Dementia

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Quick question and hope someone mayhave an answer if that's okay!

If someone has a full surgical transition and gets dementia, they will likely regress back to a child over time. How does this impact trans people? Given they will believe they have the body they had a birth?

Does being fully transitioned come w the risk of traumatic, repeated realisations of a bodily disconnect?
Just curious, my friend asked recently and I've no idea!

Innocensia

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do patients with Alzheimers forget their genders? I suspect no for the most part. The same can be said for transgenders, as it relates to your brain development at an early age. You CANNOT choose to be transgender. Yes, they might forget everything like their new name (if they changed it), their transition, and all that stuff but they will never forget who they are. If they revert to a time where they were concealing their identity, then they would probably identify as their biological gender but nevertheless they will always be transgender.

Reactions: Bittydrew

WadWorshipper

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't believe that very many patients with dementia regress to childhood, but I could be wrong. They can become childLIKE, in that they are more easily entertained and find delight in simple things that their regular adult selves really didn't.

Reactions: Bittydrew

samanthaDee

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Depends on when the trans identity developed.
Those of us who already had a female identity in childhood will then reverse to little girls I suppose.
Those who developed a trans identity well into adulthood will then potentially reverse to their former male ego I suppose.

There was a scientific paper on this topic where a trans woman who transitioned in her 50s and developed dementia in her late 70s suddenly started reversing to her male self and it was paired with lots of aggression.

Paper can be found on Researchgate.

Reactions: chadsbcb

Freakerlo

Just Browsing
Media
In such cases, it's crucial for healthcare providers and caregivers to provide respectful and affirming care, acknowledging the person's gender identity even if they regress to earlier stages of life.

Freakerlo

Just Browsing
Media
In such cases, it's crucial for healthcare providers and caregivers to provide respectful and affirming care, acknowledging the person's gender identity even if they regress to earlier stages of life.
This can involve using preferred names and pronouns, as well as creating a safe and supportive environment.
For more information on mental health topics, you can explore articles on Integrative Therapy at Integrative Therapy - What is it?. It's essential to approach this issue with empathy and understanding, considering the unique experiences of transgender individuals.