zomg Tylenol III

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by paigexox, Oct 29, 2011.

1. paigexox

Gold Member

Albums:
    Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs (just kidding)

But to be serious for a moment: I am on a prescription for this stuff and have been told by my physician to do the "take as needed" regiment and just /continue with life as usual.

How in the hell is that reasonable advice at all? Perhaps I am just super-sensitive to the codeine, but effectively driving to work stoned and TA'ing university classes (though never more interesting than when under the influence) just seems... wrong?

Also: fucked up sex.

Just saying. :idea::laugh2:

2. D_Dick_Jerqhoff

D_Dick_Jerqhoff New Member

Hi - assuming you had some kind of procedure that would warrant such a prescription? Those are great when you need them but you have to be careful esp when driving. Can you take transit or something?!

3. paigexox

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I am not buying them on the sly and slipping them into a pez dispenser or anything for covert use. :silly::tongue2:

Public transit? Whazzat?! I need me one them fancy self-driving cars from Google!

4. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Are you taking Zomig? And Tylenol 3? Yikes... Zomig can cause dizziness and the Tylenol causes drowsiness and you shouldn't be driving under the influence of either one of those drugs. I take both of those too, Zomig for migraines, and Tylenol for back pain (or the occasional migraine) and I have a wait time before I drive.

Bad doctor! Bad doctor! :twak:

5. aninnymouse

Gold Member

*cough* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zomg *cough*

Yeah. Some people are uber sensitive to the codeine in them. I'd look into splitting them apart and only taking half, or not taking any unless you really, really need to. And, if you need to go somewhere after taking them, acquiring a ride might be the best thing to do.

#5 aninnymouse, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh you wacky young folk and your world wide web slangawhozits! I just can't keep up! Might I add, get off of my lawn?! :biggrin1:

7. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I was given Tylenol 3 when I fell of a horse when I was 19. Not good. I had a baby to care for and couldn't even see straight. I'm very sensitive to most medications, but this one had me going on a real trip! Cap laughs at my low tolerance, but I think twice before I take an Advil!

8. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Had to google Tylenol III :biggrin1:.

I have a similar prescription for my back pain. I rarely take it, because I'm worried I'll get addicted. Plus there's what I call 'The Stoner Effect'. The Stoner Effect doesn't get me every time I take it, but when it does . . .

I would advise being very careful in your choice of timing.

9. TheBestYouCan

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Seems like your first assessment was the most accurate. Your doctor is leaving it up to you to decide when you need it. Every drug reacts differently with different people but the best advice with ANY drug is "use it sparingly". I hope your pain abates!

My dentist gave me a script for painkillers once. When I revisited him the second time to have the work done he asked if the painkillers helped. I told him I filled the prescription but never took any. Blew his mind!!

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

Much worse than the codeine is the acetemetaphine (Tylenol). Tylenol, just by itself, is notorious for causing liver damage. And the liver damage is exacerbated if you drink a couple of glasses of wine. Be careful to not drink alcoholic beverages while on the pain medication. I've often asked physicians why codeine isn't simply mixed with aspirin (like the 2-2-2s available over the counter in Canada). I'm always told it's because aspirin hurts the lining of the stomach. But they mix it with ibuprofin, which also causes just as much damage to the stomach lining. The real reason is that Tylenol is a patented name for acetametaphine and mixing it with codeine means that it can be sold for a lot more money, because codeine hasn't been under a patent since WWI.

Just be careful and I hope you eventually no longer need to take the medication.

11. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    +1

As soon as I saw this thread, I was like...oop watch out for Liver damage

12. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's enough to stay the hell away from. The not being able to drive and function part is overrated. The sex part is the important one.

Unless you mean fucked up as in 3 donkeys and a chicken appear out of nowhere. Then that argument's got some wiggle room.

13. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have twice had a codeine analgesic prescribed to me for dealing with persistent pain, once from surgery and once from an injury. In the first case, I had an adverse reaction (which may have been due to the presence of another, unrelated drug) and in the second case I noticed no advantage over ordinary ibuprofen. In my experience, what makes the difference in dealing with pain is not the presence or absence of codeine but whether the analgesic is taken regularly (following instructions from a physician). If you stop taking it when you feel better, the nerves start their pain-generating business all over again. So the fact that the OP says that his doctor was prescribing a codeine with analgesic to be taken "as needed" makes me wonder whether said physician knows what he or she is doing at all.
    ZOMG! I didn't know there was such a drug!

#13 Calboner, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted