Feeling so happy for Danny, but so sad for Nyck at the same time
Absolutely horrible the way AT/RB handled this whole thing. Poor Nyck, hope he is surrounded by friend and family at the moment because good lord this is harsh and devastating....

Also genuinely wondering about Danny Ric accepting the seat to be honest.. Doubt he will suddenly outperform Yuki who has 3 years + half a season more experience than him and his flop at McLaren. If he underdelivers that also means the end of his career as well by the en of the season. No way he will come back from that.
 
Absolutely horrible the way AT/RB handled this whole thing. Poor Nyck, hope he is surrounded by friend and family at the moment because good lord this is harsh and devastating....

Also genuinely wondering about Danny Ric accepting the seat to be honest.. Doubt he will suddenly outperform Yuki who has 3 years + half a season more experience than him and his flop at McLaren. If he underdelivers that also means the end of his career as well by the en of the season. No way he will come back from that.
Agree that it is last-chance saloon for Danny Ric. After cockily saying he will show Lando how it's done his performance was pretty shoddy last year. 37 points compared to 122 for Lando Norris was quite embarrassing.

If he doesn't outscore Yuki from now until the end of the year his career in F1 will be as over as Nyck's...
 
  • Like
Reactions: RLD and nycdawg
It's so strange seeing Alpha Tauri not even give Nyck the decency of a goodbye post, just instantly 'oh hello welcome Danny Ric'.

While I don't think Daniel can really do much to impress with the worst car on the grid (Yuki has been doing great with his circumstances honestly, and I think this is his trial by fire to prove he is ready for Red Bull), I feel so rubbed the wrong way lol especially because of his fans celebrating Nyck getting dropped in his stead. Like I remember the hate Daniel's fans threw Oscar's way when he had to "replace" him after 2 underperforming seasons.
 
Wait whT
Absolutely horrible the way AT/RB handled this whole thing. Poor Nyck, hope he is surrounded by friend and family at the moment because good lord this is harsh and devastating....

Also genuinely wondering about Danny Ric accepting the seat to be honest.. Doubt he will suddenly outperform Yuki who has 3 years + half a season more experience than him and his flop at McLaren. If he underdelivers that also means the end of his career as well by the en of the season. No way he will come back from that
Wait what Danny has more experience than Yuki? He’s been in formula 1 for like more than ten years he was with alpha tauri when it was still toro Rosso then raced with vettel when he upgraded to redbull and was on the team when max went to redbull. Danny Ric got 8 gp’s on his belt I don’t think yuki has any…
 
It's so strange seeing Alpha Tauri not even give Nyck the decency of a goodbye post, just instantly 'oh hello welcome Danny Ric'.

While I don't think Daniel can really do much to impress with the worst car on the grid (Yuki has been doing great with his circumstances honestly, and I think this is his trial by fire to prove he is ready for Red Bull), I feel so rubbed the wrong way lol especially because of his fans celebrating Nyck getting dropped in his stead. Like I remember the hate Daniel's fans threw Oscar's way when he had to "replace" him after 2 underperforming seasons.
I wasn't a fan of McLaren replacing Danny for Oscar, but I never hated Oscar. It was a bummer for sure, but I was like "life goes on, maybe Danny will someday return" And now with Danny returning to RB (and now AlphaTauri) WHILE having Oscar on the grid with him makes me happy.

But then again, at the same time, I feel really bad for Nyck, especially after last year's Monza where he performed great in a shitbox like Williams. It makes me sad to think that AT dropped him all of a sudden, just because he wasn't performing well his first season. I hope someday Nyck will return. (and Mick too!)
 
Wait what Danny has more experience than Yuki? He’s been in formula 1 for like more than ten years he was with alpha tauri when it was still toro Rosso then raced with vettel when he upgraded to redbull and was on the team when max went to redbull. Danny Ric got 8 gp’s on his belt I don’t think yuki has any…
You're right, overall he has more experience. But Yuki has the experience of being in at AlphaTauri for 3.5 years for and having a big part in the way the car developed based on his feedback. Even he is struggling right now, which makes it even more clear why Nyck struggled, him being a F1 rookie, never having driven with the new cars/regulations before.

Daniel hasn't been succesful ever since he left Red Bull for Renault and he has been kind of flopping ever since. He never performed well in the renault and already left after 1 year. Then with McLaren he flopped as well, not coming near the performance and results Lando had, even in his second year there. And now he has been out of the seat for half the season already.

So if they don't even allow Nyck as a rookie a whole season (not even half a season) in a car that's bad, why on earth would Daniel go there? Do you really see him outperform Yuki? I fear this will be another flop and considering it only took a few months before they sacked a rookie who is allowed to make mistakes and deserves time to settle, it's not looking very bright for him as a veteran unless he really outdrives the car and basically humiliates Yuki.
 
I wasn't a fan of McLaren replacing Danny for Oscar, but I never hated Oscar. It was a bummer for sure, but I was like "life goes on, maybe Danny will someday return" And now with Danny returning to RB (and now AlphaTauri) WHILE having Oscar on the grid with him makes me happy.

But then again, at the same time, I feel really bad for Nyck, especially after last year's Monza where he performed great in a shitbox like Williams. It makes me sad to think that AT dropped him all of a sudden, just because he wasn't performing well his first season. I hope someday Nyck will return. (and Mick too!)
To be fair to Oscar he didn't come in all cocky to McLaren. He was quietly confident, focused very much on the team, and he has performed well so far this season. It's what a rookie driver should aim to do.

Nyck's problem at AlphaTauri is his age - he may be new to F1 but he is older to join it. He's 28 and there are 12 drivers younger than him on the grid including Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc and Lando Norris. I can understand the team not wanting to take 2-3 years for him to bed in to F1 like some of the younger drivers did.

It probably also didn't help him that in his intro to F1 press conference he was unnecessarily critical of his new teammate Yuki, saying that he would 'bring maturity' to the team where Yuki was only 'entertaining' and that he was not sure 'if it's wise to repeat or replicate' Yuki's actions so far. I'm pretty sure that on Drive to Survive Nyck also said he had nothing to learn from Yuki. I can imagine such comments only made Helmut Marko mark him harder. He set expectations about his own performance too high.
 
To be fair to Oscar he didn't come in all cocky to McLaren. He was quietly confident, focused very much on the team, and he has performed well so far this season. It's what a rookie driver should aim to do.

Nyck's problem at AlphaTauri is his age - he may be new to F1 but he is older to join it. He's 28 and there are 12 drivers younger than him on the grid including Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc and Lando Norris. I can understand the team not wanting to take 2-3 years for him to bed in to F1 like some of the younger drivers did.

It probably also didn't help him that in his intro to F1 press conference he was unnecessarily critical of his new teammate Yuki, saying that he would 'bring maturity' to the team where Yuki was only 'entertaining' and that he was not sure 'if it's wise to repeat or replicate' Yuki's actions so far. I'm pretty sure that on Drive to Survive Nyck also said he had nothing to learn from Yuki. I can imagine such comments only made Helmut Marko mark him harder. He set expectations about his own performance too high.
Yeah, I like how Oscar approached his entry to F1. He's so likeable imo (and cute).

And geez, I didn't know that Nyck was so critical of Yuki. Karma, I guess?