Yours truly being accused of thinking about doing something violent

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
MattBrick said:
I didn't even read your post this time, lol
Not past the first couple of lines anyway.
Why are you always having these dramatic moments in school?
Not that I don't have sympathy or anything, but....
You have to be there anyway, can;t you just behave and make your time there a little more pleasant for yourself :)
Yes, I suppose I could, but that is not my nature. If something rubs me the wrong way I talk about it, if someone does something to me, or that effects me, and I dont like it I will take a stand. Sure it's just highschool, just 4 years, but I have my beliefs and I dont care if its a teacher, the principal or the president of the united fucking states I will take my stand. And as a Highschool student I'm fairly confident I will lose every single battle I fight in highschool. I mean seriously, the school can do no wrong, the community will continue to support them aslong as they keep bringing the football trophies home(seeing as how that is the most important thing to ths community)... So its unlikely a darkhorse like me will persuade these people to seeing the world in its entirity... Most ppl in this town will never leave it, and aslong as the highschool is winning football games they dont want to... Gotta be part of the winning team!

GO TEAM! Hurah! Hurah!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
mephistopheles said:
Yes, I suppose I could, but that is not my nature. If something rubs me the wrong way I talk about it, if someone does something to me, or that effects me, and I dont like it I will take a stand. Sure it's just highschool, just 4 years, but I have my beliefs and I dont care if its a teacher, the principal or the president of the united fucking states I will take my stand. And as a Highschool student I'm fairly confident I will lose every single battle I fight in highschool.

I usually stay out of these discussions, because in the back of my mind, I'm hardwired to think my basic position is somehow a jerk's.
But that position is: What's really the point of all your struggle? I don't see any point.
You acknowledge you can't get anywhere with it.
Your struggle is going to drain your energy and divert your attention from things you really want to do for their own sake ... and not just as a reaction to what others have done.
You will probably increase rather than reduce the repressive nature of the forces above you. (Maybe I'm full of shit, here ... but I think that's what often happens.)
And all for what?
I think, personally, you need to develop more capacity to choose your battles.
There's something knee-jerk in your response, imho. (I hope I don't offend you ... I certainly don't want to.)
All that said, it would be too bad if everyone always played dead, or always conformed, or always took to heart the notion that the protruding nail gets hammered down.
So we need to find some balance between intelligent self-assertion and going with the flow.
And personally, Mephistopheles, I don't think you've found a point of balance that really serves you.
That's my (perhaps jerkish) opinion.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can understand your point... I did not care for the censorship at my high school. If they did not like the subject upon which you chose to write you generally got a failing grade (with the exception of one English teacher.) However, from a strictly “cover your ass” mentality I can understand their problem. I have no doubt that you have no intention of showing up at school with guns and doing a massacre, but it is easier for them to ban violent writing that to explain after a school shooting that they believed it to just be fiction.

If you do not mind my asking what was the story about?

For myself, I did not really fit in through high school, and did write the occasional violent story, but it was before Columbine, and Taber, and Lancaster and... I hate to say do not write what you want to, but perhaps write what inspires you for yourself and submit only those essays and short stories that you know are going to meet with their approval. It is sad, but if you are truly preparing yourself for college you might as well get used to the idea that colleges and universities are not the free thinking places that they are often made out to be. Take Political history and then write an essay from a point of view that you know does not correspond with your instructors views and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I actually had an assignment once, where I was ASSIGNED to write something emulating Edgar Allen Poe. This was in my Creative Writing class in high school. This was also way before Columbine ever happened. Anyway, long story short, my story was apparently just a little *too* disturbing. They called a parent/teacher conference and were recommending to my parents that they have me committed. Which I kind of took as a compliment. Fortunately for me my parents are pretty understanding.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here's a pertinent question for everyone: What is the purpose of going to school? Let me knock two misperceptions out of the way from the start.

If the goal is simply to download a bucket o' knowledge and facts into our little brainpans, that's what libraries are for.

If the goal is to prepare you for a career, apprenticeships would still be the norm for any chosen profession.

So, what does that leave? If school is redundant for learning facts, and redundant for learning trade skills, what purpose does K - 12 (and to a lesser degree, college) serve?

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The story was called "Horrowshow" and is a first person narrative of an Angel sent to teach people not to worship false idols... Such as a mall, or athletes(because at this point athletes are treated almost as messiahs) or a certain type of music or musical group.

That's the basic idea of it. And though I am not christian it is taken from a more or less christian viewpoint... You know the first commandment "You shall have no other gods before me/You shall have no other gods before me." And the Angel is sent to punish them for doing so.

Maybe a weak moral but i liked the idea at the time.

