1. bignfloppy

bignfloppy Member

So I'm about 6'3" 175 lbs. I'm thin, and I wouldn't say my arms are "scrawny," but they leave something to be desired. I really don't work out a lot at all, but I've decided I'd at least like to work on my arms and chest.

I've got a pair of 20 lb. dumbbells, and I've started doing 3 sets of ten curls
    and then 3 sets of ten kick backs for the triceps, and as many push-ups as I can do. This leaves me sore for a day or two, so I'll do it again as soon as I'm not sore, about three times a week.

Is this going to make any difference, or am I kidding myself? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know much about this at all.

Thanks!

2. B_Castello

B_Castello New Member

Funny I just put a post and I'm talking about me be to skinny. So as my arms.

3. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

hey big/floppy -

my suggestions -
    if you can afford it, get a trainer, just for a little while
    diet, that is the key to growing any part of the body
    got to have a plan man

4. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    it is better then not working out at all but honestly to put on mass you will need more then a pair of 20 lb dumbells
    do you have the cash for a gym memership? if not save up for a time you can get a weightbar and weights (300lbs total loaded bar) for a little over 300 bucks.

you can do some stuff with that
    you could also make progress, slightly cheaper, by getting a 100lb set of weights, but even tho your main goal is larger arms, your arms will only grow so much before your body considers it to be a lack of proportionality to the rest of your body
    anyway you can PM me if you want, I don't always check this section but I have been interested in lifting weights for years
    I havn't lifted in over a year myself but I still have all the knowledge and would be glad to share it
    or you can just go to bodybuilding.com
    elitefitness.com if it is still around was pretty good but i think responces are a little quicker at bb.com due to the higher volume

5. hud01

Gold Member

Conventional wisdom is that you should rest a couple of days in between each workout. Generally you break a total body workout over three days. The other big thing is too build muscle and get stronger, you should use weights that are so heavy that you top out at 3 to 5 reps.

To really do this right find a complete workout regimine, not just arms. Do your back, chest, shoulders, legs.

Look on CL for someone selling a weight bench. If space is an issue, buy dumbells, they take up less room than barbells. Also, an exercise ball will take up less room and you can use it like a bench and it will help your core when you use it.

Edit: I don't know if it is always true, but Arnold said you need to add 10 pounds of weight to your body for every additional inch to your bicep.

#5 hud01, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted