Casey Cott

Zee19

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If Riverdale cant do anything with their characters after a fucking time jump, then they're either 1) worse hacks than we thought or 2) straight up hate Casey/Kevin
IKR! While I understand the writers had to bump up Toni's character to main core because Vanessa rightly called them out on the show's state of characters of color, Kevin has had less screen time then her since the start of Choni and far less inclusion in storylines. Most of his relationships were developed offscreen and don't even get me started on that character assassination in season 3. If Kevin or Fangs turn out be Toni's baby daddies in another tired one wants a baby one doesn't let's break up storyline I'm done.

Luke333

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
IKR! While I understand the writers had to bump up Toni's character to main core because Vanessa rightly called them out on the show's state of characters of color, Kevin has had less screen time then her since the start of Choni and far less inclusion in storylines. Most of his relationships were developed offscreen and don't even get me started on that character assassination in season 3. If Kevin or Fangs turn out be Toni's baby daddies in another tired one wants a baby one doesn't let's break up storyline I'm done.

Do you think they realize Drew Ray Tanner is a man of colour too? That Vanessa was fighting for him too?
If they want their fake woke crown back (whilst actual progressive shows are getting shit done) then they need to give them all (Toni, Reggie, Sweet Pea and Fangs) actual storylines and characterization in their own right, and not just sidekicks to the core 4 that are discarded when they aren't needed.

Zee19

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you think they realize Drew Ray Tanner is a man of colour too? That Vanessa was fighting for him too?
If they want their fake woke crown back (whilst actual progressive shows are getting shit done) then they need to give them all (Toni, Reggie, Sweet Pea and Fangs) actual storylines and characterization in their own right, and not just sidekicks to the core 4 that are discarded when they aren't needed.
Exactly. If the writers are even remotely genuine, we'll see more. Guess we have to wait and see.

Caleb Trask

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who found this blatantly obvious, but the funny thing was seeing her pregnant, all I could think that was running through her mind was “Fuck, why did I have to speak up just now, when for once, in my carrying this child, I could have slipped into the background and had an easy pregnancy, but now I’m going to be working harder than I ever on this f-ing show!” Also, it was very weird to have Kevin graduate from college in musical theater and NOT be the one singing? I hope that he is going to get some regular numbers and hosting some gay nights at the Whyte Worm as he’ll probably be covering running the club while Toni’s out with the baby.

hloworld

Cherished Member
Media
I think that you are expecting way too much from this show in terms of everything. At this point in the show's run the story arcs have most likely been farmed out to the interns, so expect little to no quality storytelling. The decision to time jump is even more of an indication that the show is rudderless. The time jump is the classic last ditch effort to keep a show going that has jumped the shark and run out of steam. The show should have been ended when Cheryl's father committed suicide in the barn; that was the natural conclusion of the show. In those first 2 seasons they (the writers) could have done a lot more in terms of flashbacks and character development with Cheryl's murdered brother (and his relationship with Kevin which we never saw). If they wanted to play up the supernatural side of the show, they could have given Kevin psychic abilities to speak with the dead so we could have seen more from Cheryl's brother. It would have given Casey's character a purpose instead of leaving Kevin as the token gay relegated to the 57th min of every 7th episode, the fate of practically every gay character on television. Instead they went all slap dash lifting story lines from previous teen dramas (aka Dawson's Creek) with that music teacher/Archie fling copied almost verbatim from the pilot episode of Dawson's Creek despite it going nowhere and having no place or relevance in the context of Riverdale. Riverdale is now in exactly the same place Dawson's Creek was after the gang all graduated from high school. When the Capeside crowd went off to college the storytelling devolved into Joey & Pacey making faces at each other, banal story lines with college professors, wokey 'very special' episodes and just an overall malaise that put people to sleep and made them tune out. Expect to be similarly disappointed with Riverdale the college years as it seems pretty clear what the writers' source material is and will be.

