Belly Fat, Help!

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Diet. You'll have to cut something from your diet. For some people, it's carbs. For others, it's food in general.
Start by calorie counting. You can't make changes to anything (really, anything) without measurements.

Find an app. I use myfitnesspal. It's free. I did not intend to use it as a weight loss program, but I have lost a few pounds simply by looking at my calories and making good decisions.

You can exercise. Exercise is always healthy. But to lose weight you need to eat less.

rogue_sword

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
80% of any body change is diet. If you're just looking to lose fat, this is called 'cutting'.

To lose body fat you need a calorie deficit. That just means you consume less calories than you use. There are plenty of places online that you an calculate your "maintenance calories", that is, the energy you burn just to keep alive in a normal day.

The deficit is your maintenance calories minus what you eat. If you consistently keep a deficit of 25% or so, you'll lose weight very quickly.

Maintaining a calorie deficit is uncomfortable. You'll be restless, hungry, and low energy ALL THE TIME. That's how you know it's working.

It's also important to keep on track of macros. This means amounts of protein, carbs and fats that you eat. Generally most cutting diets are low carb and high protein. The high protein helps prevent your body using your muscles as fuel once your body gets used to using protein instead of carbs as fuel. Like Twoton says, you can use something like myfitnesspal app to do this.

And the most important thing - stick to it 100%. One cheat a week and your body will cling on to fat for dear life. If you must cheat don't go nuts and try to stick to every 2-3 weeks.

As well as diet I would recommend:

Fasted cardio: every morning before you eat anything, do some cardio. I usually go and walk on a treadmill with a high incline and watch something on my iPad

HITS: get a good HITS session in a couple of times a week. something that really gets the heart rate up

Weights: keep training. you burn calories and remind your muscles they're still needed.

No protein shakes: I you are cutting you want to get those macros from food.

No sugar: definitely no cakes, processed sugar or even sweet fruit helps.

Supplements: high caffeine fat burner, high EPA omega 3, multivit and if you get a lot of cramps, potassium.

If you get the recipe right, it's amazing how quickly your body will change. A couple of months of discipline is all it takes, plus the resolve not to binge it back on again (when you hit you goal you need to "reverse diet" rather than celebrate with pizza and cake). I find that it's one of those things that if you have 100% discipline you get a result very quickly, but 90% discipline gets you nowhere.

confidential36

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sign up for a 1/2 marathon and start a 12 week training program and try not to eat more than you currently are. The pounds will fall off.

I personally can't stay in a diet or workout program without goals. If I don't have a race coming up, I lost my motivation.

Eating out has been a problem for me lately, so I've put on some weight also. I've now cut out restaurant meals. They are notoriously high in calories.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What's the best (and fastest) way, diet, or workout to get rid of belly fat? I'm 5'3 and 185lb and most of my weight is in my belly?
Eating out has been a problem for me lately, so I've put on some weight also. I've now cut out restaurant meals. They are notoriously high in calories.

A big help is to cut your grocery bill a little bit more each week. Seriously. Nearly every night I look for something quick and easy to eat. But if there's nothing in the kitchen, I don't eat.

Reactions: Gj816

onestepatta

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is excellent advise and was generous of the author to explain to concisely.

80% of any body change is diet. If you're just looking to lose fat, this is called 'cutting'.

To lose body fat you need a calorie deficit. That just means you consume less calories than you use. There are plenty of places online that you an calculate your "maintenance calories", that is, the energy you burn just to keep alive in a normal day.

The deficit is your maintenance calories minus what you eat. If you consistently keep a deficit of 25% or so, you'll lose weight very quickly.

Maintaining a calorie deficit is uncomfortable. You'll be restless, hungry, and low energy ALL THE TIME. That's how you know it's working.

It's also important to keep on track of macros. This means amounts of protein, carbs and fats that you eat. Generally most cutting diets are low carb and high protein. The high protein helps prevent your body using your muscles as fuel once your body gets used to using protein instead of carbs as fuel. Like Twoton says, you can use something like myfitnesspal app to do this.

And the most important thing - stick to it 100%. One cheat a week and your body will cling on to fat for dear life. If you must cheat don't go nuts and try to stick to every 2-3 weeks.

As well as diet I would recommend:

Fasted cardio: every morning before you eat anything, do some cardio. I usually go and walk on a treadmill with a high incline and watch something on my iPad

HITS: get a good HITS session in a couple of times a week. something that really gets the heart rate up

Weights: keep training. you burn calories and remind your muscles they're still needed.

No protein shakes: I you are cutting you want to get those macros from food.

No sugar: definitely no cakes, processed sugar or even sweet fruit helps.

Supplements: high caffeine fat burner, high EPA omega 3, multivit and if you get a lot of cramps, potassium.

If you get the recipe right, it's amazing how quickly your body will change. A couple of months of discipline is all it takes, plus the resolve not to binge it back on again (when you hit you goal you need to "reverse diet" rather than celebrate with pizza and cake). I find that it's one of those things that if you have 100% discipline you get a result very quickly, but 90% discipline gets you nowhere.

MarcoJock

Legendary Member
Media

Agree. I have to eat out a lot with my job. My two rules: 1) be selective with menu choices and 2) eat half of what’s put in front of you.

I kind of in the same boat. I had an injury and have not been able to lose the weight that I gained it. I have been running I work out play sports and the doctors are telling me I'm not eating enough calories to lose weight is that such a thing? I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 193 feel if I can lose 20 lb I'll be at the goal that I want to be at.

