OK... somebody needs to stop!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My dear brother was going down the NFL roster and came up with these gems. When will people stop naming their children things like this...

D'Briccashaw, Na' il , Lavernious, Dwan, De metric, Ya mone, Aubrayo,Yaramiah, Le Roi, Cletus, Jabari, Atari,Tyjuan, Montrae, Daven,Santonio, D'quell, Tenard, Davaris, Edgerrin,Dewan, Leron, Vonta,Marshawn,Olindo, Ruvell, Trumaine,Martrez,Kawika, Maweldi, Vernan,Sinorice, Legedu, Jarious, Artose, Lusaka,Montae, Dunta, Antrell,Demeco,Turdell, Le Kevin, Shawntay,Takeo,Montavious, Dontarious,Juqua, Kiwaukee, Lebrandin. Ledanian,Deshea, Jerheme, Ronyell, Tavell, Lindele, Demorrio, Medieu, Roydell, Kamerian.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My dear brother was going down the NFL roster and came up with these gems. When will people stop naming their children things like this...
D'Briccashaw, Na' il , Lavernious, Dwan, De metric, Ya mone, Aubrayo,Yaramiah, Le Roi, Cletus, Jabari, Atari,Tyjuan, Montrae, Daven,Santonio, D'quell, Tenard, Davaris, Edgerrin,Dewan, Leron, Vonta,Marshawn,Olindo, Ruvell, Trumaine,Martrez,Kawika, Maweldi, Vernan,Sinorice, Legedu, Jarious, Artose, Lusaka,Montae, Dunta, Antrell,Demeco,Turdell, Le Kevin, Shawntay,Takeo,Montavious, Dontarious,Juqua, Kiwaukee, Lebrandin. Ledanian,Deshea, Jerheme, Ronyell, Tavell, Lindele, Demorrio, Medieu, Roydell, Kamerian.

My dad calls those, "Made up back to Africa names." :tongue:
In my extended family we have a Gywanna, Ahmir, 2 Anaya's, and I can't forget the twins, Tamika & Tanika :rolleyes:.

A good way to make a final decision on a baby name is to type the childs full name on the top of a sheet of paper as if it were a resume. Montavious Leroy Jackson might be the valedictorian of his class in high school and graduate summa cum laude, but nobody in HR is going to see that name on a resume and think, "I want him in accounting!" Ditto for Shananey, Laquita, Sharonda, etc. For Gods sake people think about your childs future! :mad:

Reactions: Bboy1111

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was very picky when I named my son. His first name is a little bit different, but his middle name is very normal, so if he has issues, he can just go by his middle name. :smile:

I also hate when parents name their kids with the same first name as last name... I went to school with a Thomas Thompson and a Carl Carlson. That's just mean. I also read in the paper a few years back about some computer nerd who named his kid after him... but instead of naming him "2nd" or "Jr" he named him "v2.0". No joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Bboy1111

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aquila, Tamu, Jaquai, Kumi, Velida

These are from my extended family.

My name is very common for girls nowadays, but I remember when I was the only girl in my school not named, Donna, Mary, Tina or Tony.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lets not forget Lemonjello & Orangejello. Honest name of twin boys.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lots of people like to poke fun at all the Condoleezzas and DeShawns out there, but I'm not laughing. All names were just "made up" at some point.

What does a name require? What are the rules? I would invite Naughty to study the etymology of common old names that she would not consider ignorant. There's not much rhyme or reason to any of them.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lots of people like to poke fun at all the Condoleezzas and DeShawns out there, but I'm not laughing. All names were just "made up" at some point.

What does a name require? What are the rules? I would invite Naughty to study the etymology of common old names that she would not consider ignorant. There's not much rhyme or reason to any of them.

My first name is fairly common but my middle name is a "made up" name, and I actually prefer (greatly!) my middle name, and go by it! Very few people outside my family and the community I grew up in even know what my first name is!

The only time I had trouble because of my name (maybe? among other things?) in looking for a job was interviewing at a place where the hiring manager was the father of one of the kids who picked on me in high school, and he was acting just like his daughter and her friends! :rolleyes: (That's part of the problem with growing up in a small town...) I mean, I could have gone by my first name, which everyone knows how to pronounce and all that, but no, I choose to go by a name which everyone mangles the pronounciation and spelling! :biggrin1: But oh well... I happen to like it better, and actually I hate my (more common) first name!

Are these, made-up back to Africa names? (Great line!) I've, perhaps naively, thought that they were African or Afro-American names. Duh on me.

My feeling is that if you're not an immigrant and you have to spell your name for the average person to get it right then it's a poor name. Include in that all the names that are pronounced as a common name but spelled creatively, which is just plain annoying and nothing more than an attempt by the parents to show off their creativity.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My feeling is that if you're not an immigrant and you have to spell your name for the average person to get it right then it's a poor name. Include in that all the names that are pronounced as a common name but spelled creatively, which is just plain annoying and nothing more than an attempt by the parents to show off their cretinity....

I revised your quote... :wink:

("Cretinity" -- coined from the term, cretinism: a congenital disease characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter, caused by absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Most of my black friends have regular anglisized names like Greg, Sandra, Paul, Celia...etc. I only know a few with unique names or heard of them through them or they are common celebs.

Some are great names I wish I had thought of, most are uber sexy women's names. It's funny how many sound French:

Beyonce
Naomi
D'or
Sade
Godwin
Jizelle
Shania (SHAH-nee-ah)

Some are not:
Usher
Urine (uhr-EYE-nee)
Female (fee-MAAL-ee)
Butler
Chablis
Rowanda
Prince
Queen Latifah

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I kid you not. I used to work with inner city kids in St. Louis in High School. There was this family of 4 children. In this order, oldest to youngest, their names were:

Laticia, Lavert, Laron, and the poor youngest kid was Lafred.

God I gotta love ethnically astute naming. :rolleyes:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are these, made-up back to Africa names? (Great line!) I've, perhaps naively, thought that they were African or Afro-American names. Duh on me.

My feeling is that if you're not an immigrant and you have to spell your name for the average person to get it right then it's a poor name. Include in that all the names that are pronounced as a common name but spelled creatively, which is just plain annoying and nothing more than an attempt by the parents to show off their creativity.

Er... well, I have a "poor name" by that criteria. Or, rather, one of my names is - the one I choose to go by (middle name). My first name is easy to spell and pronounce, but I don't like it at all.