I would also like to comment on the entertainment industry's willingness to include diverse/minority storylines. I have noticed this for a while, that Hollywood's courage for inclusion seems to evaporate the minute the political winds in Washington change. It is not a coincidence that Kevin's fate and the fate of all gay tv characters has been directly tied to the rise of the Trump administration and a fear of offending straight/conservative sensibilities. Tv executives falsely believe political control equates to cultural influence when in fact the opposite is true. Yet they use this false reasoning as a crutch to keep diversity off-screen. Now that the Trump era has passed, perhaps we will see more freedom and a willingness to tell under-represented stories again. If Kevin starts having a love life and gets more air time you will know why.

Zee19

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that you are expecting way too much from this show in terms of everything. At this point in the show's run the story arcs have most likely been farmed out to the interns, so expect little to no quality storytelling. The decision to time jump is even more of an indication that the show is rudderless. The time jump is the classic last ditch effort to keep a show going that has jumped the shark and run out of steam. The show should have been ended when Cheryl's father committed suicide in the barn; that was the natural conclusion of the show. In those first 2 seasons they (the writers) could have done a lot more in terms of flashbacks and character development with Cheryl's murdered brother (and his relationship with Kevin which we never saw). If they wanted to play up the supernatural side of the show, they could have given Kevin psychic abilities to speak with the dead so we could have seen more from Cheryl's brother. It would have given Casey's character a purpose instead of leaving Kevin as the token gay relegated to the 57th min of every 7th episode, the fate of practically every gay character on television. Instead they went all slap dash lifting story lines from previous teen dramas (aka Dawson's Creek) with that music teacher/Archie fling copied almost verbatim from the pilot episode of Dawson's Creek despite it going nowhere and having no place or relevance in the context of Riverdale. Riverdale is now in exactly the same place Dawson's Creek was after the gang all graduated from high school. When the Capeside crowd went off to college the storytelling devolved into Joey & Pacey making faces at each other, banal story lines with college professors, wokey 'very special' episodes and just an overall malaise that put people to sleep and made them tune out. Expect to be similarly disappointed with Riverdale the college years as it seems pretty clear what the writers' source material is and will be.

I would also like to comment on the entertainment industry's willingness to include diverse/minority storylines. I have noticed this for a while, that Hollywood's courage for inclusion seems to evaporate the minute the political winds in Washington change. It is not a coincidence that Kevin's fate and the fate of all gay tv characters has been directly tied to the rise of the Trump administration and a fear of offending straight/conservative sensibilities. Tv executives falsely believe political control equates to cultural influence when in fact the opposite is true. Yet they use this false reasoning as a crutch to keep diversity off-screen. Now that the Trump era has passed, perhaps we will see more freedom and a willingness to tell under-represented stories again. If Kevin starts having a love life and gets more air time you will know why.
Definitely wouldn't doubt it. But let's face it, the CW in particular has been pretty crappy with gay male characters falling into the barely there quality while flourishing for lesbian characters. Not that it isnt a huge step since that year the killed off all their existing LGBT characters on multiple shows withing the same season, but gay male characters have remained lower tier representation. But then again, it's not all that surprising consider lesbian characters are the more acceptable on the LGBT representation spectrum.

Reactions: icabal

Maligce

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Definitely wouldn't doubt it. But let's face it, the CW in particular has been pretty crappy with gay male characters falling into the barely there quality while flourishing for lesbian characters. Not that it isnt a huge step since that year the killed off all their existing LGBT characters on multiple shows withing the same season, but gay male characters have remained lower tier representation. But then again, it's not all that surprising consider lesbian characters are the more acceptable on the LGBT representation spectrum.
I would say lesbians are mostly fetishized actually and also gay men. It really depends on the network or country because there are some shows with good representation for both but a lot of the time a show can suffer from straight people fetishsizing both of them

Zee19

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well...I called it, mostly. I'm just gonna mentally focus on this sauna scene, and not on the continuous character assassination of one Kevin Keller. IMG_20210317_203623.jpg

Attachments