Does menopause scare you?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by londonhanger, Jul 10, 2010.

1. londonhanger

londonhanger Active Member

Albums:
    I guess it has potential to change the sexual side of your relationship, especially if one or both partners has a high sex drive.

As a guy, I can't imagine one day having my sexual appetite change.

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

No.

It doesn't scare me. It's a natural thing - it comes to all of us who are lucky to live long enough.

Both men and women have natural changes in their sexual appetites, needs and wants - Perhaps it is fair to say that this happens more to women than men. We have a monthly hormonal cycles, we have pregnancy and post-partum changes and those are just the ones that most women have in common before menopause comes along.

I think by the time women get to menopause they are kind of used to it.

Not to mention that menopause effects different women differently.

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't even thought about it to be honest. I still have a ton of time before I should have to think about it. Until then I have the other natural cycles to deal with. I agree with MB that as a woman I am used to dealing with all the hormone fluctuations I have naturally now that hopefully menopause will be just a drop in the bucket of life.

4. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's too late for me to be afraid, it's upon me! The hot flashes are a bit of bother, but having fewer periods has greatly relieved the endometriosis. I had been praying for years for this. As for sex drive, it's totally unrelated and not leaving. In fact, being in less pain allows me more times to feel lust.

5. dolfette

Gold Member

the sex bit is the least of my worries!
    this is like puberty in reverse and i'm terrible for hormone induced moods. i'm far more worried about it changing my whole damn personality than i am about rejecting a bit of todger.

6. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

I tend to walk in my mother's footsteps in so many things, and it was terrible watching her moods change from laughing to crying, and crying to ranting. I wouldn't want to be like that, but then it's not my choice. Just hope, people around me will have some understanding.

I have never had any PMS symptoms, so sometimes I optimistcally think, that maybe I'm going to be lucky twice. We'll see, it's not so far away anymore.

7. dolfette

Gold Member

*shudder*
    that's a far more real issue to me.
    that and lowering bone density and all the other health risks.

not that i worry about it though. i just look after my body and hope to ride it out well.
    i've no idea what my mother would be like through menopause, because she had a radical hysterectomy when i was 6.

8. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I'm not scared of menopause at the moment, but then I'm only 30. Maybe I'll feel different as the time gets closer.

9. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    My wife (42) is going through menopause from her hysterectomy a couple of years ago. It's no joy for her. She had adenomyosis,

One discovery she made last week was a company that made nightgowns from sweat wicking fabric. I can get the name from her if you're interested. Cool stuff, she can sleep a lot better now.

10. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks anyway, but I just get up and change to a dry one. No big deal. And with the endo, I had the hormonal baseless mood clouds anyway. They are actually easing.

Dolfette, eat yogurt and cabbage and other greens! They are good for the tum and good for calcium. I actually get cravings for them now.

11. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

I'm not sure if I understood this, but cravings, would it then be something like in pregnancy?

My gyn, wants me to have hysterectomy, because the hormonal spiral which should be ok for 5 to even 8 years, I have to change in 2 years. I don't know yet. Thought about it for a long time, but I'm still not ok with the thought of having my womb removed.

12. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes. Plus, the organisms in viillia and sauerkraut are very helpful.

It depends what reasons you have to keep your womb. Did you want a family? Most doctors think it is worse to remove it because your body needs the hormones for general health. Those who have a hysterectomy need to take supplements of hormones.

There is history in my family of uterine cancer, but it wasn't enough to get them to take my womb. And even though I had the endo, I was still fertile. The recovery after pregnancy was harder though. Unless you truly do not want children, don't take out your womb. It's not like an appendix.

13. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

My mum had a hysterectomy some years ago because of precancerous cells. She also had really heavy periods that she was glad to get rid of. She thought the results were fantastic and wished she'd done it years earlier.

14. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    subgirrl, she'd already had her babies! One of my cousins with endo did the same, had her hysterectomy once the children were arrived. She's very happy. But my family was started considerably later than hers, when I was nearly forty.

15. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

I have no children, and 44 years of age, it's jus too late. I got the spiral half price because its medical treatment to me against heavy menstruation. That is what I mean, when I'm saying the spiral is not working as it should. 7,5 years I was ok with it, just a few small spots in my pantyliners, but now worst, 37 days in a row is just not nice.

16. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Those devices can cause pelvic inflammatory disease. If you think it's too late for children it is not too late to get the spiral removed and other form of birth control. I did well on 'the pill'. It reduced my menstruation very nicely.

17. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Actually even though she definitely wasn't having any more kids my mum still felt a bit strange doing it. She was thinking 'what if I change my mind about having more babies?'. But in the end she was very happy with her decision.

18. MickeyLee

Gold Member

not really. i'm kinda looking forward to being a big old Dyke Daddy :smile:

if hormone replacement/hysterectomy was something i couldn't avoid i'd opt for testosterone and transition.

i figure 50+ years as a woman is enough time to explore this side of the fence. i'll get a crock-pot-science cock, see what it's like in manland. by the time i hit 50 you should be able to buy a dick in a vending machine, or at least have one grown.... probably in Amsterdam.

would be a bad-ass vacation.

#18 MickeyLee, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted