Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ok I know that this has probably been discussed a million times already, but what is the best way to lose weight around the stomach and waist. I'm not really fat, but I have a lot more fat than I would like around my waist, especially my love handles! I hate them! and I would like to get rid of what look like the beginning of man boobs if I get bigger one day, which I want to prevent! What would you guys suggest? I'm 18 and in college by the way, so I wanna get in shape to look good for the ladies and be more confident around my all-men's dorm.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
weights, cardio and lots of crunches. I lost six stone (84lbs) and to start with I had to work out nearly every other day. If your only loosing a small ammount you wont need to be so hardcore but it does take discipline. Don't crash diet, keep your calories up just get them from good sources, lots of veg and lean meats, skimmed milk e.t.c. if you can give up sugar and caffeine so much the better.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's late here, so just a quick missive:

You can't target fat-loss to any particular part of the body - fat distribution is genetically determined. (Though if slack abs are contributing to your belly that can be corrected.)

Healthy eating and exercise are key. Even if that's just cutting down on sugar and walking more.

Dieting only works for iron-willed people and usually fails and leads to even greater weight-gain in the long term. Oh, and artificial sweetners are counter-productive.

Good luck!

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
No sodas / no chips / ice cream or pizza... just common sense healthy eating of fruits and vegies... and exercise to burn off calories..
I always find it interesting that most people will pay lots of cash and do almost anything to lose weight, EXCEPT eat less and exercise more...

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I lost about 10lbs in a couple of months simply from drinking solely water and walking everywhere instead of taking public transit.

You don't have to diet or work-out excessive amounts, but be smart about it. Avoid the junk food, especially things that are fried, chose whole-wheat over white when you can and walk when it's conventional (in regards to time).

D_Drew Peacock

Experimental Member
Media
One old saw that has not been mentioned is "eat after 8, gain weight." Just shorthand doggerel for the fact that midninght snacks tend to be applied directly to the places you least want them. If it were only an apple or a carrot, no problem but it usually comes down pizza beer and deep-fried something-greasy. I find eating after Supper to be a definite no-no. 55 pounds lost so far, 20 to 30 to go.A

oh, and the slower you lose it, the less likely it is to come back. Don't diet, just change your preferences if you want to keep the weight off. One other thing I do is simply ban seconds. A plate only holds so much.

Good luck!

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
One old saw that has not been mentioned is "eat after 8, gain weight." Just shorthand doggerel for the fact that midninght snacks tend to be applied directly to the places you least want them.

I've never understood this theory :confused: Surely a calorie, is still a calorie no matter which part of the day it is?

For example, if you eat "X" amount of calories before 8pm/"Y" amount after 8pm, instead of "X" after 8pm/"Y" amount before 8pm, you will still be eating "X+Y" in an entire day right? :confused:

Just because you are less active after 8pm, when you look at the whole picture from a 24 hour timescale, it all balances out regardless of what time you eat?

D_Drew Peacock

Experimental Member
Media
It seems to work for me and It makes sense to me. Calories taken in at breakfast actually kick-start the metabolism. If you skip breakfast, the body goes into starvation mode and tries to store as much as it can. If you eat just before going to bed, the body is winding down with all this nutrition on board. It is much less likely to burn those calories and more likely to just store at least some because it is slowed down for the night.

I've never understood this theory :confused: Surely a calorie, is still a calorie no matter which part of the day it is?

For example, if you eat "X" amount of calories before 8pm/"Y" amount after 8pm, instead of "X" after 8pm/"Y" amount before 8pm, you will still be eating "X+Y" in an entire day right? :confused:

Just because you are less active after 8pm, when you look at the whole picture from a 24 hour timescale, it all balances out regardless of what time you eat?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

I never understood that either.
And it turns out that the idea is false.
A calorie is a calorie is a calorie ... at 10 in the evening, no less than 10 in the morning.

HaroldZoid

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
No sodas / no chips / ice cream or pizza... just common sense healthy eating of fruits and veg[g]ies... and exercise to burn off calories..
I always find it interesting that most people will pay lots of cash and do almost anything to lose weight, EXCEPT eat less and exercise more...

That's exactly right. Eating well and developing a serious fitness regimen is going to make way more difference than the time at which you eat (assuming that has any effect at all).

Bigski seems to have it figured out. Fitness is a lifestyle.

Londo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I lost close to 10 pounds pretty quick from just cutting out soda and iced tea. Granted I drank a lot of coke and nestea.

But find some torrents to some p90x vids like kenpo x, plyometrics, ab ripper x, and if you have weights, or bands the other vids.

D_Fletchyer Flagpole

Sexy Member
Media
Ok I know that this has probably been discussed a million times already, but what is the best way to lose weight around the stomach and waist. I'm not really fat, but I have a lot more fat than I would like around my waist, especially my love handles! I hate them! and I would like to get rid of what look like the beginning of man boobs if I get bigger one day, which I want to prevent! What would you guys suggest? I'm 18 and in college by the way, so I wanna get in shape to look good for the ladies and be more confident around my all-men's dorm.

Hey Young:

Read your post and figured I'd try to give you some of the tips that have worked for me.

This is just some of my routine. Remember before starting to check with your doctor to make sure he /she gives you the OK and start light/slow and GRADUALLY increase the weights and intensity of your routine.

Once you get the approval to begin an exercise program, you can train 3-5 days a week.

To help with reducing bodyfat, you'll want to incorporate some good cardio exercises into your training. You can go swimming, bicycling or even 20 minutes of jump roping twice weekly will help kick up your metabolism and help burn excess fat.

For weight training, your sessions should be short - anywhere between 30-60 minutes.
It is best to train each body part once a week.
You can benefit the most by using compound exercises--exercises which involve more than one muscle such as:
Bench Press
Squats
Shoulder press
Rows
Deadlifts

If you increase the volume, then it's best to keep the intensity lower. Volume and intensity are inversely related. So just the opposite is true-if the volume is low, then keep the intensity high.
Keep sets at around 5-8 per body part and they should be
based on what body part you are working. For the larger muscle groups (legs, back, chest) you can be in the upper set range and for the smaller muscle groups (shoulders, arms) you should be in the lower set range.
The reps can be anywhere between 8-15.
Here are some sample workout routines (order of days can vary):
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Legs/Shoulders
Day 3: Back/Biceps

Day 1: Chest/Biceps
Day 2: Leg/Shoulders
Day 3: Back/Triceps

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders/Arms

Day 2: Back/Shoulders
Day 4: Arms

Day 2: Back
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Arms
Day 2: Quads/Calves
Day 3: Back
Day 4: Hams/Shoulders
Day 5: Arms

Below is a list of foods that are great for weight trainers–or anyone actually:

Proteins:
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (Salmon, Sea Bass, Halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
Complex Carbs
Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (Pinto, Black, Kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Pasta
Rice (White, Jasmine, Basmati, Arborio, Wild)
Potatoes (Red, Baking, New)
Fibrous Carbs:
Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Spinach
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Celery
Other Produce & Fruits:
Cucumber Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini
Fruit (if acceptable on diet): Bananas, Apples, Grapefruit, Peaches, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries
Lemons or Limes
Healthy Fats
Natural Style Peanut Butter or Almond Butter,
Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Almond Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Nuts, (Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts)
Olive, Canola and Peanut - Monounsaturated Oils
Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Soybean and Cottonseed - Polyunsaturated Oils
Leafy Veggies, Seeds, Nuts, Grains - Omega-6
Veggie Oils (Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Soybean, and Cottonseed), and poultry fat - Omega-6
Oils (Canola, Flaxseed, Soybean, Walnut, Wheat Germ; Canola or Soybean oil) - Omega-3
Nuts and Seeds (Butternuts, Flaxseeds, Walnuts, Soybeans) - Omega-3
Fatty Coldwater Fish (Mackerel, Salmon, Bluefish, Mullet, Sablefish) - EPA and DHA
More Fish (Menhaden, Anchovy, Herring, Lake Trout, Sardines and Tuna) - EPA and DHA

Speaking about diet, cooking is about as interesting as watching wet cement or paint dry for me also. But my wife isn't always around to cook for me, so I've had to venture into the kitchen or starve.

What you want to do to help yourself--clean out the junk--all the processed stuff needs to be tossed. Next, don't ever go food shopping on an empty stomach. You end up buying junk on impulse because of hunger.

Next step--remember what Mom always told you--no besides that. Eat your veggies. Get lots of color--reds--tomatoes and peppers, greens, broccolli, spinach, green beans, etc.

If you want bread, go for whole wheat--the complex carbs. They take longer to digest, have lower glycemic rates and keep you fuller longer. Get some oatmeal. The kind that "Cooks in One Minute". Far better that the processed instant kind. Try some brown rice instead of potatoes. Not as many carbs and healthier.

When buying meat, the leaner the better. Go for skinnless chicken and turkey. Incorporate fish into your meal plans. If you need a steak--I know I do--get the leanest cut possible.

Now as for actually cooking, this has worked for me. Make some meals ahead of time and stick them in the freezer. Take out what you want when you leave for work in the morning and then microwave it when you get home.

Again, these are just a few ideas and I hope they help. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. As always, thanks for the post and take care.

piercedjobbie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cut out the sugar, cut out the fat, exercise and exercise - plus you might want to take a look at CLA - conjugated linoleic acid - not for getting high etc, but it targets the middle and might help. Pull it up on Wikipedia - no dumb ads - and see if it makes any sense to you. Good luck

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Good weight loss tip I heard a while ago: Don't eat anything white. No potatoes, no white bread, no ice cream, cake. Avoid salt, sugar, and flour in general. Choose brown rice over white, whole wheat instead of white bread and pasta. These are things to avoid just to stay in good health, but if you cut them out of your intake and don't replace them with other junk, you'll lose weight.

I have always found that I am responsive to cardio and and light weight work at the gym. This approach would probably work for just about anyone. You can actually buy a thick belt at a sporting goods store or even Target that is supposed to help you lose weight in the midriff area. I'd like to try it but i think it might look strange at the gym.

D_Willieford Blabbermouth

Account Disabled
Media
yeh what i was going to say has been said...

basically...

EAT BREAKFAST - your body has generally gone without food for atleast 8 hours. Your metabolism needs a wake up just like you. By not eating breakfast your body goes into shock and doesnt work to its full potential

CUTTING OUT SIMPLE SUGARS - easier said than done. sometimes its easier to cut down rather then cut out. depending on how much you have you might go through withdrawl... I did.

BUILD MUSCLE - building muscle is the best thing to do. might appear that you become "fatter" but it will pay off. Muscles burn energy moreso and quicker than anything else. The more muscle you have the more energy you use... even while you study.

TARGET FAT LOSS - is a myth! Hands down thats it.

EATING AFTER 8 - sorta false sorta true... it should be dont eat once you feel tired. This is your body going into sleep mode, includes your motabolism. If you eat once it shuts down it has a whole bunch of energy to transform in fat.

Hope this helps.

Any questions message me, im going through this process too.

Good Luck