- Joined
- May 21, 2004
- Posts
- 11,227
- Media
- 0
- Likes
- 66
- Points
- 258
- Location
- Workin' up a good pot of mad!
- Sexuality
- 100% Straight, 0% Gay
- Gender
- Female
That's odd-I thought he was dead and quite a while back.
Come to think of it, in many ways he was.
So. Senator No is d-e-a-d. I'm nearly speechless, I wonder how Weld and Castro are reacting to this.
In closing, Jesse Helms will be missed (not necessarily by me though). Sleep peacefully Mr.Helms, you angered many; yet stood your ground-maybe that'll be helpful in your new locale.
Alright, Naughty, I'll say it for you (and I hope I get it right):
I feel for his family and friends in their time of grief. I won't celebrate the death of the man, but I will celebrate the death of his politics.
(Hmm, funny... I said almost exactly the same thing when Ronnie Reagan bit the dust.)
Well, that's probably a matter of perspective. I'm guessing (your profile notwithstanding) that you are neither a homosexual nor a Negro. His politics were unsettlingly "klannish."i suspect he did more good than harm...but his long tenure as senator was way too long...term limits are needed at every level of government..new blood in politics keep them all honest
The question was aimed at someone else, but I'll jump in. You may be thinking about Strom Thurmond and/or Robert Byrd, both of whom started out as thundering racists and later (at least in public) mended their ways.*snip*
Naughty, am I confusing him with someone else, or did he recant a lot of his youthful bigotry? Now that I think about it, haven't a lot of politicians with his philosophical history recanted their youthful ideology in their later years?
Well, that's probably a matter of perspective. I'm guessing (your profile notwithstanding) that you are neither a homosexual nor a Negro. His politics were unsettlingly "klannish."
Naughty, am I confusing him with someone else, or did he recant a lot of his youthful bigotry? Now that I think about it, haven't a lot of politicians with his philosophical history recanted their youthful ideology in their later years?
I was once told by a Helms apologist that his policies were all dictated to him by his churlish, bigoted, hateful wife. But even while I heard this it seemed almost impossible to believe.
I have never heard a politician in my adulthood spew such toxic hate directed at so many, and I can only hope that he's being shown the (many) errors of this ways right now.
We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.