Youth Hostels with Communal Showers

I agree Kex is the best for showers, but the Eurohostel in Helsinki comes a very second close for the sauna.

Reactions: stones7incher

europeandude

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ICELAND is the best country in the world (to me) for communal showers in swimming pools, where everybody has to be nude (it's the law !!)

It is the law in Poland as well, but sometimes nobody respect it. How this law is being respected and controlled in Iceland?

naykko220

Expert Member
Media
Fréjus (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is the law in Poland as well, but sometimes nobody respect it. How this law is being respected and controlled in Iceland?

Everybody follows this rule in Iceland (except a very few prudish silly tourists so don't go to the most famous one, The Blue Lagoon, because almost all local people avoid it) for several reasons. First of all, I'd say that Iceland, as an isolated island with almost no tourists for long time until recently, has preserved a certain way of live. Every Icelandic boy grows up with this rule of being naked each time there's a shower in public swimming pools. It's a very natural thing. It's so beautiful to see the total lack of prudery / modesty among boys and men of all ages who respect the tradition. Also because they all know water has (little ? or) no chlorine (germ killer) in the pool, so they all understand how important it is to be totally clean before entering the water.
What's more, going to the swimming pool in Iceland is as popular as having a beer with friends each time one's go out of work at the end of the day.
Just go to any swimming pools (but avoid The Blue Lagoon) and enjoy !!!!

Totally agree about Iceland. Absolutely nothing prudish about the place. Nudity is fully accepted as part of life when they are visiting the pools and rightly so. The water is so pure and clean, no chemicals at all so that's why they are so strict on being clean when getting in. To be clothed in the shower is considered very rude and ignorant and anyone doing so will be told to strip off or get out . At 2 pools I went to in Reykjavik they had wardens making sure you were naked before showing. These totally open showers also had 2 little cubicles that were covered and some tourists were actually lining up to use them... incredible. So ashamed of their own bodies or scared or others seeing them that they have to hide behind doors. The warden still informed them they had to actually shower naked and leave their shorts outside the shower. Icelandic men grow up surrounded by nudity with their friends and family, It's not considered sexual at all. The pools are a social hang out place from a young age, much like we would go to a pub or movies. Unlike many countries where a changing room would be all private cubicles or full of men fumbling around with towels, Iceland just has guys or all shapes, sizes and ages letting it hang out, like it should be.

Reactions: naykko220

gwat

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems like such a minor thing, but the openness in Iceland towards nudity makes it a considerably better place to be. There is a relaxed atmosphere and more positive way of life. There is no judgement or body shaming. Everyone has seen every body type hundreds of times before. Young people also grow up without fearing ridicule so people grow up with more self confidence. Iceland is the place.

gwat

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stopped at Rest and Fly Stockholm a few weeks ago. Had no idea there were communal showers, but there were half a dozen showers in one room for the men. It was so full on the Sunday morning that gents were waiting outside, watching us shower.

Because the soap dispenser was at my shower head, I had a guy tap me on the shoulder and ask to use some of the soap. Was a good atmosphere and everyone was very friendly.

I didn't get a pic, but these show it quite clearly

Attachments

hectorakito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been in London all week, I stayed at the Generator. Lots of fun watching and showing. I threw my clothes in the common area of the dressing room on floor 0 and walked naked to the shower. Every box had curtains but I left it open and some guys too. Some have erection, others have not. Some would stare at me, others would not even look. I have seen everything but in essence most of the guests are shy and they hide the maximum.

Narvik

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've been in London all week, I stayed at the Generator. Lots of fun watching and showing. I threw my clothes in the common area of the dressing room on floor 0 and walked naked to the shower. Every box had curtains but I left it open and some guys too. Some have erection, others have not. Some would stare at me, others would not even look. I have seen everything but in essence most of the guests are shy and they hide the maximum.
When you saw an erection did you start masturbating or not?

Adam_one

Experimental Member
Media
If I was starting or building a Hostal in addition to the open communal showers, I would have one or more totally private showers with premium features and fixtures for an additional and very profitable extra price.

Reactions: RL_Praha

ballantyne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Jorgensen really isn't much of a dive. The showers are great and Copenhagen is a very nice city, so wouldn't knock it off the list :)

Haha you've convinced me. Staying at Jorgensen first week of July now. Helsinki is off the list. That naked dudes-only sauna sounded awesome but I didn't realize how out of the way Helsinki is from the rest of Europe. Forced me to brush up on my geography.

D

deleted1070917

I host travelers through airbnb in my apartment (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38667). I built a gang shower to accommodate multiple guys showering at once. Occasionally I get an exhibitionist that can clearly be seen enjoying himself through the glass bricks that separate the shower room, living room and my bedroom. I tell guests up front that there is not a lot of privacy and to expect glimpses of casual nudity. I tend to attract guys that are open to experiment.
Where is this located? I want to book. The link won't work.

slipmoisi

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Any tips for Hamburg, besides G1?

The Jugenherberge in Hamburg is really nice (they had tiramisu at breakfast !). They only have male dorms, although with ensuite bathroom (but you can leave the door open and dry naked in te room).

Hamburg has lots of swimming pools where you can shower naked.

Reactions: studentguy22

studentguy22

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Jugenherberge in Hamburg is really nice (they had tiramisu at breakfast !). They only have male dorms, although with ensuite bathroom (but you can leave the door open and dry naked in te room).

Hamburg has lots of swimming pools where you can shower naked.

thank you man. I'll check it out

I stayed in the huge dorm in Kex, I think it was 15 people, maybe more, but it was mixed if I remember correctly. I was there 6 years ago, not long after it opened, so I seem to recall I didn't have much choice. Might be different now.

As for Dublin, I am not aware of any hostels with open showers. I have only stayed in one, The Abraham House, which I'm not even sure still exists. It had no open showers and was en-suit. That was also years ago. There is a generator hostel and the city has some gay saunas, but I've never been to them.