Exercise Motivation

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by MsThang, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
    Verified:
    Photo
    I canceled my gym membership and decided to start working out a home. The decision was made due to financial reasons. So I bought an exercise DVD with the intention of doing it in the morning. I have come to the conclusion that the only way this will happen is if someone pulls me by my hair out of bed, shoves a gun in my face and makes me work out. I lie to myself and say I will do it later. I need something to motivate me. I would love to hear what have you done to get yourself in the workout groove.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Go shopping for new blue jeans.............When I bring jeans to the fitting room in the size I think I am and find them all to be too small......that;s motivation enough for me.

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    What about working out with a friend? That used to help me. Whenever one of us didn't want to the other one would step up and force the other one to get to the park.

4. SR_Les Intercourse

SR_Les Intercourse New Member

work out first thing in the morning, make it a habit and youll do fine

5. kewlkid75

kewlkid75 Active Member

Albums:
    Not trying to be a smartass, but when i see my obese family and know the medical history and realized that if i didn't do somthing about it. I could be like that. It gives me tons of motivation. I have been working out for a year now, jogging, working out with Jillian DVD's and Body by Jake. I went from 240lbs to 173lbs and I look and feel great. Working out home is much better. Look at your family medical history, that what got me motivated.

6. D_Pomeroy Pokingstick

D_Pomeroy Pokingstick Account Disabled

Motivation for me comes from different places. I find a big modivation is when I see other people looking great, having results, etc. I tend to use visuals of fit people to give me the extra motivation, I find it can help, check out YouTube or other places like that (it could help you also)
    One of the reasons gyms can be a really motivating environment, they provide structure rather than a home workout but your right they can be very expensive.
    In the winter it's not as easy to get modivated since everyone can hide under bulky clothes and jackets, but when spring and summer roll around it's easy to feel like damn I really should have started working out harder months ago!

I cancelled my gym membership a while back, and am working out from home. Try setting up a calendar with workout times so you keep on track, I find it also helps.

#6 D_Pomeroy Pokingstick, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. cece

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am the world's No.1 best procrastinator when I comes to exercise! The only thing that works for me is having a workout buddy. That way you can motivate each other and have a reason to keep an appointment. Just don't team up with a workout buddy who is a lazier ass than yourself!!! :biggrin1:

8. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

Working out at home is the hardest thing for me, in the gym there is an obvious atmosphere so when you are there you are going to work out, simple as that.

The new XBOX Kinect seems very good as it makes it fun at the same time and you can track your progress, but financial reasons could restrict that.

SOme of the advice above is good. Buying clothes a size too small, doing it first thing etc. But it will only happen if you want the results badly enough.

Good luck.

9. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I don't know how it happened but one Saturday afternoon I came back from the gym and Cap said "Girl, you got a problem." And I guess I do, or did. I was going to the gym two and sometimes even three times a day. Every day! I am addicted to working out.

And I do it all. From aerobics to zumba, I have to try everything. OK, the kickboxing thing didn't turn out, but other than that.

When I lived in Atlanta I tried the home workout routine. It simply did not work out. It's not that I wasn't motivated, it's just that I didn't have the same satisfaction as when I actually went into the gym.

I will say that the reason I did it at home as that I was being stalked at the gym, and even after reporting the guy nothing was done. So I just quit.

I belong to the Y here, so it's very family-oriented, but it has women only classes and areas as well. And it's relatively inexpensive.

Oh, hubby bought a Wii Fit last year. Hilarious. He bought it to use instead of going to the gym. I use it in between visits sometimes. About two months after we bought it I got on and it asked me "Where's Cap? I haven't seen him in a while!"

BUSTED!

Draft saved Draft deleted