And I'l have no censoreship in my work. Last year I wrote a five person play for theatre II and was told to change my dialogue, because i used words like ass, damn, or hell... nothing too bad but they didnt want it either way. So I pulled a Jim Morrson and told them I would change it, and when we performed we didnt change a single line. I got in trouble sure, but it was worth it(imo).

And some of you are tellig me to pick my battles but when I was tlakng to the principal he wasnt civil about it, infact he told me if he saw something like this ever again from me he would kick me out of school forever. Those were his exact words, and lets just say he said them in a very uncivil manor, like someone would tlak about beating someone up, or something.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Again, you have to remember--high school is a totalitarian state--there IS no compromise, or consideration, from the administration towards students, because they don't HAVE to be reasonable. The state has given them ultimate authority, up to the point of physical abuse. If they don't touch you, they can do what they want. Don't like it? Tough--they tell you to leave. You are a student, and therefore have ZERO rights--only responsibilities. It sucks. It isn't fair. It isn't right. But until enough people who HAVE the right to change it give half a damn, that's the way it is. And because those that CAN change it don;t have to suffer for it, they likely WON'T change it. I think that's the main point most are trying to make about picking your battles. Unless there is something like physical or sexual abuse going on (sexual abuse being a subset of physical abuse), yo are better served by waiting until you are in an enviroment where what you say and do cna and will have a real impact on the system. As much as it hurts to do so, ultimately, given how much time you have left, and the risk of pushing too many buttons with no positive outcome for you or anybody else, this is one time where it pays to just bite your tongue, and ride out the rest of the stupidity. It won't be too much longer until college, then your talents and opinions will be more likely to be accepted--although the same battles will ensue. Hang in there!

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mephistopheles said:
The story was called "Horrowshow" and is a first person narrative of an Angel sent to teach people not to worship false idols... Such as a mall, or athletes(because at this point athletes are treated almost as messiahs)

Jesus Christ, you think you got a grudge against athletes? You know we're all not treated like idols, and 99% of us do it for love of the game. Don't hate on people just because they play a sport.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe you should write for your audience instead of school. In school, give them: Thoreau, Yeats, Shakespeare, or whatever they deem is schoolworthy.
Save your best material for people interested in paying for your artistic expressions.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
LINittanyLion said:
Jesus Christ, you think you got a grudge against athletes? You know we're all not treated like idols, and 99% of us do it for love of the game. Don't hate on people just because they play a sport.
First of all, don't fucking judge me.

Secondly, the story isnt based on athletes now is it? It based on the false idols of todays society... And seeing as how they can do all sorts of illegal stuff and get away with it, just becuase they play a sport, gives them more power than the rest of us eh? Like an Idol.

A few weeks ago a 17 year old boy was caught driving drunk, did he get a dui and some time? or community service? No, actually his punishment was to miss one football game... one single solitary game and all was gone and forgotten. If it were me driving drunk they would have thrown the fucking book at me. So don't tell me athletes arent like idols, they sure as fuck have a lot more power than anyone else (and movie stars are the same way.)

I don't hate people because they play sports either. My life is mine and yours is your, don't fuck with me and they wont be the same. I dont give half a fuck what anyone does besides me does, whether its sports, murder, suicide, tap dancing, or praying to a golden fucking frog.

You could call this story a satire of todays society. Also, in this story there is nothing mentioned of football players, or athletes, only the fact that one man is watching a football game... other than tht it has nothing to do with it.

Have you ever read A Clockwork Orange? Anthony Burgess didnt make Alex beat the hell out of homeless people and the innocent becuase he hated the innocent. And Bret Eston Ellis didnt have Ptrick Bateman kill people that he disliked. It's a character, sometimes a reflection of the persons personality, but not in my case. Its all for the sake of character developement

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pecker said:
Um... what's a Horrow?

Cerainly you've heard of the old farm implement, the Horrow..:rolleyes: . Used when the cornfields are haunted. Made appearences in such "memorable" movies as Children of the Corn, Field of Dreams, etc. :biggrin1:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
davidjh7 said:
Cerainly you've heard of the old farm implement, the Horrow..:rolleyes: . Used when the cornfields are haunted. Made appearences in such "memorable" movies as Children of the Corn, Field of Dreams, etc. :biggrin1:
Pat Boyette's highly stylised low-budget movie Dungeon of Harrow is actually one of the most haunting gothic Eastmancolor eulogies to death by plague and/or insanity. :rolleyes:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0055940/

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think it is an interesting premise. Rather than punishing the athletes and movie stars I would assume that the angel was ticked with those who worship them?

