Brokeback Mountain

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just finished watching this film again, and it was still able to break my heart the way it did when I first saw it. Which scene gets you the most when you watch it?

brokebackopera.jpg

27_BrokebackMountain.jpg

brokeback_mountain_kiss.jpg

brokebackwww_unique-screenwriting-com_-brokeback-mountain-heath-ledger-hug-shirt-1.jpg

Reactions: jasonkenny

NY4Curious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The scene where Ledge brings to kids to the store where his wife works to leave them with her. To me its just the essence of everything going wrong for Heath and his wife. Their lives are no longer making sense to them any more and they dont have a clue why not.
The scene where Jake is letting his son pretend to drive the big farm equipment is a real heartbreaker too. It's should a "what it could have been if only..."
I agree with those (including the author of the short story) who say, this isnt a story about two men who won't admitt they're gay, its a story about two people who got in over their depth. Their sexual attraction to each other is a metaphor for those situations one needs to see the danger in if one is going to keep things in one's life under control (and in my book, rather dull. I'm a no guts no glory kind of guy, but that's me.)

cdimop

Sexy Member
Media
Most moving scene for me is when he looks in his closet to look at Jake's blood stained shirt hanging with his own shirt on top of it in an "embrace."

Prtam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My husband and I decided to watch it nearly three months ago. When I first saw it, it affected me in a huge way. Such a painful yet sweet story. When we tried to watch it three months ago, we had to turn it off because it was just too depressing. The pace ended up too slow and it just seemed like such a downer. I guess we're just too caught up in the glow of our relationship that we couldn't relate to the torment of the film. As a lover of film and story, I do appreciate it's beauty and place, but I don't know if I'm in the frame of mind to watch it again.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
If you've never read the short story by Annie Proulx that the movie was based on, it's totally worth a read. Read a preview here, and you can find it in libraries and bookstores all over.

She's an incredible writer. When I first read the short story in the New Yorker magazine, it totally hit me upside the head like no piece of fiction has in a long time. I also recommend her novel, "The Shipping News."

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you've never read the short story by Annie Proulx that the movie was based on, it's totally worth a read. Read a preview here, and you can find it in libraries and bookstores all over.

She's an incredible writer. When I first read the short story in the New Yorker magazine, it totally hit me upside the head like no piece of fiction has in a long time. I also recommend her novel, "The Shipping News."

The book is even more touching than the movie.

NY4Curious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I concur. I'm not much of a crier, however I do confess to tearing up at the film, but the short story had me sobbing like I haven't sobbed since I was a very young child. One of the most moving pieces of literature in existence. A real beauty.

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
well it would have to be the scene with ennis nervously waiting for jack's arrival, and then the arrival. really great acting on ledger's part, beats his role in the "dark knight" hands down. a tearjerker moment, yeah, but it felt real to me.

Rufus Wainwright's "Maker Makes" on closing credits is an amazing song, Wainwright must have felt the pain at some point in his life.

Last edited:

pomaus

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The first scene that got to me as a gay guy myself, was early on in the movie. When they 1st come down from the Mountain and have to say goodbye

Jack Drives off and Enis goes into the barn, where he breaks down, feels sick and punches the beam.

I could identify from personal experience, the turmoil that Enis was in, The feelings of guilt along with the heartache of losing the man he has felt his 1st emotional attachment too. I think Heath did an amazing job portraying that scene and his whole performance in the movie was an amazing piece of acting.

The other really moving scene for me, was as someone else posted earlier, The scene where Jack has learnt of Enis Divorce and goes to him with the hope, that it means they can at last have the relationship he has always wished for. Jack is bursting with emotion and happiness driving his truck , only to find Enis with his Children and is then dismissed by Enis. It really is heartbreaking and is another scene that was brilliantly played by Jake Gyllenhaal.

One of my all time favourite movies.

fantastic acting and very courageous roles taken on by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath, considering the subject.

I also remember a "straight" mate saying to me, after he had watched the movie. That it opened his eyes, as he did not realise gay people could have that kind of love and attachment towards one another.

Charles Finn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I tried to watch this movie it took me 2 times to finally get through it maybe I am selfish but I really hate this movie. I am trying to understand how things were then.
I have traveled a very different path.
I met and fell in love with a married 30yo man with 2 kids when I was 18 we were together for 5 years he left his wife for me.
I have always been true to myself first.
we were very out in a time not many were.
he was very much over the top when it came to his sexuality.
for me the hardest part of this movie is when they lie about the way he died.

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Someone mentioned Ennis finding Jack's shirt on top of his in the closet, and I agree that that is one of the most powerful scenes in the film. Turns out that scene was actually a bit longer than what made it in the film. It cuts before Ennis starts to bawl like a baby. Here's the last bit of that scene...

YouTube - BBM Deleted Scene

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Someone mentioned Ennis finding Jack's shirt on top of his in the closet, and I agree that that is one of the most powerful scenes in the film. Turns out that scene was actually a bit longer than what made it in the film. It cuts before Ennis starts to bawl like a baby. Here's the last bit of that scene...

YouTube - BBM Deleted Scene

Isn't that part of the scene when Ennis goes up to see Jack's parents? He gets to keep Jack's shirt. He cries in Jack's childhood room.

I remember seeing this scene at the movies.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My husband and I decided to watch it nearly three months ago. When I first saw it, it affected me in a huge way. Such a painful yet sweet story. When we tried to watch it three months ago, we had to turn it off because it was just too depressing. The pace ended up too slow and it just seemed like such a downer. I guess we're just too caught up in the glow of our relationship that we couldn't relate to the torment of the film. As a lover of film and story, I do appreciate it's beauty and place, but I don't know if I'm in the frame of mind to watch it again.

I hate depressing gay films. I don't EVEN own PHILADELPHIA.

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Isn't that part of the scene when Ennis goes up to see Jack's parents? He gets to keep Jack's shirt. He cries in Jack's childhood room.

I remember seeing this scene at the movies.

Yeah, the scene is in the movie, but they cut it before you see him really bawling like he is in that short clip.

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Jake will be out Dec. 1 in a movie where he is a straight stud. Lots of sex and nudity.

It's already out, and I just came from seeing it. It's called Love and Other Drugs, and it is really good. He's nude in a lot of scenes, and his bod is perfection.