Zachary Quinto is officially out

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
People come out; or stay in the closet; or come out privately to their significant people but make no public announcements; for all sorts of reasons - some quite rational and others irrational reasons.

As a LGBT activist in the 70s I formed the opinion that it was useful for young LGBT individuals to know that respected, famous and/or publically prominent people were also LGBT members. I wished for more sports players, actors, pop stars etc would come out.

About 30% of all teen and young adult suicides are committed by LGBT individuals. Unless positive role models are in evidence and people are making it clear that "it gets better" then this percentage will remain high.

My view on outing someone is quite clear. If someone who is LGBT is publically oppressing, discriminating against or condemning LGBT people then I give them the choice - Either stop your public homophobia (or whatever descrimination) and publically retract or apologise OR I have clear and unrefutable evidence that you are also LGBT and I will make this evidence public.

I have never actually outed someone in this way because each of those confronted has made some reparation (albeit token in some cases) for their public prejudices and I have been content to let them stay in the closet.

As for "knowing all along" that someone was gay - I might have believed, suspected or strongly felt that someone was gay but I have only known if he or she has told me or if he has had sex with me or a close friend. I prefer to say that I have always thought or assumed that X is gay rather than say that I have always known it.

Last edited:

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Caught Zachary Quinto on Tavis Smiley last nite (not literally, lol) discussing Margin Call in which he stars and serves as one of the producers. How refreshing to see a gay guy talking so passionately about a long labor of love and how the "Occupy Wall Street" movement has made the movie even more relevant for a 2011 audience. Can't say that I agree with all his conclusions about the 2008 financial crisis, but he was sincere, articulate and well-informed. (And best of all, not a word about his sexual orientation!) Wish there were a lot less Real World and A-list gays filling the airwaves and more Coopers and Quintos.

Here'a a vid of Quinto's interview .....

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...-tavis-smiley-video/politics/2011/10/21/28978

And if you're interested, a Margin Call review .....

'Margin Call' review: Clinical approach pays off

Last edited:

rleep

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He never talks about his personal life. When people ask him if he's gay he just avoids the question. Even though most people assume that he is.

Straight men don't avoid the question. They answer it straight on. There's an answer before the coming out.

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Or, here's a thought. Maybe he doesn't answer because it isn't of anyone else's G** d*** business. His sexual orientation is of no consequence to anyone except whomever he is lying next to at a given moment. For the overwhelming majority of people in the world, our only relationship with Anderson Cooper is one of journalist and viewer and within the narrow parameters of that relationship his sexual orientation is of no importance. I don't care what Mr. Anderson does with his naughty bits (as long as he doesn't break the law) as long as he tells me what is going on in Libya.
I agree that gay youths need to know that gay men and women can be well-regarded people in respectable positions in society, but the message I think gay youths might take away from many of these celebrity outings is that you deny your homosexuality (or avoid the issue altogether) until either the world is confronted with undeniable proof of your homosexuality and you are forcefully outed against your will, or there is so much talk of your sexual orientation that you HAVE to say something just to stop all the noise. I don't think this is the way for anyone to live. Mr. Quinto, to his credit, I think, divulged is homosexuality precisely because he wanted to show kids who might be thinking of killing themselves that they are not alone and they can make their way in the world and achieve success, which is a laudable goal, I think. I just cannot stand the fact that we have become so obsessed with what many, including myself, would consider to be a very private and personal part of one's life that we force people to tell us which "side" they are on so we can know where they stand on this issue (are you "us" or "them"?). I hope that as homosexuals obtain greater and greater rights they will also obtain greater and greater respect to the point where one day (soon) we won't be spending so much time preoccupied with the private lives of others because there won't be any legal, political, or social distinctions between heterosexuals and homosexuals.

