CPAP machines

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I recently had a sleep study done and was declared a borderline severe case of sleep apnea. Does anyone here use one of the machines and what do you think about it? It looks like I will be starting to use one soon and would like some input on what to expect.

From what the doctor says and some of the things I have read using one of the machines can be a life-changing event. Please, someone let me know what you think.

Thank you

EL_Duderino

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
im not really familiar with this machine. will it help you to sleep better? sometimes i feel like i just am not sleeping long enough at all. i wake up early at the same time every morning no matter how long i slept through out the night. and lately i've been thinking it might be effecting me.

bluemountain

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
CPAP (Contineous Possitive Airway Pressure) is a device that delivers oxygen into the lungs by force. Apnea is the term used when someone is not breathing. During your sleep you quit breathing and reduce the amount of oxygen in your system. This device will the necessary O2 needed for your body. CPAP is also great for patient with congestive heart failure. The forced air opens the lungs and reduces the fluid build up which results in CHF. Those who use this machine love it and makes them fell much better. Good luck.

EL_Duderino

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ahhhh ooops i knew it sounded familiar but i guess i thought it was something else. i have a friend with this problem actually. i hope i breath ok in my sleep.

Jean Deaux

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have slept in one of the devices for many years. It works and I can't do without it. On the other hand, it is a pain in the ass sometimes.

In a former life, I travelled (business) a lot. It was an inconvenience to pack and unpack each night in whatever city I happend to be sleeping. If you fly, you will want to pack it in a checked bag because our guardians at the airport will make you take it out of the handy-dandy carrying case or carry on and even sometimes assemble it for them. (This tends to really irritate all the folk in the stock gate behind you.)

Having said that, if you do have Apnea, it will change your life, literally. I may also allow you to continue to live. A true moderate to severe sufferer from Apnea is litterally dying many times during the night. He or she stops breathing, the heart slows down due to oxygen starvation, blood flow slows and the body is actually moving toward slipping into that last long goodnight.

Use of the machine forces air, not oxygen into the nasal passages and into the lungs. Since the mask is worn over the mouth and nose, the uvala (sp?) is kept in place so one doesn't snore as loudly, if at all. Often when one lies flat aback, the uvula drops down and partially blocks the airways.

Results: you will feel like a new person when you wake up. You will realize that you probably have not had a good nights rest in forever, and wonder how you ever did without a CPAP.

Downside, it totally cuts down on conversation after you put it on. If you try to talk, it will sound a lot like Daffy Duck. You can raise the mask to talk, but it is best to just wait until you are ready to sleep before putting it in place. Additionally, one is almost required to sleep flat on your back so if you are a side or stomach sleeper, it may take a while to adjust.

It took me about a week to make most adjustment, and a month or so to get comfortable with the process. Still, I sometimes wake up with the facemask pressing too hard and find that I have rolled over in my sleep and have it in an uncomfortable position.

A lot of information to be sure, but if you need one I would recommend that you get it. Apnea can lead to a heart attach. The loud grunting and tossing you are probably experience is your brains way of telling you to wake up and breath or I am going to shut down all systems and you won't wake at all.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I had a friend who had used the CPAP machine his wasn't connected to an oxygen supply. He did tell me that in some cases they can do an operation to place a stent (a device that keeps the airway open. Unfortunately in his case it was not an option It may be worthwhile talking to your consultant to see if this is an alternative option for you

Good luck and do keep us posted of your progress

Regards

Smartalk

suprdave

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i've been on one for 4 1/2 years, the first piece of advice is do your research and find a good machine with a heated humidifier. there are alot of different machines out there and they all make a difference, some alot more than others, research.

try to decide what machine you want and stick to it, your doc, the insurance co. and the person that actually gives you the machine will try to tell you that you dont need all that fancy stuff, dont believe it, the co. that supplies the machine gets one set price(the most expensive one) from insurance then try to sell you the cheap one and make a huge profit. demand what you want.

being severe apnea they may want you on oxygen, if so you get an oxygen generator and run a hose to the cpap. no smoking near oxygen, it makes a cigarette look like a roman candle lol.

the most important thing with cpap is the mask, get 1 or 2 that fit find the best of the 2. that was the hardest thing, trying to find one that fit and didnt leak. if your prone to colds you will need a full face mask, cant breath if your nose is stuffed up.

i can tell you it will be rough in the begining, getting a machine you like,a mask that doesnt leak, then the emotional part of having that thing strapped to your face but it will get better and you will feel like a new person.

i cant preach enough, this thing is saving your life, dont take no for an answer.

i dont know if they allow links on here but everything you need to know can be found on www.cpaptalk,com alot of very good people and information. they have machine reviews,mask reviews and tons and tons of advice. check it out, your not alone.

so welcome future hosehead, if you have any questions, please contact me, i will help any way i can.

