were given a month to do a term paper, and then everyone turned around and pressured you to have it done in a week.

I think many of us are just really eager to see something happen. For me, I've had to wait many years to get many of the things that I want. That's why I'm willing to wait this out and see how it all transpires. I remain confident that something will happen for the better during the next 3 years. But I won't grow impatient.

17. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

i agree with you man! Its like...he's been in office for a grand total of what? 8 months...I mean Rome wasn't built in a day. He's come into a pile of shit taller than the Empire State building that was bequithed to him by G.W., and people expect him to turn the economy/country/world around in a matter of months? Come on people, give the guy a break.

Now...if 2 and a half years go by and we're still in the shitter as bad as we are today, and very little has been done (or succeded) in over 3 years....I 'll be bitching along with (aparantly) many other Americans.

18. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well that's really plan isn't it?

If he says things that have influence in other countries, the Iran election for example, then he's "meddling" but if he is careful in commenting on the events that followed he's "lacking leadership and soft".

If he comments on something like the Gates affair, he shouldn't have, but when he tries to mend hurt feelings over his frankness he's "got no backbone".

If he's promoting healthcare reform he's trying to "push through" his program, but if he agrees to a compromise solution he's "caving".

For his opponents (those who'd love to see him fail), he can do no right. His primary weakness, believing that bipartisanship and compromise was anyway near possible in the first place.

The plain fact is he probably should satisfy the will of those who put him in office and FUCK those who he'll never satisfy, regardless.

#18 b.c., Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  19. lucky8

Gold Member

I agree this process shouldn't be rushed. Honestly, I think they just need to pass a bill giving the authority for reform, then spend the next 3 years coming up with a viable plan that hasn't been rushed or paid for.

But if I had to do that term paper in a week, I'd sacfrice 1 week of my life to complete it, and get an A.

...afterall, it's only 7 days out of my entire life...(that's how I approach every challenging task I face...I suck it up, and I do it, well.)

20. Torque8

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Let's just HOPE he CHANGES.

Draft saved Draft deleted