dog question

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by catman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. catman

Gold Member

buddy of mine also has a bassett hound...his is 14 (who thinks he is 4...) but he is moving into a new home that is all hardword floors.

The dog isn't '100% house trained' and he is terrified of soaked new floors..(his solution has been there is a spot in the kitchen that is 'okay' to pee...an he simply mops/etc...)

but at 14 can you teach an old dog new tricks? he has considered putting up a 'child gate' to keep the dog in the tiled areas (kitchen,etc) when he is at work but being a bassett...there will be massive howling...(our 2 bassetts have been known to duet on occasion....funny but not to new neighbors).

I have no idea for this guy...

suggestions?

2. DanTheMan

DanTheMan New Member

They dogs can always learn if taught properly. I'd be more worried about nails on the hardwood than the pee.

3. Incocknito

Gold Member

Your friend needs to watch some episodes of The Dog Whisperer.

Does he let the dog do what it wants and never discipline it? It should have been house trained in year 1.

The fear of anything should also have been sorted by now. In their natural environment, dogs aren't fearful.

Your friend should try taking his dog for a long walk (45 mins minimum) or a run and then walking him (with the dog behind him) onto the floor which he is scared of.

If the dog tries to run away, don't allow him to. Don't talk to him and especially don't give a dog affection when it is in a fearful state.

Also, dogs are supposed to be walked at least twice a day, preferably three times. For 45 mins to half an hour at least.

Not walking dogs enough or not walking them properly is the cause of a lot of behavioural problems.

4. catman

Gold Member

The dog isn't afraid (I don't think so....)

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My dog has been house trained since she was seven months old. When she was a puppy I took her out every two hours 24/7. When I was at work I confined her to the kitchen (which she hated). I would allow her more access to the whole apartment as she demonstrated her ability to behave. My advice is to walk the dog right before leaving for work and buying something called a wee-wee pad so that if the dog has to go he knows that is the spot when no one is home.

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Dogs can be taught and trained at any age. I would suggest buying some puppy training pads and putting these in an area where the dog spends a lot of time - such as near to but not right next to his or her bed. Reward for good work and a dominant assertive owner are the key to training dogs with "bad habits".

7. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I suggest he start setting aside money to replace the floor.

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any dog can learn new tricks, Check w/Warren Eckstein the pet physcologistbehaviorist on WOR710a.m. I listen every week and his show are archived on the site, There isnt anythig that can't be done! And you can listen on the net.

#8 HellsKitchenmanNYC, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  9. puslover

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Is there a possibility he can become an outside dog? That would be my solution. Hounds are outside dogs anyway so he may like it. I am personally not at all a fan of Hounds having worked in the veterinary field for 4 years. the howling is just too much for me, another plus for making him an outside dog for me. Another "option" is considering his age, he his fairly old for his breed. your friend can just pen him up in the kitchen/tiled areas and "wait it out." Sorry if the last statement is harsh but that is my honest thought. Hope what ever he decides works out

10. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    Next time he pees on the floor kick him in his fucking balls and throw him the hell outside.

11. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think with a 14 yr old dog its just a little 'mean' to try and impose Human expectations on him
    I feel the owner has taken the dog on .. and should live with the consequences .. how he has been..whatever amount of time in its life
    MAYBE it has a Urinary infection?

Bit old-ish i reckon to be retraining the poor thing.
    Retrain the owners...they say.
    enz

--had a couple of Red Setters and ALL the wise ass,ess said i was a fool''cant train em..
    Bullshit..from a pup he was trained (without expert books nor knowledge)--firm discipline and they respect ya..
    and ya give that respect back with love n all.etc etc...
    Partners older?? 5yr old female..was a real BITCH..taught my dog BAD habits..good age to retrain Her..ha

12. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

How about someone do that to you for making such a ridiculous comment?

I find it hard to believe that you work in the veterinary field.
    Dogs who are left outside chained and tied down tend to have socialization problems. If you think this is the proper way to treat an animal then perhaps you might try it for a few hours and see how it feels. I take it you are'nt in the vet field anymore?

Is this a joke? Hardwood floors will stand up to most conditions including urination.
    There is no reason he will have to replace the floors.