runrunrun

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congrats on taking the sleep study & finding that you have sleep apnea. I didn't find out I had it until I had major problems from it. CPAP is fantastic but a bit hard to get used to at beginning. Check out the various types of "masks". Some cover nose (best I find) with an "outrigger" that pushes off of forehead. Others fit onto nostrils but that feels different (like forcing air into nose rather than breathing in the wind). Keep adjusting until you are comfortable. If you are on pressure above 11 or 12 you will probably need the one with heated humidifier as it can dry out nostrils. I have had very little problems at airports if carried in carryon bags. You will be surprised how many people use them. The insurance carriers let you replace machine every 3-4 years and do it as they keep getting smaller - tho not lighter. And for traveling or a couple nights away from machine you might try getting a dental thingee that helps instead of CPAP. And always pack an extension cord just in case outlet is across room from your bed.
Finally the impact of the CPAP is amazing in just a week or so. Less scatterbrained, better short term memory, no need for several coffees a day to stat awake, you can drive without feeling tired, etc. Only wish I could get a scuba certification using mine so much! And really finally - use it religiously - it can save your life (a racing heart due to apnea is not good & I'd fear a heart attack in sleep if not controlled with CPAP) & life of others (many a car has run off road or crossed median when driver fell asleep at wheel - I have had too many close encounters before CPAP).

Hope this helps.

runrunrun

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congrats on taking the sleep study & finding that you have sleep apnea. I didn't find out I had it until I had major problems from it. CPAP is fantastic but a bit hard to get used to at beginning. Check out the various types of "masks". Some cover nose (best I find) with an "outrigger" that pushes off of forehead. Others fit onto nostrils but that feels different (like forcing air into nose rather than breathing in the wind). Keep adjusting until you are comfortable. If you are on pressure above 11 or 12 you will probably need the one with heated humidifier as it can dry out nostrils. I have had very little problems at airports if carried in carryon bags. You will be surprised how many people use them. The insurance carriers let you replace machine every 3-4 years and do it as they keep getting smaller - tho not lighter. And for traveling or a couple nights away from machine you might try getting a dental thingee that helps instead of CPAP. And always pack an extension cord just in case outlet is across room from your bed.
Finally the impact of the CPAP is amazing in just a week or so. Less scatterbrained, better short term memory, no need for several coffees a day to stat awake, you can drive without feeling tired, etc. Only wish I could get a scuba certification using mine so much! And really finally - use it religiously - it can save your life (a racing heart due to apnea is not good & I'd fear a heart attack in sleep if not controlled with CPAP) & life of others (many a car has run off road or crossed median when driver fell asleep at wheel - I have had too many close encounters before CPAP).

Hope this helps.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
to everyone who has replied I thank you so much. Will give progress reports, along the way.

PS: I think I need to change that WE WON. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
My father has been using one of these for several years. He's a stubborn and cantankerous sort so the fact that he's still using it suggests quite strongly to me that it's worked wonders for him. If he hadn't seen a marked improvement, he would definitely have stopped using it long ago.

Steve

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sucks that the surgery wasn't an option.....I had the surgery. I hated the machine and couldn't deal with it AT ALL. Then again I move around a lot in my sleep and the CPAP made me feel tied down. Lots of people use them though and it does take some adjustment. It will work for you though and you'll feel much better.

Last edited:

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hello Florida,

My b/f has been on one now for a couple of years. Before he got it, he used to awake often with a grunt and was a snorer like you would not believe. His simply forces air as explained above and he has a humidifier on it (distilled water) that keeps your passages from drying out. He swears by it and said he hadn't had a good sleep for years; once he got this machine (he was also tested in a sleep lab) and slept the first night, he awoke much more refreshed and said he actually remembered dreaming which he hadn't done in a long time due to never reaching REM sleep.

As his b/f I can certainly see the difference it made. For one, NO MORE SNORING!! His snore you could literally hear in the next room! That is totally gone. In the morning he looks totally rested, not worn out like before.

Hope it goes well for you!

Honey123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Florida Boy. I have a CPAP too and I can really tell the difference when I am using it. I have had four masks and the only one that comfortably lets me roll over and sleep on my side goes across my face somewhat like an oxygen mask. Find out how much the insurance covers - I had to replace my unit recently and the out of pocket was about $500 after what the insurance covered.

This is what I have now: Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillows Mask with Headgear

This one was doable but had a small point where the top and main parts met that broke when my son sat on it. The second one broke one night when I was taking it off after about 6 months of use. There is a version of this mask that has nasal pillows. Mirage Activa Nasal Mask with Headgear

This one felt like someone had their fingers in my nose. Breeze SleepGear Nasal Mask with Headgear

Don't be fooled by the online prices. They charge you and your insurance company $400 or more for each of these masks and the CPAP hardware (unit and humidifier) is anywhere from $1500 to 2500 depending on what they can get away with from your insurance company. If you are self paying because the insurance won't cover it don't expect them to drop the price either unless you are willing to haggle or walk out with the prescription to buy it online.

Last edited:

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just replaced my mask. I prefer the full face masks because at nite I tend to breath through my mouth most of the time. At first it took awhile to get used to using the machine and mask,first mask was a over the nose only and I didn't like it because with the pressure it blew my mouth open kinda. Now I can't sleep comfortably without my mask. Anyways I went with the respironics comfortgel full face mask. so far I love it feels like no mask on hardly at all. What I really love about it is that it has the co2 vent on the curved connection part which doesn't make to much noise or blow into my eyes. Dry eyes a hasard I haven't noticed anyone mention yet. Now I'm looking into a new machine as mine is quiet old. I want one that I can travel with and has a humidfier Any suggestions? I