English learning thread!

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Hi English speakers!

I am not that fluent in English though I really love it! Poems, stories are often best conveyed in this language than my own language, in my opinion, though my language, Malay, I think is more "flowerish". So, in an effort to strengthen my English, I have some questions to ask. One is vocab question, another is grammar question.

1) I have been trying to search for this, but I don't seem to be able to find it. What is the term for people who keep falling for people's jokes?

2) Is "need" a modal verb too? Because I sometimes hear people say, "you need not say that". Is that a correct sentence?

I think you speak English very well, Lopo. And you're a very, very adorable young man, too.

Yes, "need" is a modal verb. "You need not say that" sounds good to me.

Perhaps you could say "lame" for someone who doesn't get another person's jokes. There may be even a better way to say this, too, but I can't think of any more right now.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Hi English speakers!

I am not that fluent in English though I really love it! Poems, stories are often better conveyed in this language than my own language, in my opinion, though my language, Malay, I think is more "flowery".
You know what, lopo? I too love English. Of course, it's my mother tongue, so my love is never far from me.
I have decided to make two corrections in your original post ... because, if you want help, every opportunity should be used.
I substituted 'better' for 'best' because there are only two things being compared ... Malay and English.
I put in 'flowery' instead of 'flowerish' because 'flowerish' really isn't a valid word in English.
I hope you don't mind.

FWIW, I agree with bigbull that your English is already surprisingly good. Your basic grammar is sound, and I have the impression that things are very real for you in English.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Turkish Lopo is an anagram for Hi Look Spurt
(perfect for first introducing oneself to someone here on LPSG)

also

Tush Oil Pork
I Pork Lo Tush
Oh I Pork Slut

among others :cool:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You ought to be studying your Turkish Lopo. :wink:

Yeah, you're right! But I have some Turkish friends here to help me with that. If I posted a thread about Turkish language, I'm sure it'll have zero replies. :)

What is a Turkish Lopo?

Lopo is my nickname in here, he was recommending me to learn Turkish language. :) By the way, the reply to your question has made me laugh so hard! You guys are funny...

I think you speak English very well, Lopo. And you're a very, very adorable young man, too.

Yes, "need" is a modal verb. "You need not say that" sounds good to me.

Perhaps you could say "lame" for someone who doesn't get another person's jokes. There may be even a better way to say this, too, but I can't think of any more right now.

Aww, thank you... *blushing* But still I think there a lot more that I have to improve (and yes, if I have some incorrect forms of anything like grammar or choice of word, please do correct me...

I was thinking of lame, but there was a word that I always used before, and it was answered by the earlier poster, the word was gullible... :)

You know what, lopo? I too love English. Of course, it's my mother tongue, so my love is never far from me.
I have decided to make two corrections in your original post ... because, if you want help, every opportunity should be used.
I substituted 'better' for 'best' because there are only two things being compared ... Malay and English.
I put in 'flowery' instead of 'flowerish' because 'flowerish' really isn't a valid word in English.
I hope you don't mind.

FWIW, I agree with bigbull that your English is already surprisingly good. Your basic grammar is sound, and I have the impression that things are very real for you in English.

Thank you senor rubirosa... :)

Yes, I don't mind, really... Please correct me in all occasions, even in other thread, well, if you want to... :) Thank you for the correction. I forgot that we have to use superlative comparison if between two objects... And I always thought it's "flowerish", hmm, I always knew it that I had the tendency to make up new words...lol

By the way, you guys are so funny! You have made this forum feel so alive and exciting! I should put this forum as top-websites to visit everytime I'm online...:biggrin1:

By the way, another question, why does the computer put the red line under the word "everytime"? Is the word supposed to have a gap? Or is a computer a very unreliable source of English learning?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Lopo is my nickname on here, he was recommending that I learn the Turkish language.

I think there is a lot more that I have to improve

Please correct me on all occasions, even in other threads, well, if you want to... :) Thank you for the correction. I forgot that we have to use the comparative if between two objects...

By the way, you guys are so funny! You have made this forum feel so alive and exciting! I should put this forum as top-websites to visit every time I'm online...:biggrin1:

By the way, another question, why does the computer put the red line under the word "everytime"? Is the word supposed to have a gap?
Yes.
There is no such word as "everytime."
It is not like "everyone."

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You guys made me laugh again... I wish we were to meet personally...

Thanks again Senor Rubirosa... Seriously, thank you...

Now I feel kinda dumb... *sigh... My fault not paying attention in English classes before...

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You guys made me laugh again... I wish we were to meet personally...

Thanks again Senor Rubirosa... Seriously, thank you...

Now I feel kinda dumb... *sigh... My fault not paying attention in English classes before...

My Spanish skills should be better considering I had it as a school subject for several years. Your English is far better than my Spanish.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Now I feel kinda dumb... *sigh... My fault for not paying attention in English classes before...

You're a funny case, lopo.
Yes, you make small errors ... but they offer no impediment to understanding you.
I get the feeling that your English is quite 'grounded.'
You would be easy to speak with and I would understand you without problem.
And if you were in an all-English environment for a year or two, most of the errors would fade away.

Did you have someone in your early years who spoke English?

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My Spanish skills should be better considering I had it as a school subject for several years. Your English is far better than my Spanish.

Well, thank you but still, it's not as good ad you guys... When reading posts in this forum, I can say I have to read them severel times before I could completely understand what you guys are talking about...

Now, for the sake of fun, let me rewrite what you said above Malay way...

"Mai spenish skills shud bi better konsidering ai hed it es a skul sabjek for several yers. Yor inglish is far better den my spenish...hehe..."

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You're a funny case, lopo.
Yes, you make small errors ... but they offer no impediment to understanding you.
I get the feeling that your English is quite 'grounded.'
You would be easy to speak with and I would understand you without problem.
And if you were in an all-English environment for a year or two, most of the errors would fade away.

Did you have someone in your early years who spoke English?

Actually I didn't have anyone to speak English with me in my early years. I only started speaking in this language when I was 18, when I began my university years, and now I am 23. Although I have been learning English since high school, the teachers were not so good because my school was a 'village' kind of school, very small and the teachers were also people from the school, hired only due to their own convenience and availability, not by their own qualifications. But the English teachers in my high school were the ones who taught me the basics like "how are you?", or "where do you live?" so, I owed them a lot. Other than the classes, I never spoke English outside.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You must have a talent for learning languages, then, lopo.

Not really... I believe the major reason why I can speak now is the medium of language in my former university was English. So whether I like it or not, I have to improve your English...

Anyways, Senor Rubirosa (I'm liking your nickname), I remember before you corrected me when I said, "there are a lot to improve" and you corrected it to "there is a lot to improve". I thought the phrase "a lot" already means plural noun, so how do I know I use is or are for this phrase? Thank you again. :)