Calling all travellers

iluv2xlr8

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello all

So I have a question. I was wondering if it would be possible to go to europe for maybe a quick 4 day weekend. Or anywhere in the world for that manner. The way I see it, when you save for one big trip a year, your expectations get really high and you put all of your eggs in 1 basket. If you're let down, it could be devestating. So I figure shorter, more frequent trips overseas would help me see more without me having my expectations too high. I've been to a few countries but my ex always took care of the details with bookings, flights, etc. Does any one here have any experience with frequent travel for pleasure, and if so could you give me some pointers on quick 3-4 day trips to europe, s. america, asia, etc. (How to find discounted airfare, discounted hotel/hostel, etc.)

Im good at prioritizing, so I wouldn't be bogged down with wanting to go EVERYWHERE. And I have no problem traveling alone if nobody wants to come with.

Thanks

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think it really depends on where you live and the amount of flying time it takes. I am signed up with United.com, Continental.com and Hawaiian Air, they send regualr e-mails about discounted airfare almost daily.
The NY times travel section on Sunday also features great airfare during off peak for certain destinations.
A friend of my used to troll Some Cheap Airfare site but I don't remember the name of it. We went to some pretty amazing places at the last minute really inexpensively but you have to be willing to go at almost the last minute and be really flexible.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I've had some great times in Europe, under the category of 'pleasure', but I live in Europe! People would be able to give you better advice if you stated where you live, or at least which continent.

Hello all

So I have a question. I was wondering if it would be possible to go to europe for maybe a quick 4 day weekend. Or anywhere in the world for that manner. The way I see it, when you save for one big trip a year, your expectations get really high and you put all of your eggs in 1 basket. If you're let down, it could be devestating. So I figure shorter, more frequent trips overseas would help me see more without me having my expectations too high. I've been to a few countries but my ex always took care of the details with bookings, flights, etc. Does any one here have any experience with frequent travel for pleasure, and if so could you give me some pointers on quick 3-4 day trips to europe, s. america, asia, etc. (How to find discounted airfare, discounted hotel/hostel, etc.)

Im good at prioritizing, so I wouldn't be bogged down with wanting to go EVERYWHERE. And I have no problem traveling alone if nobody wants to come with.

Thanks

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was wondering if it would be possible to go to europe for maybe a quick 4 day weekend.
Bad idea. From anywhere in the continental USA, a transAtlantic flight is going to be in the neighborhood of 10 hours each way...so you're basically losing two of your four days being in the air. Not worth it, IMO.

There are plenty of destinations within the States, and even the other North- and Central American nations that would make much better use of that time.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Bad idea. From anywhere in the continental USA, a transAtlantic flight is going to be in the neighborhood of 10 hours each way...so you're basically losing two of your four days being in the air. Not worth it, IMO.

There are plenty of destinations within the States, and even the other North- and Central American nations that would make much better use of that time.

Oh, so the OP is from the US?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've done several weekend trips to Portugal for business reasons, and every time I come back I wish I could have stayed longer so I could visit some of the other countries in Europe. I always wanted to do the whole "backpacking" thing for one or two months after graduating but never got a chance to do so. One of these days, I hope I'll be able to do few months overseas so I can really experience the continent.

If you only have 4 days, it's better to something like New Orleans (especially around the Jazz Fest), Washington DC, Boston or even Sandusky. My partner and I took my oldest niece and nephew there for a quick vacation before they went back to school and we had an amazing time. If it has to be out of the country, perhaps Montreal?

iluv2xlr8

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the feedback folks. I should have been more clear in my original post. I live in Providence, RI. I guess it's true about losing days in the air. Central America sounds like it would be a great idea. I guess i'm just so eager to see the world i'm getting ahead of myself as far as whats actually doable.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK it makes it easier knowing where you live. On the east coast you can get to Western Europe fairly quickly on a non-stop from Boston. I have had some fun fast trips to London, Paris, Belgium, Denmark and Amsterdam. Going down to South America I would give yourself at least a week. Asia or the South Pacific because of the flying time, you need 10 days minimum.