On a side note I cannot believe how many teachers, administrators, principals and educators in general grace this site. Too bad I was not here years ago to get some help with my homework (and apparently, the laws and how they relate to schools.:biggrin1: )

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
dolf250 said:
I think it is an interesting premise. Rather than punishing the athletes and movie stars I would assume that the angel was ticked with those who worship them?

On a side note I cannot believe how many teachers, administrators, principals and educators in general grace this site. Too bad I was not here years ago to get some help with my homework (and apparently, the laws and how they relate to schools.:biggrin1: )

Yea, the angels punish those who worship the false idols. I think that would bring it closer to the people that watch so much TV. becuase stuff is always happening to famous ppl and its always so far far away.

dags

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Too Bad you werent the Assistant Principal back when I was in High School Lex....
Maybe I would have had a greater appreciation for school. Nah, seriously doubt that, might have hanged around longer though!

dags

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How did my last post get in this thread, Oops!
Meph, I hear you. I do. Things were the same when I was in school and that was the 80s. Try to make the best of it, once you graduate the small little society of High School Dissolves and does'nt matter anyway. Just concentrate on finishing and plan on the things you want to do afterwords.
Public Schools, Some Churches and alot of other things in our society and culture are ill equiped in dealing with exceptional, gifted, and creative individuals. There are way more ordinary conforming boring people who are clueless.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mephistopheles said:
First of all, don't fucking judge me.

Secondly, the story isnt based on athletes now is it? It based on the false idols of todays society... And seeing as how they can do all sorts of illegal stuff and get away with it, just becuase they play a sport, gives them more power than the rest of us eh? Like an Idol.

A few weeks ago a 17 year old boy was caught driving drunk, did he get a dui and some time? or community service? No, actually his punishment was to miss one football game... one single solitary game and all was gone and forgotten. If it were me driving drunk they would have thrown the fucking book at me. So don't tell me athletes arent like idols, they sure as fuck have a lot more power than anyone else (and movie stars are the same way.)

I don't hate people because they play sports either. My life is mine and yours is your, don't fuck with me and they wont be the same. I dont give half a fuck what anyone does besides me does, whether its sports, murder, suicide, tap dancing, or praying to a golden fucking frog.

You could call this story a satire of todays society. Also, in this story there is nothing mentioned of football players, or athletes, only the fact that one man is watching a football game... other than tht it has nothing to do with it.

Have you ever read A Clockwork Orange? Anthony Burgess didnt make Alex beat the hell out of homeless people and the innocent becuase he hated the innocent. And Bret Eston Ellis didnt have Ptrick Bateman kill people that he disliked. It's a character, sometimes a reflection of the persons personality, but not in my case. Its all for the sake of character developement
First of all, fuck you.

Step down off the glass podium for a second and listen to other people when they speak to you. Your arrogance and ignorance is absolutely stunning. I pointed out your obvious bias towards athletes becuase you made it a point to go after people like myself who do play sports. You get snippy, come back with a rude retort and use an example that has happened to many people. Hate to tell you there buddy, but very often, athletes are the targets of law enforcement for their elevated stature. Not all athletes get away with illegal things. In addition, you use a solitary example of a kid getting away with a DUI infraction when it has happened to many others who have nothing to do with sports. The fact you blatantly left this point out of your argument is further proof of both your jealousy (yes, by now it is very clear) and animosity towards those of us fortunate to play a sport in high school.

Also, did it cross your mind that the person who comitted the infraction was a MINOR? If you haven't noticed, cops tend to be more lenient with minors than they do with adults because many people do stupid things when they are young.

You know, you've been here a very small amount of time, yet blast members who are just bringing up a valid point. Being agressive and confrontational behind the keybord is not honorable, nor does it make you tough. So relax those keyboard muscles, son.

Yes, I have read A Clockwork Orange and many other published arguments and novels as well...such is the life of a college student. But before you get on a high horse, try and belittle people or confront them, it might help to remember that the opinions of others can be taken into consideration...especially on an internet DISCUSSION forum.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here's an irony: LINittanyLion, he posted LITTANY of people and things the angels came to address, why did YOU take it so personal? Do you see musicians or mall-goers complaining?

Actually, in schools where sports are a big deal (like Colerain High School where my daughter went) sports players are DEFINITELY treated like idols- they get passed through classes whether they show up or not. If you're NOT into sports, you are discriminated against in very obvious ways. This might not be happening in your school, but it is certainly NOT an unknown phenomena.

No one's taking a stand against people who play sports, but why on earth would it be unfair to take a shot at the ones who use their "hobby" to elevate themselves above others? You're smarter than this, why did you take a few words out of the context of the whole sentence?