Florida

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BirdinMo, Mar 8, 2009.

1. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    So the end of July I am going to Florida, thinking Destin. I have heard alot of good things about it and it's not really far into Florida and because I will be driving I want to get out and enjoy it insted of being in a car. Any one know of any good places to go in Destin?

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know it's much further down the peninsula, but Ft Lauderdale has one of the largest concentrations of gays and lesbians in the country.

3. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    Well I will be with my brother and Sister in law as well. But not with them 100% of the time just going to the same place same time and we are looking for a few fun things to do besides the beach and shop. LOL. But to me nothing will be better then watching the sun go down behind the ocean. (Can you tell I have never been to the ocean?)

4. D_dollar a week

D_dollar a week New Member

5. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard that Destin can be nice, especially if you are straight and white. Bear in mind that many people in the south refer to the Florida panhandle as the "Redneck Riviera."
    It might be a few hours of additional driving but my suggestion is you consider going somewhere a bit more sophisticated. I used to live in St. Petersburg and it's a nice, laid back medium sized city. It has a beautiful downtown waterfront, a lively downtown, good restaurants, and nearby arts district. A lot of the landscaping is tropical. The Old Northeast neighborhood has miles of gorgeous bungalows. One very cool feature of the downtown is the Salvdor Dali museum housing the largest colection of his work. They have guided tours on the hour and the docents are generally very well informed and interesting. If you stay out on St. Pete Beach or Treasure Island, you will be on twenty three miles of the nicest beaches in the U.S.
    St. Pete is also reasonably convenient to Sarasota that has the Ringling Art Museum and the Ringling mansion along with another nice arts district. Skip Tampa.
    May I add that the sun sets in the west and the beaches of the Florida panhandle face south.
    Have fun and be sure to wear sunscreen! Lots of folks from the midwest severely underestimate the intensity of the sun. I also recommend staying out of the sun between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
    Dave

6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Your best bet to watch the sun set over the ocean is on the West coast of Florida, such as the Tampa/St. Pete. On the east coast of Florida you can see the sunrise ans then it goes over your head and sets in the west over land. In the panhandle you may be able to see some of the sunset. You will be situated south, but the sunset will be to the right of you.

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Too bad you weren't heading to the same place I am at the beginning of August. Have fun! and take lots of pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted