Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Before someone here goes crazy in fury.... I actually DID use the search function.... and besides, I hardly ever write a thread so, please :wink:

I was told that water based lubricants are the best when it comes to sex with a condom, since apparently the other ones might "render the effect of the condom useless". So as first I'd like to know if that's true...

Second, I was wondering what'd be the best when not using a condom...

Third... where do you get lube... some people speak of getting them at a local chemist's, other say about online shops.... is the deal that big?

And last.... is Vaseline really not a lube at all? When I came to this website people said vaseline could be used as it, but now I hear some people say it can't so could some tell me how it looks in reality?

Thanks for your time and effort.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gun oil is good either way...and good in water. *trying to find a better one to stay on in the hot tub*

I've used Alboline before when not using a condom with the bf...

but JD is right...I.D. Glide is a safe bet...or wet platinum...

D_Teasdale Tittithorne

Experimental Member
Media
I second the Astroglide vote. Good in any situation... except maybe the hot tub.

I'd say no to the Vaseline...

And since I'm in the states and you're in Poland, I don't know the best place for you to get lube, but I'm thinking online might be the easiest and give you the best selection (and a good website would have ratings and descriptions and all that good stuff). You can check out http://www.goodvibes.com/ to see all there is out there, but I don't think they'd deliver to you...

Good luck!

Last edited:

JMc

Sexy Member
Media
Joseph,

To answer the questions you posed:

Vaseline is a petroleum derivative (petroleum jelly, as it says on the label). It will weaken and dissolve latex rubber, leading to obvious issues with rubber condoms. Virtually every condom package in the US warns against use of any lotion, cream or jelly that is derived from a petroleum product or with a solvent that attacks latex.

Condom-safe lubes fall into two broad categories, water-based and silicone-based. Both can work well for what is usually designated euphemistically as "intimate contact." With these two types, the trade-off tends to be easier clean-up (with water based lube) versus longer-lasting lubrication (silicone). My personal favorites are Wet Platinum and Gun Oil (silicone based) and Astroglide (water based). Happy gliding!

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
vaseline is lubricant but not "ideal"
and downright wrong if you are using a latex condom.

the only 2 lubes for sex that are sold as such are
water-based and silcone.

silcone is very very slick and is a PAIN to get off.
water-based is not as slick but less of a pain.

some good water-based lubes are...
astroglide
ID
J.O.
Moist
WET
KY jelly

good silcone lubes would be
PJUR
Moist (silcone)
Lucky
Anabolic Bodyglide
(silcone lube is better for anal sex)

lgtrmusr

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Latex condoms weaken and tear, quickly, with oil based lubricants. This includes Vaseline, vegetable oil, cold cream, most hand creams, and so on. If you want to prove this to yourself, try jacking with a latex condom and Vaseline as a lubricant -- you will be surprised at how quickly the condom tears. This limitation does not apply to polyisoprene condoms like LifeStyles SKYN. Oil based lubricants do not weaken them.

Vaseline, as a lubricant, stays for a long time and is sometimes avoided because of the residue it leaves inside vaginas and rectums. Some feel it can harbor or promote infections.

The silicone and water based lubricants are fine with latex condoms. The water based ones evaporate more quickly, but are easier to wash off with soap and water. They differ in thickness (viscosity) and slickness. Experiment. Enjoy.

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
so water based and silicone based... Well ok but.. once again, what are the pros and cons of these two? In this thread I saw people saying opposite things about the same type of lube, which confuses me.

D_Teasdale Tittithorne

Experimental Member
Media
Well here's a good start to the water/silicone base debate...

vaseline is lubricant but not "ideal"
and downright wrong if you are using a latex condom.

the only 2 lubes for sex that are sold as such are
water-based and silcone.

silcone is very very slick and is a PAIN to get off.
water-based is not as slick but less of a pain.

some good water-based lubes are...
astroglide
ID
J.O.
Moist
WET
KY jelly

good silcone lubes would be
PJUR
Moist (silcone)
Lucky
Anabolic Bodyglide
(silcone lube is better for anal sex)

And, more on Water-based Vs. Silicone-based:

Water-based lubricants, such as Astroglide, IDGlide, and your KY (available in most US grocery stores), are designed to absorb into the skin, so they help with vaginal dryness. However, because they absorb into the skin, it's sometimes necessary to reapply additional lubrication during sexual activity. Water-based lubes are very gentle and non-irritating and are great to use during vaginal intercourse. Every woman should have her own supply for solo sex! Water-based lubricants are compatible with latex and polyurethane condoms, as well as with all bedroom accessories. And the clean-up is super easy.

Silicone-based lubricants, such as Gun Oil, Wet Platinum, PJUR/Eros (which seems the most accessible to you), and Piston (which I was unable to find much info on) are not designed to absorb into the skin, making them very long-lasting. They are completely waterproof so they can be used in the shower, pool, hot tub, or any watery situation you can get yourself into. Silicone-based lubes are also very slick and smooth, making for a very comfortable experience. These are compatible with latex and polyurethane condoms, but they are not compatible with toys that are made of silicone because the silicone-based lubricant will dissolve the material of the silicone toys. So if you're playing with toys, leave this one alone. If however, you're just going skin-to-skin (with protection of course), this is a good choice; great for anal since it won't dry out! The downside is that clean-up isn't as easy as the water-based lubes, and the silicone-based lubes might stain the sheets.

I think it's been pretty well established that Vaseline is not a good option since there are all these other great products out there, and I'd also stay away from the anti-stick oil for frying pans mentioned above. :wink:

Bottom line, you should just experiment to see what works best for you. Good luck!

Or, what specifically confuses you? Maybe a more specific question will get you the answers you are looking for.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The most available and common water-based is KY Jelly or cream. It's available just about everywhere in the world, because physicians and hospitals tend to use it exclusively as a lubricant. So, where there are hospitals and lots of farmácias, chemists, pharmacies, and Walgreens you'll be able to buy KY. It's no better or worse than others, such as Astroglide. However, Astroglide does have a non-sucrous sweetener that makes it less "medical" tasting.

Love the silicone-based lubes such as Gun Oil and Wet (made by the same company yet bought and distributed by other companies). They last and last, especially when fucking in the warm blue waters of the Carribé or in a mosh pit of hot, muscled, gorgeous horny men clad in condoms. But it does take a bit of extra scrubbing to get rid of all the residue.

OK, fine. Now I've got an erection. Happy?

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What? no mention of crisco, j-lube or in a pinch, cream pie filling (don't ask, really :))

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yep, J-lube....cheap, mixes easily and a little goes a long way (keep it refrigerated also)... tho it DOES look like..snot but...