I agree with part of your post ---- but here's some info to consider:

In our world of "stars" TV, movie, musical, literary, sports, etc. we are a society obsessed with "what's up?" We want to know who's dating who; who is sick; who's on drugs and in rehab; who's had a baby; who's gotten divorced or married; who's lost weight; etc. We are not simply JUST interested in their next project or the quality of their performance in their field. Since the world is predominantly heterosexual -- it is assumed unless otherwise spoken. It's pretty obvious that for gay stars, -- dating, divorce, marriage, babies would become pretty much a difficult field to probe. As in the real world, grandma gets suspicious when a good looking man of 35 has "never been married" or lives with a room-mate! All that "protecting of identity" when the paparazzi probe must get really really tiring! And then there's the "fear" of discovery.

Since heterosexuals don't have to "define" themselves to get by in life because of assumption, I'm afraid gay people HAVE to make it perfectly clear who we are. If you're famous, I'm afraid your life (and it would seem all aspects of it) is everybody's business like it or not. THAT is one of the prices of fame. If you want to be really "free," simply declare yourself and those institutions, small minded people, etc. that don't accept it ------- screw them.

Many "stars" enjoy the added benefit of their voice speaking louder than others for products & causes. Why should what "they" say about something make a difference whether it be buying a certain product they endorse or speaking about a current event? Because being famous, people pay attention.

Speculation may be good for publicity, but in the long run WHO you are is a better way to live your life -- famous or not!

Alex Chambers

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I agree with part of your post ---- but here's some info to consider:

In our world of "stars" TV, movie, musical, literary, sports, etc. we are a society obsessed with "what's up?" We want to know who's dating who; who is sick; who's on drugs and in rehab; who's had a baby; who's gotten divorced or married; who's lost weight; etc.

Mensch, you are absolutely correct. Society wants to know all these things about people who are famous. I despise this. I don't know who it was who came up with the notion that famous people cannot be merely well-known to us, but must be completely known to us (including their private, personal business like health, weight loss, financial status, medical issues), but I would like to whip him with a wet noodle. For stars, this mindset must be intimidating when it comes to their level of comfort in being able to live their lives honestly and opently. I would like to see this change so that famous people don't have to publicize every aspect of their existance, but I am not sure I can do anything about it, except not participate it the frenzy.

paintact

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I understand public figures are in a bit of a different situation, but I get really bothered when people think "coming out", as in stating one's sexual orientation must =' I have tell everyone the details of my private life/dating life/sex life/etc....? '
That is not what it's about. Perhaps this is just my belief, but it's not our sexual orientation that is the most "private" thing about us. Far from it. At the end of the day, it's just another piece (mind you, a big one) of the puzzle that makes up we are...and by being able to acknowledge that fully, it shows that I've accepted myself (or am in the process of) and will no longer treat it with any such shame because there literally is no shame in it, and thus I should be able to allow my self to live as any of my hetero counterparts in society get to. They are not completely defined by their sexuality...neither are we. Unless we are in a situation where we need to protect ourselves, by saying it's so inherently "private" or "it's who I'm sleeping with", it's really just another way to hold onto the closet...and allow us to treat ourselves as less than our hetero counterparts. I want to demand equality on a civil level, a human rights level...then I've got to start with myself.
So, just because someone might know I'm gay / bisexual doesn't mean they get to know the details of my private life - because that is what's essentially private. Not the orientation itself.
In fact, when straight folks decided to show up anywhere and everywhere with their partner (and they usually do)... basically, you just told everyone who you're sleeping with. I suppose when we do the same, then it wouldn't be any different with us.

Now with celebs, it's what comes with the territory. Whether they come out, or stay closeted, people are going to talk and wonder because that's the business, and there's a lot of money to be made in it.
When a celeb decides to live their truth openly, especially with their sexuality, they slowly chip away at the institutionalized, and internal, homophobia that is still so deeply rooted in careers in the public eye, particularly in Hollywood. To say, "look, I'm not going to play the politics of sexuality anymore", especially when they're still building a career (which is a huge risk) sends a HUGE message.

Last edited: