Yves St.Laurent dies at 71

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've heard of the guy before, but honestly never knew him for doing anything.....in any event, May he rest in peace

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OMG! :eek: This is devastating news for the fashion industry as well as his family and friends. He was a stellar designer and merchandiser, always classic yet cutting edge. I had the privilege of meeting him very briefly at an AMFAR AIDS Benefit in the 80's. He was kind and gracious and not at all snobby to this small town Jersey girl. He will be missed.

Here's a brief of his contributions to culture:

During a career that ran from 1957 to 2002, he was largely responsible for changing the way modern women dress, putting them into pants both day and night, into peacoats and safari jackets, into "le smoking" (as the French call a man's tuxedo jacket), and into leopard prints, trench coats and, for a time in the 1970's, peasant-inspired clothing in rich fabrics.

Saint Laurent achieved instant fame in 1958 at the age of 21 when he showed his Trapeze collection, his first for Christian Dior following the master's death. But unlike many overnight sensations, Saint Laurent managed to remain at the top of his profession as fashion changed, from an emphasis on formal, custom-made haute couture to casual sportswear.

For many years after he opened his own couture house in 1962, his collections were eagerly anticipated by fashion enthusiasts, who considered his the final word on that season's style. His influence was at its height during the 1960's and 70's when it was still normal for couturiers to change silhouettes and hemlines drastically every six months.

Originally a maverick and a generator of controversy — in 1968, his suggestion that women wear pants as an everyday uniform was considered revolutionary — Saint Laurent developed into a more conservative designer, a believer in evolution rather than revolution. He often said that all a woman needed to be fashionable was a pair of pants, a sweater and a raincoat. -International Herald Tribune

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IF he never did anything else he could have sat down after he created the fragrance, "Paris". IT has to be the singularly most exquisite fragrance I have ever experienced. There is NOTHING like it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IF he never did anything else he could have sat down after he created the fragrance, "Paris". IT has to be the singularly most exquisite fragrance I have ever experienced. There is NOTHING like it.

I'm a Rive Gauche girl myself. Even with my copious allergies and asthma this remains one of less than a half dozen fragrances I can wear with out sneezing, wheezing, or breaking out in hives.

Launched by the design house of Yves Saint Laurent in 1971, RIVE GAUCHE PERFUME is classified as a sharp, gentle, floral fragrance. This feminine scent possesses a blend of warm woody florals including oakmoss and sandalwood. Accompanied by the scent of gardenia, honeysuckle and magnolia. It is recommended for daytime wear.
May God bless the soul of Yves St. Laurent.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ugh I was saddened to no end when I found out about this.

My best friend and I both have an extensive love for fashion history and have had indepth conversations on how St. Laurent was possibly the most influential designer of the 20th century.

He will definitely be missed and has been missed for some time before his death.