Getting to the gym

DewItBig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Typical story: 40 year old guy, haven't been active in YEARS, recently divorced and ready to get my life and health back. 6'7" tall and at my heaviest let myself get to 378lbs. Some medical issues contributed, but it was 95% my own laziness. Doctors have cleared me for anything. Have been making diet changes and am now sitting at 345lbs.

Tomorrow will be my first day at the gym since high school. I read these work out plans talking about burpees and box jumps and yeah that's death waiting to happen given my current level of fitness. So, what tips or plans would you recommend for me?

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
First things first. Congratulations on deciding to get into the gym. The first step is getting in there.
On your first day, if it were me I'd familiarize myself with the basics.

I'd probably start off with the treadmill or bicycle. Then move on to some of the weight machines to get a feel of how they work.

I definitely would not start off with burpees. Build up to other exercises as you go. Some people prefer to work on individual muscle groups on certain days. I've always done a full body workout because that works best for me.

As you get comfortable going to the gym you'll gain confidence and endurance. Just take it at your own pace. It's not going to happen over night, but you will get into better shape. Just be consistent.
Adding something different every week.
The main thing is to enjoy the journey.

Take progress pics to track your accomplishments. Work up a sweat. Weight lifting burns more calories than just cardio alone, so doing both will help burn the calories.
Again congratulations on taking that first step.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The important thing is to be consistent with your intention and keep to a schedule. For me, I make my workout schedule and nothing, I mean NOTHING!, gets precedence over my gym schedule.
And as @Gj816 says weight lifting will boost your metabolism more than cardio. With your lifting, remember that it's progressive overload that builds muscle; so after you are reacquainted with the gym, start keeping records for each lift and then every week plan to increase the weight, increase the reps, or decrease the rest intervals.
Watch your nutrition! A frequent rule of thumb is to determine what your goal for LEAN mass will be (i.e. after your weight loss) and then for each pound you eat 1 gram of protein. Believe me, that if say your goal is to weigh 200#, to eat 200 grams of protein per day is a challenge! But it will ensure that you are satiated and don't have room for junk food.
Also, consider eliminating starchy carbs (white potatoes, pasta, white breads and pastries), sugar and alcohol to decrease your caloric intake and ensure that you avoid metabolic syndrome.
Good luck!

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Typical story: 40 year old guy, haven't been active in YEARS, recently divorced and ready to get my life and health back. 6'7" tall and at my heaviest let myself get to 378lbs. Some medical issues contributed, but it was 95% my own laziness. Doctors have cleared me for anything. Have been making diet changes and am now sitting at 345lbs.

Tomorrow will be my first day at the gym since high school. I read these work out plans talking about burpees and box jumps and yeah that's death waiting to happen given my current level of fitness. So, what tips or plans would you recommend for me?
Perhaps consider a few personal trainer sessions. That way you get familiarized with the equipment and proper (safe) use. Once you have a very basic routine, then you can expand on it safely. The most important thing is to ease into it so you enjoy it. :)

One of the smartest things I ever did was to join a gym that's about a mile from my home. I (briskly) walk to and from it almost every visit. That gets my cardio out of the way. ;)

Japabrus

Admired Member
Media
New York City, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I have an excellent coach and friend who can get you back on track on diet and training

Reactions: Gj816

DewItBig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Thank you all for the advice. I met with a personal trainer / nutritionist today and decided to move forward with him helping me out and getting me started.

I’m more motivated than I’ve ever been in my life. Now is the time to do this! It was harder at 30 than it was at 20, harder at 40 than it was at 30…. It’s not going to get any easier so it’s time to get it now!

JJ_Jumbo

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Think of it as a journey… baby steps to reach a goal will help keep you motivated by your own actions

it’s never easy to start and we all worry about others judging… just remember we all started at someplace and that those who remember that are rooting for you to succeed

52 years young here and no plans to stop !!!!

peepsbeach

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I’m just getting back to the gym, too. Gained 40 pounds this year. If you want a buddy to report to and stay accountable hit me up. I could use it, too.

Reactions: Gj816 and DewItBig

BodyWorkerNEPA

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm in a situation where I really want to get back into a fitness routine but I lack motivation. I have a home gym I'd be happy to share with someone, or zoom workouts together remotely.

D

deleted871301

I stopped smoking 4 months before I turned 50 and returned to gym the day after I turned 51.

Well done with executing your plan of action to turn your life around!

D

deleted20494151

Start slow and build up.

There's a mental and physical demand with the gym, you need to find your balance.

For example, my body can handle 6 days a week but mentally I can't. They'll be a sweet spot where both work for you.