Swimming naked at school/clubs

ds797

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Reading posts on the internet it seems that some schools in America and United Kingdom used to have nude swimming (something to do with not clogging the pool filters).

Also some people say that guys used to swim naked in Cuba in schools and stuff.

Anyone know anywhere we lads still swim naked? Does this still happen?

Thanks.

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There's an great early 1920's bath house in the center of
Helsinki, "George Street Swimming Hall" with saunas and
steam rooms on two floors, a bar/cafe, and a grand pool
in the style of "Tutankhamon". Turns are divided for men
and women separately, and the way to go for all is in the
nude, in all ages & shapes:) Can be cruisy.

Just check out the site, never mind the odd clipped language
of the cue-

www.hel2.fi/tourism/EN/palvelut_lisatiedot.asp?kieli=en&id=262&aspkategoria=4

FinnMan

Reactions: Andy Daniels

Roadster Steve

Experimental Member
Media
All right already you guys. Let's help this lad out...

That is, assuming that you, ds797, are indeed a lad. There's nothing to go on from your profile. Nor do you clue us in to where you live or might want to travel to.

Public nude swimming used to be par for the course here in the U.S., when schools were separated by gender and large enough to have their own pools. Most YMCA's had nude swimming in the past. Mine did. Lots of history on that is available. And in many places around the world nude swimming at public baths, pools and even parks were and are a common thing. Some with boys only days and girls only days. I figure this may be long gone for the most part now, other than in private clubs and beaches and parks that are are designated as clothing optional. But, all that doesn't help you out...

I'd suggest going to a local liberal or gay bookstore and looking through the many guides to nude beaches, hot springs, swimming holes, etc. I don't know if you are a gay man or not, ahem, no matter; any gay guide worth it's salt will have information on where to find safe places to be nude, (and perhaps not so safe places, that may turn out to be quite an adventure). Also, look for The Rough Guides, also published as The Real Guides. I've found them to be a great source of information on local places to swim, nude or not.

Other than very family oriented private nudist swimming clubs on the West Coast, the last nude pools I went to were in London. That was in 1996, so who knows now. These were listed as Public Baths in the guides. One in particular was a really great experience, in more ways than one. I don't remember it's name, and I don't have my books handy, but I think it was in the East End somewhere (???). Seek and ye shall find. I hear and read about many places in Germany, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Cuba still has several of it's original YMCA buildings and I would not be surprised that nudity is allowed there. Anyone here know?

Every once in a while I'll hear from someone that the YMCA in blah-blah Iowa or blah-blah Kentucky, still has nude swimming days. So keep asking around. (The men's only Y next door to the Naval base in Bremerton, WA, did until the late 80's...it was HOT). Even here in prudish Seattle there are three well known, although illegal, nude beaches. Everyone just watches out for the cops.

Since you are new here, try searching the Forums for nude beaches, etc. There's bound to be some helpful threads that come up.

For better assistance in the Forum you should let us what part of the world you are curious about so that we can narrow down our information for you.

You could even Google it. Be specific, ds797. -Steve

slayer04

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm straight but I don't mind if guys swim naked around me...I just hope there are some girls in the mix as well

HangX

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In HS, we were allowed a free swim after swim team practice, just before the pool closed for the night (9 pm). Many of us would head to the change rooms to give our suits a head start to dry, then head back naked for a 20-30 min swim.

Also, when the assistant coach was in charge, the slowest guy in a heat or relay would have to toss his suit until he redeemed himself. Of course, that created more drag and made it even more likely he would not finish well.

There are couple clubs here that organize biweekly naked swims.

aquadude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
HangX said:
In HS, we were allowed a free swim after swim team practice, just before the pool closed for the night (9 pm). Many of us would head to the change rooms to give our suits a head start to dry, then head back naked for a 20-30 min swim.

Also, when the assistant coach was in charge, the slowest guy in a heat or relay would have to toss his suit until he redeemed himself. Of course, that created more drag and made it even more likely he would not finish well.

There are couple clubs here that organize biweekly naked swims.

I wish my swim team was like that, lol. I love swimming naked, it is a blast, but then again, I just like being naked in general.

oldman9x7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I posted in another discussion that when I was in high school we always had our swim days sans clothing. I understand that now that is strictly taboo. Strange, isn't it that that was the normal practice at the time - - and that was back in the 1930's. BTW it was the same at our YMCA, Boy Scout Camp and YMCA Camp. In the 50's nude swimming was the rule at the Armed Services YMCA in San Diego.

WHEN did we get so prissy???

Gramps

Roadster Steve

Experimental Member
Media
Personally, I believe that along with the Gay Liberation movement and acceptance of our numbers came the knowledge that boys and men are constantly getting checked out. Just like the trend of extra baggy jeans, basket ball "shorts" becoming so long that they look like skirts, so came swimming trunks becoming mandatory.

At the university gym and pool I go to, the swim teams wears two swim suits. One, a speedo style and over that, a very short trunk style one. No more bulges. The teams do not even remove their suits afterwards in the showers, damn it, (Well, there is that one guy...hehe).

Now, the soccer teams... that's a different story...

-Steve

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Swimming naked has been the most natural thing for millenia: the only reason for wearing wet clothing is if you are caught in a thunderstorm or swimming in mixed company.

montroyal88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There is a place called Sauna 456 here with a nice indoor pool and nude swimming. The deck that surrounds it has comfy sofas and a big screen TV so it's a nice place to spend a lazy afternoon.

It is more or less a bathhouse, but it is really close to campus so it attracts horny str8 guys as well. I wish there were more mainstream pools that offered a nude swim, at least during certain times during the week.

Time to start a nudist club I guess. I would kill to be in charge of membership :)

-Ryan

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My dad used to mention that his local ymca had nude swimming (men only) when he was young.
That was all gone by my era.
dammit.

D_Count_Dickula

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems lots of American public baths and pools have dropped nude swimming policies in the past decades!
Is that because society becomes more conservative or homophobic again? Or are they (for no reason) afraid of sexual harrassment and crime?

In my area (Central Germany) we have a huge indoor swimming pool that featured a large sauna area with pools and about 15 different saunas. Every Friday there used to be nude swimming from 12pm.
Now they realized, that the people favor nude swimming over the clothed version and started to convert the whole facility into an all-nude sauna and swimming arena. To me its the best thing they could do. Obviously people like nude swimming more than I thought - maybe others should encourage nudity as well...

Joseph Centauri

Just Browsing
Media
I was on the swim team in high school, just a couple of years ago, and we always practiced naked. Our coach, who was in his early 40s, said that when he was in high school, swim classes were nude only. It wasn't that suits were optional, they weren't allowed. No one cared, since everyone did it, so he couldn't understand why this changed. Anyway, our team didn't have a lot of money, and chlorine ruins suits pretty quickly, so we would always practice naked. You can swim faster that way as well, so we would set high goals swimming naked, then try to match them when we competed in our suits. We went skinny dipping whenever we swam in the summers, but on a team in a school pool, it can feel a little different. Still, once you get over that (by the end of the first practice) you really do prefer it.

Joey