MonsterUncut

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thanks for the feedback folks. I should have been more clear in my original post. I live in Providence, RI. I guess it's true about losing days in the air. Central America sounds like it would be a great idea. I guess i'm just so eager to see the world i'm getting ahead of myself as far as whats actually doable.

Not too expensive, 4 1/2 hrs flight, Puerto Rico-Ocean Park guest house gay friendly on the beach, St. Thomas, Jamaica, would be a good start. PR is very inexpensive, great food, lots of fun, Jamaica, need to watch your back. Costa Rica...ALOT OF FUN! Jet Blue flies out of JFK nonstop to Costa Rica now. Good luck, have fun.

Peace

D

deleted3782

I've done quick weekends to Europe, its a great get-away. Leave the east coast of the USA on Thursday for an overnight flight that arrives in a place like London early enough the next day that you can enjoy a big English breakfast in a pub in Soho or Chelsea by 9 or 10am, enjoy all day Friday, catch a play on West End on Friday night, enjoy the Tate Modern on Saturday and jump on a plane back to the USA on Sunday. All you need is a backpack of clothes. The downside...you can be jetlagged the whole time and you leave a huge carbon footprint...and you are vulnerable to flight delays/cancellations, but the upside is that its a great change of pace. I have done this for London and for Paris. The New York Times publishes "36 Hours in..." guides for the folks that want to see places like this.

Give it a try and see if you enjoy it...not much to lose except time and money...:rolleyes:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Personally I have enormous difficulty with jet-lag flying east, and I know I'm not the only one. Whenever I flew from Boston or NYC to Europe, I lost most of the first day to sleep. After having worked a conference in Portland, OR in 2008, I noticed the same effect once back home in SoFla.

Your safest and most enjoyable destinations in such a short period of time, especially this time of year, are to the south: the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America. I traveled to Venezuela several times in the 80s (my then-partner was from Caracas), but Chavez has effectively killed American tourism there: it's a shame, because it's an amazingly beautiful place, cheap as hell, great food and shopping, warm friendly people, etc.

Being a life-long New Englander, I couldn't imagine how frigid Montreal could get, and made the one-time error of going there on my birthday at the end of January in 2001. It was positively arctic: enjoy Montreal from May through October, as I have on innumerable occasions before and since.

D

deleted3782

Personally I have enormous difficulty with jet-lag flying east,...

Interesting. I can go east with no problem, its heading back west that kills me.

Going south is a great idea. Mexico City is practically a European capital in appearance, so is Buenos Aires and San Juan. Can't speak for any other Mexican-Caribbean-Central/South American cities...yet.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For some reason the jet lag rule of every hour difference to your time zone is equal to a day of jet lag has always been the case for me. If you cross the international dateline multiply X2.
It's so much more difficult traveling from west to east for me.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting. I can go east with no problem, its heading back west that kills me.

Going south is a great idea. Mexico City is practically a European capital in appearance, so is Buenos Aires and San Juan. Can't speak for any other Mexican-Caribbean-Central/South American cities...yet.

That makes you even more special, Exie. The overwhelming majority of folks I know have far greater difficulty flying east, whether it's transcontinental or transoceanic, I've need most of my arrival day to just sleep.

The first time I flew to Spain I was still in my mid-20s, my Venezuelan ex and I landed in Madrid and hit the ground running. By early-afternoon, we were falling asleep standing up trying to admire the Goyas at the Prado :tongue:

For some reason the jet lag rule of every hour difference to your time zone is equal to a day of jet lag has always been the case for me. If you cross the international dateline multiply X2.
It's so much more difficult traveling from west to east for me.

I can absorb an hour or two, but six or more just pummel me.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is flying East or West harder?

Jet lag | Better Health Channel
Flying east or west makes a difference
Your circadian rhythm (body clock) is less confused if you travel westward. This is because travelling west ‘prolongs’ the body clock’s experience of its normal day–night cycle (the normal tendency of the body clock in most of us is slightly longer than 24 hours). Travelling eastwards, however, runs in direct opposition to the body clock. If you suffer badly from jet lag, it may be worthwhile considering a westerly travel route if possible.
Jet lag | Better Health Channel