Dumped by Text?

Explorer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When my current bf and I first got together and I felt as though the relationship really wasn't going to work out, I put together what I thought was a really good and heartfelt email explaining those issues and wished him all the best, etc...

About an hour later I got a call from him blasting me out about how impersonal an email was and that I should atleast have the balls to breakup with him face to face, lol...

So to make a long story short, an email can be an impersonal way to breakup with someone but if you and that person have gotten to that "fuck you" stage then why not...

silentview

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my girlfriend and I had a really tumultuous start to our relationship. over last Christmas break I had found out she was seeing her boyfriend whom she had dumped when I met her. she wasn't sure what she'd wanted so we split while we were already apart for the holidays.
we broke up with a series of texts ranging from "hey why haven't you been talking with me", "I found out, and this is it", "I'm not waiting for classes to resume for you to dump me".
fortunately we got the chance to start things over again and its been the best relationship I have ever been in, totally solid through and through.

Last edited:

B_Bonky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I did once a couple of years ago. Another girl in college I told my friend to tell her. Kinda sad, but the relationships had been dwindling anyway so it wasn't like it was a big surprise. And I just couldn't be arsed to get together or call them just so I could stop seeing them.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got a break-up email from my then gf after we had dated for seven months. Never saw it coming, totally caught me off guard. I think it's totally chicken shit to hide behind a computer or phone. We're suppose to be adults, why can't people act like it and just face the person and talk things out?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have any of you ever been dumped from a relationship by phone text?.

Or have any of you dumped a relationship by text?.
No, that's a new thing invented by you younger folk, who apparently have no manners or empathy for others. Sorry, but the concept of someone 35+ dumping someone via e-mail is weird. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I bet it's rare.

As for e-mail dumping, that is equally wrong. I had a guy do that after dating me for 12 years! :angryfire2: :261:

Last edited:

djsparty

Just Browsing
Media
Yes. It's a shitty thing to do, but it seems pretty common at several levels. I have had employees text a co-worker to tell the boss they wouldn't be there that day and employees text that they quit. To stereotype a bit, if you are under 30 you probably don't think it's that bad. Unfortunately there are more and more people that want to take the easy way out by not owning up to their actions face to face.

That said, two quick related breakup stories.

1. True story. I was told by a friend that my girlfriend of 2 years wanted to break up with me. I asked how he knew. His response, "I've been fucking her since you left for college and we are happy." That pretty much ended that relationship, but I did make her say it face-to-face.

2. A good friend of mine was known for choosing the wrong girls. Usually within a month he was looking at rings. He dated one for about 6 months and got engaged. We were at his place playing dominoes one night when the phone rang. A roommate answered and said, "James, your former fiance is in the drive way to give you back your ring. If you are not our there in 30 seconds she is throwing it into the yard. Oh, by the way she wants to break up with you."

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Yes. It's a shitty thing to do, but it seems pretty common at several levels. I have had employees text a co-worker to tell the boss they wouldn't be there that day and employees text that they quit. To stereotype a bit, if you are under 30 you probably don't think it's that bad. Unfortunately there are more and more people that want to take the easy way out by not owning up to their actions face to face.

That said, two quick related breakup stories.

1. True story. I was told by a friend that my girlfriend of 2 years wanted to break up with me. I asked how he knew. His response, "I've been fucking her since you left for college and we are happy." That pretty much ended that relationship, but I did make her say it face-to-face.

2. A good friend of mine was known for choosing the wrong girls. Usually within a month he was looking at rings. He dated one for about 6 months and got engaged. We were at his place playing dominoes one night when the phone rang. A roommate answered and said, "James, your former fiance is in the drive way to give you back your ring. If you are not our there in 30 seconds she is throwing it into the yard. Oh, by the way she wants to break up with you."

I understand what you say, my pal and his collegues were all texted by their boss who was in his fifties on the Friday night after they had finished work, telling them not to come in work Monday as they were all finished and their pay and P45's would be in the post.:frown1:

badgirl22

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry, but the concept of someone 35+ dumping someone via e-mail is weird. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I bet it's rare.

The one who just dumped me via text was 46. I am more hurt he did it by text than I am by actually being dumped. Hard to understand what happened when it's all based on text. Can't read tone or see expressions. Very easy to misread. So easy to hide behind a cell phone - tells a whole lot about character.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They don't want to see you get hurt, mad, or whatever. They are hiding from the real responsibility of facing you. They probably feel a little or very guilty. A straight friend dumped me 9 months ago through email; I tried responding through email, but don't know if he read it. But this is his third time, anyway, and he has dumped others so it is time to let it go.
So, where can I find a phoneless, computerless friend? Any Quakers wanna be friends?

B_Bonky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
or they just care so little about you that they don't give a rat's ass whether or not you feel bad about it.

Not saying it's right, just that it's true...