Anyone else approach random guys?

Hunty96

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I am a closeted gay guy and during my day to day life I'm a relatively quiet and guarded person. Since the start of this year I've developed this confidence out of nowhere and started approaching random guys on the street. I'll grab their attention and compliment them on their looks or style. Some guys have given me dirty looks and ignored me but most of time guys are flattered. When the response is positive, I get a warm feeling and I even managed to get a guy's number and we spoke more via text. On one occasion I told a man that he looked fantastic in his suit and he looked absolutely chuffed. Does anyone else do this? If so, share your experiences.

jesseboitel

Cherished Member
Media
Staten Island, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am a closeted gay guy and during my day to day life I'm a relatively quiet and guarded person. Since the start of this year I've developed this confidence out of nowhere and started approaching random guys on the street. I'll grab their attention and compliment them on their looks or style. Some guys have given me dirty looks and ignored me but most of time guys are flattered. When the response is positive, I get a warm feeling and I even managed to get a guy's number and we spoke more via text. On one occasion I told a man that he looked fantastic in his suit and he looked absolutely chuffed. Does anyone else do this? If so, share your experiences.
Dangerous and attention seeking behavior

jesseboitel

Cherished Member
Media
Staten Island, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I often see straight men approach women like this and I thought I'd do the same. I genuinely don't mean any harm and only want to compliment someone but I'll stop.
Whether or not you have good intentions is one thing.. You have to keep in mind that everyone is not approachable and some people are genuinely offended by being approached by a stranger... even when being complimented.. some people are genuinely mistrusting of strangers feeling that they have an ulterior motive for approaching them... You have to be extremely careful approaching people (strangers), especially nowadays. You also have to take him to consideration someone's previous experience with a stranger complimenting them.. perhaps it led to a stalking incident.. and now they have their guard up..Be Careful is all I'm saying..

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

The naysayer in this thread has advised caution, but I approve of your actions Hunty96. You aren't propositioning people for sex - just complimenting them. Making others feel confident and happy about their self images is a great thing. Those men put off by compliments alone are exhibiting a homophobic streak in my experience. Re: your OP - When I have been complimented on my looks and attire I felt well chuffed afterwards. BTW are you British? ;)

Last edited:

XSILVER

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is not necessary for sex or the potential of hooking up. I've been in a group at a restaurant and the waitress was an older woman, (mid-late 50's) and she was absolutely stunning. I felt compelled to tell her after she took our order "excuse me, but I just wanted to let you know that you are absolutely beautiful" you could tell she was taken back and beyond flattered. That was it. now keep in mind, I'm gay (and you would not be able to tell) and was there with several people one being my partner and that was it. nothing else was said or elaborated on.

NOW>>>>> if your cruising the streets and looking to catch a fish with random compliments, thats a different story.

But in today's society, we are so up tight and no one can talk to anyone anymore without people loosing their shit. Everyone needs to calm the F#@% down.

My two Pennies.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sometimes you compliment a person on their looks, the way they helped you across the road, in the supermarket etc and it's not always about seeking sex. Saying hi to stranger in a store isn't a proposition, and if he says hi back it's a bonus. However its not good to hit on a guy out of nowhere

Reactions: Hunty96

playklax01

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
But in today's society, we are so up tight and no one can talk to anyone anymore without people loosing their shit. Everyone needs to calm the F#@% down.

Totally agree!!! What's happened that we can't be simply friendly someone in public any longer? Happens in Boston too, I'm sure it's everywhere. Here as soon as some is legit friendly, the guard goes up, a scam is suspected, people shut down. It's fine to be cautious, but c'mon...

Re: the OP, I like his approach. What's the worst that's likely going to happen? Someone finds it odd and carries on, no big deal or loss. I don't think he'll be attacked or something, that would be crazy. He seems to have luck with people, getting their number and such, I think that's awesome!

It's bold and confident, so power to the OP! I wish someone would come up to me and say I have a nice shirt or whatever, it would make my day. And if I thought the person was cute, it could make my night lol.

Reactions: Hunty96

playklax01

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sometimes you compliment a person on their looks, the way they helped you across the road, in the supermarket etc and it's not always about seeking sex. Saying hi to stranger in a store isn't a proposition, and if he says hi back it's a bonus. However its not good to hit on a guy out of nowhere

Where did 'hitting on a guy' come up? This isn't directly about that. It's a compliment, like an ice breaker. While the OP is likely looking for a guy, he isn't saying 'wow, you look hot in that tight shirt'. That would be too much.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Where did 'hitting on a guy' come up? This isn't directly about that. It's a compliment, like an ice breaker. While the OP is likely looking for a guy, he isn't saying 'wow, you look hot in that tight shirt'. That would be too much.
Some guys would take it as a hit if another guy said they looked good - some guys are over-sensitive!

playklax01

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some guys would take it as a hit if another guy said they looked good - some guys are over-sensitive!
Well, still, if they took it as a hit but aren't interested they can move on like nothing happened. Even if they called you an f-word or something, you'll never see that person again. If they took the hit and are interested, great!

Hunty96

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The naysayer in this thread has advised caution, but I approve of your actions Hunty96. You aren't propositioning people for sex - just complimenting them. Making others feel confident and happy about their self images is a great thing. Those men put off by compliments alone are exhibiting a homophobic streak in my experience. Re: your OP - When I have been complimented on my looks and attire I felt well chuffed afterwards. BTW are you British? ;)
I am British.

I appreciate all the responses. I wanted to know what other people thought.