Grammy's

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Man with all the talent on this show you would think they'd have great sound systems, You could hardly hear Chris Martin when Cold Play was on. Could barely hear Carrie Underwood, Same for Kid Rock. What a disappointment. Even when Justin sang with Green it sounded like crap. Maybe it will get better. I watching it over the air I wouldn't think that would be it. Anyone else notice the same.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rant time.

Grammy nominations are submitted by the major record companies. They are the most illegitimate, rigged thing I've seen short of the last time Saddam Hussein got elected. The winners are decided by voting members of the RIAA, but the nominations themselves are pure and simple publicity tools, without even an Academy or some guise of a legitimate 3rd party. They are the most bullshit ruse of corporate drive disguised as aesthetic legitimacy I've ever seen

I fucking hate the Grammys

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
Rant time.

Grammy nominations are submitted by the major record companies. They are the most illegitimate, rigged thing I've seen short of the last time Saddam Hussein got elected. The winners are decided by voting members of the RIAA, but the nominations themselves are pure and simple publicity tools, without even an Academy or some guise of a legitimate 3rd party. They are the most bullshit ruse of corporate drive disguised as aesthetic legitimacy I've ever seen

Does this mean that there were better albums than Viva la Vida in 2008?

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I only tuned in to hear the performances, I could care less who get awards, as you say there meaningless. I was glad though to see Hudson get hers even though what she was wearing looked like it was designed by a Klingon. Still wish I could have heard Carrie Underwood when she sang.

password123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rant time.

+1
All these music award shows are pure publicity is right. Absolutely nothing to do with talent and good music.

Tank30

Expert Member
Media
I think I enjoyed Adele the most. She is so beautiful to me. Oh and I enjoyed watching M.I.A., Looked like her baby was about to pop out right there on stage when she was dancing.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

but.............both my grammies are dead!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The show just got more and more lame, especially when the RIAA crap started and the Obama stuff, RIAA crying for legislation, come on give me a fucking break. Only the rich are allowed to get richer and expect legislation to assure it.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Congrats to Adele for her 2 Grammys. Well deserved.

I should say, I will not shit all over many Grammy winners. Their music is rarely the "best" in whatever category, as music taste is one of the most subjective things I know of, but they almost always are creating quality music. I have a particular interest in popular music. Aesthetically marred as it may be I find it fascinating to see what is popular and try to discern why, and the Grammys often do encapsulate some strange combination of popular music's popularity and quality. For that reason, Rising Sand was an excellent choice for album of the year.

But that said, congrats to Adele on her record label thinking she deserved a Grammy and the RIAA agreeing :tongue:

EDIT: I 'll also give a shout out to Joe Satriani, for winning best song :D

Last edited:

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i have a degree in Music Business...my "industry" is the record biz, the radio biz, etc...and it absolutely disgusts me that the Grammys are supposed to represent my industry...im almost personally embarrassed by it.

like Qua said, its all a publicity tool...Plant & Krauss won for best single last year, best album this year, simply because the label submitted the single in time to be eligible for last year's awards, but didnt release the album in time...
so the label was smart in splitting up the times, therefore keeping the duet in the public eye for an extra year...not to say Robert Plant really needs the help to be famous, but you get my point...

the most well-known debacle is the first Heavy Metal grammy going to Jethro Tull...i also remember a few years ago, Paul McCartney was nominated in the "Best Alternative Album" category...its a travesty.