Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The bf is a big gamer especially when it comes to RPGs. I don't play games much but they usually fall under the map-editing, shooter or horror genres. We've been together for a few years and known each other for several. Lately he's been trying to get me into RPGs like RuneScape and Elder Scrolls.

Now I've tried RPGs throughout my years, not liking one bit of them. I'm too simple-minded for all that in-depth gameplay lol. He knows this, but continues to be upset that I won't play his games. Gaming is not a bonding experience for me to boot. I don't ask him to play with me or my games. I couldn't care less. I just like us playing our own as long as we're together and hanging out.
--------
TLDR: My bf wants me to play genres I hate and can't mentally comprehend, what should I do?

Reactions: BigdongSE

Cum_is_Great

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The bf is a big gamer especially when it comes to RPGs. I don't play games much but they usually fall under the map-editing, shooter or horror genres. We've been together for a few years and known each other for several. Lately he's been trying to get me into RPGs like RuneScape and Elder Scrolls.

Now I've tried RPGs throughout my years, not liking one bit of them. I'm too simple-minded for all that in-depth gameplay lol. He knows this, but continues to be upset that I won't play his games. Gaming is not a bonding experience for me to boot. I don't ask him to play with me or my games. I couldn't care less. I just like us playing our own as long as we're together and hanging out.
--------
TLDR: My bf wants me to play genres I hate and can't mentally comprehend, what should I do?

You like shooters and he likes RPGs? Try Borderlands! Action of a shooter and the stats of an RPG combined! I usually dislike shooters as I don't have good reflexes and 3d spacial awareness ingame to do well. But I like borderlands series. There's also Destiny for a shooter RPG experience.

But you did say you don't quite like gaming together as a bonding experience. I just wanted to give a game maybe you both would like, meeting half-way.

Reactions: BigdongSE

StaringIsCaring

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Rpgs tend to be solo only unless they are massive multiplayer ones like world of warcraft.

In our house on xbox save the world on fortnite, where we build and kill zombies and get neat powers and events, is always my husbands go to and the game is designed not to end with new events if you like it.

And for the switch mario kart and mario party.

Even a non gamer like him is always up for those.

Xbox ones are great and about to be cheap. You can try games cheap with gamepass or game sharing (one buys the other also has digitally).

And some games like wolfenstein youngblood (fun short shooter) or no way out (prison escape adventure) you only need one game and two can play on two tvs as long as the other has the trial and gets invited.

ThickFoxie

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
You like shooters and he likes RPGs? Try Borderlands! Action of a shooter and the stats of an RPG combined! I usually dislike shooters as I don't have good reflexes and 3d spacial awareness ingame to do well. But I like borderlands series. There's also Destiny for a shooter RPG experience.

But you did say you don't quite like gaming together as a bonding experience. I just wanted to give a game maybe you both would like, meeting half-way.
Thanks for the suggestion! I watched him play Borderlands for a bit but he didn't like it. We played Destiny too but he got tired of it. That's the trick; he gets sucked into certain games, then drops them completely. Can't keep up. Once he moves on from a game we both like that's it for me

IntactMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Asheville (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I don't think someone who likes RPGs is going to enjoy playing Mario Kart, or an FPS on the same level. I play the Elder Scrolls games and other RPGs (not Runescape, though) and don't get the same type of enjoyment from from those other games. I just started a replay of Fallout 3: New Vegas tonight.

If you want to also play a game that he likes and you can tolerate then maybe try something like Fallout 4. It is marketed as an RPG and has a lot of those elements, but its less of an RPG and more of an FPS than the other games in the series. It takes place in an environment that is pretty entertaining even if you aren't that interested in completing the tasks in the game.

I think that anytime multiple people want to play a game together that has more depth than a party game then they should consider games by Telltale (The Walking Dead, Back to the Future, Game of Thrones) or Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human). These are all very story driven games and rely very little on action sequences. The games are about making decisions and telling a story around those decisions. The ability to effect the environment of the game and the course of the story satisfy some of the RPG elements, and the simple gameplay/control scheme and high quality story telling are more suitable for someone who might want to watch and participate in decisions making without actually taking control themselves. I know several couples that include one gamer and one non-gamer who have had a really good time playing these styles of games together.