Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I recently found this very disturbing article. Years ago Scifi writers predicted that nature though mainly docile except when threatened would turn against man in the worst of ways! Are we starting to live this frightening reality ? Is it not too far off in the future when our common house pet becomes our life threatening enemy ?
If an animal as passive as an Elephant can turn is mans best friend really that far behind ?
It is past time humans realized their place on this planet, that we come and SHOULD come second to the indigenous life force of the planet. Will this lead as predicted by writers to the eradication of the human race ? I for one would not weep b/c even though I love dearly a few select humans, on the whole we are worthless, greedy and discompassionate. Animals know how to treat the planet the way it should be treated, they know how to give and take according to universal laws not mans laws.
Scientists say the planet will combust when we colide with our sun sometime in the 38Th century, but will we even be here ?

Here is the fascinating albeit disturbing article .

<a href=An Elephant Crackup? - New York Times></a>

:banana:
HORSE

kamikazee_club

1st Like
Media
Interesting article. I don't know where you got the idea the elephants are passive though. I think it's hard to draw firm conclusions about the behaviour of creatures with which we cannot communicate meaningfully. Elephants clearly have intelligence, and with intelligence comes choice so it's not unreasonable to believe that such choice may manifest itself in ways that may surprise us.

I don't believe nature is vengeful because that would require sentience. I do believe in the cyclical nature of planetary processes. That includes 'random extraterrestrial' influences (not of the ET kind). Combined, or independently these may have consequences that are not necessarily condusive to or even compatible with the continued survival of the Human species, despite our ability to adapt to change by the use of technology.

Put another way; we are beginning to reap what we have sown over the last few centuries. As it's said, what comes around goes around and if provoked nature will bite back, but without malice.

Is our future in our own hands? Maybe, in the short term but even if that is true, for sure our grasp on it is weakening, in terms of our long term survival, for that we must evolve.

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
As far as wild animals go Elephants in the past have been most passive, many times you have heard of a poacher seeing their beautiful eyes looking into theirs and knowing what was going on and doing nothing about it. They have never been one to attack nor have they been so quick to anger, my god look at what they put up with in the circus . By that reasoning they ARE passive, well they have been in the past but due to humans that is definitely changing.

Everything else you said I thought was right on and quite inciteful however I do see a time when nature will be vengeful. Perhaps this is a way of nature taking back what has been so abused. The classic case of the abused becomes the abuser. Although it is disheartening to think in those terms it doesn't seem to be too far fetched.

You dont believe in sentience in nature exists now ? You dont think animals think and feel though they may not be aware of what is going on at times their eyes seem to convey the emotions they ARE feeling ?
Is man really so evolved that we are the only ones capable of feeling ? I find that incredibly arrogant and dismissive of the love I feel with my animals. I have a kinship with them, they know me all too well and I know them. I even have a dog I can speak telepathically to and he will come to me so you can't tell me animals are not sentient.

:banana:
HORSE

kamikazee_club

1st Like
Media
As far as wild animals go Elephants in the past have been most passive, many times you have heard of a poacher seeing their beautiful eyes looking into theirs and knowing what was going on and doing nothing about it. They have never been one to attack nor have they been so quick to anger, my god look at what they put up with in the circus . By that reasoning they ARE passive, well they have been in the past but due to humans that is definitely changing.

Everything else you said I thought was right on and quite inciteful however I do see a time when nature will be vengeful. Perhaps this is a way of nature taking back what has been so abused. The classic case of the abused becomes the abuser. Although it is disheartening to think in those terms it doesn't seem to be too far fetched.

You dont believe in sentience in nature exists now ? You dont think animals think and feel though they may not be aware of what is going on at times their eyes seem to convey the emotions they ARE feeling ?
Is man really so evolved that we are the only ones capable of feeling ? I find that incredibly arrogant and dismissive of the love I feel with my animals. I have a kinship with them, they know me all too well and I know them. I even have a dog I can speak telepathically to and he will come to me so you can't tell me animals are not sentient.

Sorry, I misunderstood, by nature I was talking in the abstract not in terms of animal species, which of course are sentient and yes, many are quite capable of vengeful acts.

By elephants not being passive, I meant they are capable of extreme violence when provoked and sometimes seemingly without any provocation. As for circus training I think that is more about fear of retribution and conditioning. After all any animal, humans included are capable of being coerced into the most atypical behaviours, that does not change their nature, it merely suppresses it. Eventually in many cases their natural behaviours will emerge.

I think many animal species are incredibly perceptive, horses especially but as for telepathy, I'm not sure but neither would I dismiss it. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.