Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Okay I’m off work this week with a deadly chest infection. Saw the doctor and yes, I’ll live (thanks for asking) but I’m on antibiotics and a steroid puffer.

So other than the fact that I can post like crazy, I was thinking about weird cures and things that we do to makes ourselves feel better.

I had a mom straight from Poland. She used to make the onion cure. Know what that is? I will tell you.

Slice an onion. Get white sugar. Alternate layers of onion and sugar in a glass jar. Cover tightly. Let it sit on the counter overnight. Force your sick “loved ones” to drink this by the tablespoon until they convince you they aren’t sick anymore. Refrigerate the leftovers. Get rid of the evidence in a couple of days.

So got anything worse? Anything better?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had a grandmother straight from Poland. But I never had the good fortune of having that cure. My other Polish grandma ( but born in the US) would soak buckeyes in some some clear liquid (water? Everclear?) and use it as a rub for arthritis. I think it was a rub. I hope she didn’t drink it. But I wouldn’t have been surprised if she did.

You could always shred horseradish by hand and breathe in the fumes. That’ll open ya up.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I had a grandmother straight from Poland. But I never had the good fortune of having that cure. My other Polish grandma ( but born in the US) would soak buckeyes in some some clear liquid (water? Everclear?) and use it as a rub for arthritis. I think it was a rub. I hope she didn’t drink it. But I wouldn’t have been surprised if she did.

You could always shred horseradish by hand and breathe in the fumes. That’ll open ya up.
Omg. Us Polish folks can take anything and turn it into a cure. And the other half of me is Indigenous - ain’t no part of anything going to waste!

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Omg. Us Polish folks can take anything and turn it into a cure. And the other half of me is Indigenous - ain’t no part of anything going to waste!

I think sometimes Polish people use awful folk remedies to cure happiness.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this picture of Polish man’s reaction to a journalist isn’t an entirely inaccurate stereotype.

Last edited:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Oh my god, my bobcia used to force this very cure on me! (Maternal side of family is Polish.)

Other cures.

My mom used to fill a bathtub with cold water and rubbing alcohol. Make me sit in bath for 20 minutes. Takes care of fever??

Hot water and salt gargle water. Ugh.

Garlic toast. Not the fun kind you have with spaghetti. Raw garlic on toast. Like so much garlic that your skin reeks of it for 24-48 hours.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh my god, my bobcia used to force this very cure on me! (Maternal side of family is Polish.)

Other cures.

My mom used to fill a bathtub with cold water and rubbing alcohol. Make me sit in bath for 20 minutes. Takes care of fever??

Hot water and salt gargle water. Ugh.

Garlic toast. Not the fun kind you have with spaghetti. Raw garlic on toast. Like so much garlic that your skin reeks of it for 24-48 hours.
Omg! We’re both from the same homeland! Wasn’t that stuff awful? I used to die a little inside when I saw that jar coming toward me. :confounded:

My bobcia also believed in raw garlic. And lemons and honey. I liked the lemons and honey, though.

Reactions: Enid

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
My family always gets the hottest batch of green chili available when someone gets sick. Whether it's the flu, a cold, chest infection... Eat some super hot, fresh green chili with crushed garlic.

It's never been called a "cure" but it clears out the sinuses and gets you breathing. The vitamin C is a general recommendation to boost immune function anyway, and chili has more than citrus fruits.

Reactions: Enid and INCUBUS

INCUBUS

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My family always gets the hottest batch of green chili available when someone gets sick. Whether it's the flu, a cold, chest infection... Eat some super hot, fresh green chili with crushed garlic.

It's never been called a "cure" but it clears out the sinuses and gets you breathing. The vitamin C is a general recommendation to boost immune function anyway, and chili has more than citrus fruits.

Hatch green chili is the best chili around and hot as fuck. Prolly why it known/sold world wide

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Hatch green chili is the best chili around and hot as fuck. Prolly why it known/sold world wide

I do love that Hatch chili... We grow some good shit in our county too, but it's just not quite the same.

If I ever have to move, I'm gonna have my relatives regularly send me batches of red and green chilies. I don't think I'd live very long without it...

INCUBUS

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

No illness would dare stick around hot chilies and garlic. I think I’d pass out!

1 Tbs of Yellow mustard and 1 Tbs of Apple cider vinegar daily as a cure all

Salad dressing? :grinning:

Btw, @LaFemme .. you've already had such a rough year, I can't believe how positive and wonderful your demeanor remains. Props to you, badass woman.

You fucking rock.

I don’t know. If I get upset about it, how’s that going to help? Just keep on, keeping on. Not dead yet. ;)

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ah, the classic odd central/east European folk remedies. My grandmother was Austrian, she used to come up with some really weird folk remedies, trying to cure arthritis with horseradish under the knee, rubbing alcohol was used for EVERYTHING.

But one that would likely make you feel a little more comfortable would be combining honey, lemon and hot water. Classic but it's nice to drink to (and way less weird and more effective than the other two I mentioned).

Reactions: LaFemme and Enid

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh hatch chilis are the bomb! HEB supermarkets around home would roast the chilis during season outside their store. That smell! I could not resist. I always came home with a big bag! Soooo good. Roasting takes away some of the sting and leaves the flavor. Yum!

My Mum's remedy for any illness was always a huge mug of warm tea with lots of lemon. So much lemon! She would sometimes put zest in the bottom of a cup before pouring the tea.

Dad's go to for anything was DMSO, which is a liniment he used to use on horses, and his elbows and shoulders! I don't think it's FDA approved, so you can't get it over the counter, but if you're friends with a veterinarian! That stuff is pretty awesome as it penetrates so quickly.

A few years ago I was home visiting and went horseback riding. I fell in the barn and hurt my shoulder pretty badly. The DMSO penetrated quickly, but it didn't ease the pain all that much. So I rubbed some Biofreeze on it and then had a bright idea. Why not rub the DMSO on top of the Biofreeze? Don't do that. It penetrated so deeply that it burned like hell! But it did make me feel better more quickly. But that burn was almost unbearable!

Reactions: LaFemme

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media

It'll open you up at both ends.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
Grandma was the worst with home remedies. She was born in 1891.
Salt water gargle seems to be universal. Honey and lemon too. The honey soothes, and lemons open up congested areas. Put the juice of a whole fresh lemon in a glass of water. Drink it at least 5 times a day until the congestion has broken up. You'll swear you're getting worse because it's working. Salt water up the nose to cut mucus.
Don't forget having to soak anything injured in boiling hot Epsom salts water. Poultice made from peach tree bark. Enemas for fever. Buttermilk baths to get rid of freckles.
The most dreaded one of all, a fresh bottle of Iodine. If you stepped on something, a swab of fresh Iodine was jabbed deep in the wound hole. Trust me, you'd be super careful from then on. My brother did it once. He screamed so loudly that I never went barefooted in my grandparents yard.

Reactions: LaFemme