Sitronmelde

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lesson learned: "If" you're gonna do the ultra-low net carb, high fat diet, no cheating at all. No weekend splurge, no birthday cake morsel. But if done right, you'll realise you had a carb addiction. The fats should satisfy and prevent those urges. I was addicted to cheese and crackers together just before I started this diet. One avocado per day, a couple hard boiled eggs, a balance of nuts and cheese, you shouldn't crave carbs anymore. Apples and bananas, even carrots will feel like too much sugar. If you make sure any natural sugars are offset by equal grams of fiber you'll avoid any roller coaster effect. But, going out to a restaurant with family or friends...that's where difficulties happen, even too much protein intake gets converted to glucose. So, if you're gonna have carbs anyways, you'll need to cut high fats. The two together make you gain. When you're back on a regular diet, that thing of dipping bread in olive and/or flax oil is still good, if you're not eating the whole loaf.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I agree with Rogue Sword,

I lost 22 lbs.with the coaching of a dietitian.and following below:

1. Logging your food n drink intake is extremely helpful. It makes you aware of what you are eating and if cheating you feel dirty n guilty

2. Figure out your eating structure. It is the time when to eat. You should have minimum 3 hours or more between eating to start using stored fat. No snacks except cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes and lemon water or handful of berries (only a handful. My dietician was strict)

3. Drink plenty of water or unsweetened green tea

4. Run or walk briskly before breakfast. Interval running really burns up calories. Bike, swim or row will work too. Best run/bike morning...swim/row evening

5. Eat healthy foods avoid processed junk and learn to read label. Lower your sodium intake

6. Get natural probiotics and get good bacteria in your gut. Eat sauerkraut, plain yogurt, kefir, kombucha etc...

7. Look up the recommended daily calories for you and try to stay below it. I did500 less a day n had no problem. Mine was 1800-2200 but I stuck to 1600 with no ill effects.

8. Avoid chips, ice cream processed food, sweets, and most of all soft drinks and fruit juice. (Flabby belly from that shit)

9. Look at yourself naked every day (don’t be discouraged just motivated to look great)

Fat is to go on easy and fast BUT is extremely slow n hard to shed. don't get frustrated, it’s hard but obtainable.
Good luck. Don’t give up.

Last edited:

ShortBoy97

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Update: I downloaded myfitnesspal as suggeted. Starting today I'm going to try to cut out as much carbs and sugar (other then some fruit) out. The app said I should try 1500cals a day so we'll see how that goes. I also bought some weights and a cheap workout bench. Hopefully that will motivate me.

Do you guys have any thoughts on supplements? I ordered some organic wheatgrass powder(mostly bc i like the tasteand add it to some fruit shakes) but it's suppose to help with weight lose i think as well.

Reactions: twoton and Gj816

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Update: I downloaded myfitnesspal as suggeted. Starting today I'm going to try to cut out as much carbs and sugar (other then some fruit) out. The app said I should try 1500cals a day so we'll see how that goes. I also bought some weights and a cheap workout bench. Hopefully that will motivate me.

Do you guys have any thoughts on supplements? I ordered some organic wheatgrass powder(mostly bc i like the tasteand add it to some fruit shakes) but it's suppose to help with weight lose i think as well.

A men’s multivitamin and fish oil capsules will not hurt anything. Most importantly eat good quality foods that will provide vitamins and minerals you need. Exercise, walking is easy.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Eat less and exercise. And if you won't exercise just eat less.

Several friends, family and co-workers over the years have only been able to lose weight and keep it off using weight watchers. One co-worker who was also in a 12 step program compared WW to 12 steps in the sense that he had to give up control of what he ate.

Count those calories and no cheating.

bar4doug

Loved Member
Media
What's the best (and fastest) way, diet, or workout to get rid of belly fat? I'm 5'3 and 185lb and most of my weight is in my belly?

The "fastest" way is not the "best" way.

I was pushing 240# last summer. I snored when sleeping; sleep quality was not good. I always knew I was a overweight (I am well over 6 ft tall), but my tall frame hid it well. Being only 5'-3", you have less places to hide it.

It takes a change in mindset and requires you to rethink how you go about eating.

1. Pick a time of day, and weigh yourself each morning. I weigh myself after my morning shower.
2. Eat less. Not a lot less, but less. Slow and steady wins the race.
3. Track your progess. (I use the Health app on my iPad).
4. Walk; lift; cycle. Get more active and less sedentary.

I didn't change my diet as much as I changed how much I ate when I did eat. I drink black coffee and water. I still eat wings and pizza, but not as often, and then not as much when I do. I still enjoy my suds.

I averaged about 1# or 2# loss per week. It took a few months to notice the improvement in sleep. By New Years, my belts ran out of notches. House guests (or people whose home I was a guest in) noticed that I no longer snored. I showed off my slimmer waistline, asking them if they wanted to inspect all the new room. (I could put my fist under my belt-line on either hip.) I broke the 200# barrier maybe three weeks ago. I probably got another 10-15 to go.

The only bad thing is that my clothes are soon to no longer fit. I am bummed that my boardies no longer fit.. But I'll gladly buy new ones for all the other improvements I've benefited from.

As far as progress goes, there were days when I lost, and days when I gained. The "daily" view of my weight looks like a stock market report, but the overall trend (when I zoom out to the month / year view scale), shows a 4-5 # loss per month. Some were better, some were worse, but the trend has been right.

Patience, and a will, are how you will succeed.