These posts are the reason why some folks shouldn't own animals.
    It seems to me that your friend never took the time or made the effort to properly housebreak his dogs. It is never too late to train a dog to do anything if you spend the time to do it. You would never need to confine a dog if they is put on a scheduled feeding time. I have never had to pen up my dogs at any time because I made the time to train and feed them on a schedule. It is not the answer to all problems but it helps greatly to let your dog know what is expected of them and when.
    No dog should be chained up outside alone in a pen,dogs are social animals and are most content being around others,their "families"!
    Please have your friend find a licensed trainer who can take the time to show your pal how and what needs to be done. If not please call a breed specific rescue to take the dogs and hopefully they will find a decent home for the remainder of their lives.
    I know this sounds harsh but the responses from some of you is really beyond belief.
    C.B.:saevil:

#12 B_cigarbabe, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  13. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dear Cigarbabe,

Urine soaks through wood eventually. The acids in urine can eat through wood finishings and and then permanently reside in the wood fibers.

One of my closest friends replaced not only the hardwood floors, but also the baseboards in a house she recently bought. It took three visits from urine detectives to locate the urine sources. THey even had to remove some of the underlying concrete in the dining roon.

Also, see this commentary on the subject.

I hate carpets, so I only have hardwood floors. Having cared for hardwood floors for many years, I think I have a faint idea of what I'm talking about.

NP

14. dolfette

Gold Member

has he taken the dog to the vet? it could be that it has physiological reasons for not being able to hold it in.

you can get puppy training pads for it to pee on.
    you can use specially designed sprays to get the smell out to prevent re-peeing.
    you can get a 'pee stick' for the garden, to teach him where to go.
    you can investigate if this is a dominance issue, or due to separation anxiety.

but first you take him to the vet.

15. puslover

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

How about, I love to be outside so a few hours would be quite fine. second, where do you think dogs came from...Outside. It is neither cruel nor unusual to have an outdoor dog. Mine is always outside...never in the house. Her social skills a superb because i have trained her well. So I do believe i am knowledgable in the field of veterinary medicine.

Also being involved in Carpet cleaning and restoration, I have seen many hardwood floors damaged by pet urination stains.

also...could it be a UTI, yes but the urine spots are usually only dripples or very small amounts and often tinged red because of blood. A drug such as baytril or clavamox could help but from the description, i dought an infection. He could be incontinent and the vet could recommend phenylpropanolamine for it. This drug will help by tightening the lower portion of the Urinary bladder, the Trigone.

#15 puslover, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  16. dolfette

Gold Member

i have a qualification in dog behaviour and i agree.
    an outdoor dog can be a happy dog. it just takes a little effort.
    if master is at work then the dog will be just as alone in the house as it is outside...but without the same mental stimulation.
    it doesn't suit all dogs. my pooch just wants to be in the house.
    lots of working dogs live outside. the training and stimulation they get is far healthier for their minds than lounging on the sofa.

17. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Quote/Dolfette
    has he taken the dog to the vet? it could be that it has physiological reasons for not being able to hold it in.

you can get puppy training pads for it to pee on.
    you can use specially designed sprays to get the smell out to prevent re-peeing.
    you can get a 'pee stick' for the garden, to teach him where to go.
    you can investigate if this is a dominance issue, or due to separation anxiety.

but first you take him to the vet.

Good advice Dolfette!

Anyone who would keep a dog chained,tied,or penned alone in a yard shouldn't have a dog in my opinion unless you are a kennel or might be rescuing or boarding dogs why leave them out?
    Why have one if not to be a companion to you and your family?
    Puslover, if her social skills are so superb why the need to keep her outside away from the "family"? Also you were'nt advocating having the dog out for a few hours in your previous post.
    Besides having a possible medical problem there is no reason for an a dog to continue urinating on your floors.
    Not Puny if the the animal your friend kept was trained and housebroken would they have a need to replace the floor?
    I'm also curious as to why they would allow the urine to soak through the carpet to the hardwood floors anyway?
    C.B.:saevil:

18. dolfette

Gold Member

some dogs just prefer to be outside, hon.
    my mother kept a german shepherd, a mastiff and a wolfhound.
    the shepherd & hound we indoor dogs but the mastiff just wanted to be outside.
    so they set up a shed, with raised bedding, and constant access to their well fenced gardens.
    given the choice to be out or in, the other two dogs decided they would rather be outside with their buddy too!

this mastiff was a wonderful, friendly, well behaved dog...who happened to love the sights, sounds & smells of the garden.
    he, quite literally, went through a door when he was left indoors.

inside a house doesn't offer as much stimulation to an animal that sees through it's nose. outside it can hear and smell the world around it for a great distance...way better than tv.

and much as we love and pamper them, they're not children. they're animals.

an outdoor dog doesn't have to be chained up and neglected.
    it can have luxury sleeping quarters and the freedom to roam large, well fenced areas. as long as there's adequate attention and training given then it's fine...especially if it has other animals for company.

you need to get past the knee jerk reaction.

19. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted